LegacyGT.com

Unbiased opinions please

I'm looking for unbiased opinions here.

My ma owns a 97 legacy wagon. hence the name.

But I myself, was wondering what you guys would say is better?

The two cars im looking at are a 98 legacy 2.5 Gt limited -black

And a 88 Honda prelude SI 4WS (4 wheel steering)- black

the legacy is in showroom condition. High performance plugs, brand new tires, parked underground, all belts changed. $5,242 (CAD) insurance is 1100/yr

The prelude is family owned and i could get a reasonable price. It has rust, exhaust pipe on the ground(mounts probably gave), sitting for 5 years, left rear tire cant hold pressure for more than 2 weeks. needs work.

$500~$1500 - insurance is 800/yr

i dont know which to go for.

It depends what you are looking for in a car. The prelude obviously being the cheaper car, and Hondas are notoriously cheaper to maintain and also last a long while. But the Prelude is also an 88, which may sacrifice safety and luxuries that you might want in a car.

The Legacy GT is more expensive but you can also look at it being a well built car. AWD over AWS anyday. I never really felt AWS in the few cars I have driven with them to make it worth it. In fact I had a friend flip a car up a hill because his car had AWS and it gave him too much correction or some BS. The Subaru will also hold its value for a long time and might be less of a headache, but that can't be said for sure. My judgement might be a little off since my mind feels clouded but wait for other people to chime in, also do lots of research on both, can't go wrong there :)

• I Donated

In my experience a car that has been sitting for an extended period of time developes so many leaks from dry rotted seals its not even funny.

Its usually not worth getting into a car thats been sitting. The AWS would be cool, but not worth the troubles you will get out of a car thats been sitting for 5 years

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

Yeah stay away from it.

If its been sitting for 12 years, its going to need ALL KINDS of stuff.

All new fluids

suspension bushings

struts

maybe brake work

tires

all new gaskets

etc

You will spend over $1,500 getting that car even remotely fixed.

It would be stupid to buy a car thats been sitting for 12 years

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I bought a old chevy lumina as my first car that had been sitting for 9 years. the guy thought he through a rod bearing.. I paid him $250 for it. :D i drove it home.. lol I say subaru. just because hondas that have been sitting for more then a month wont get back on they're feet cheap. my friend tried ended up spending almost 7k trying to get it to run right. then the aws broke in the rear and it would sway fron side to side as you drive .

• 2 weeks later...
...if that honda was 200 bucks, (or free), go for it - if you got a couple months out of it, you didn't do so bad... I live in California, so, a car sitting for a decade, while still no good, isn't a coffin nail either. I can't see why anyone would think that an 88 'lude would be worth sooo much, after sitting sooo long... even 2 year would be too much money for that price... I have a 94 integra with 252k Miles on it - great car..

The 88 Prelude's AWS at that point was all mechanical and not electronic as I came later in the 90's. The year Honda introduced that AWS it was very innovated and actually the car outperformed Exotic sport cars in the slalom. But still, it remains that the car has sat for over a decade and basically just rotted away. Leave it. Trust me.

The Subie sounds like a great car. You will be 100% happier with it.

Archived