LegacyGT.com

Does your AFR go rich during spool-up?

NSFW

NSFW very interesting! I'm switched over to Cobb, and see lots of fun fuel enrichment tables I don't remember seeing in RomRaider. An entire section IIRC of a sort of tip-in that is load-referenced, not throttle-referenced. I coppied all my RR tables to Cobb, and that entire defined Cobb section was unmatched in the RR definitions. But sounds like you found them :)

Yeah, that might be the same thing. The enrichment tables that I found are based on the rate of change of load over time. Does one of those tables have a sorta sigmoid-shaped curve in it?

http://www.beigebag.com/images/sigmoic/sigmoic_half1.jpg

Thanks. Yeh I finally got my finances back in order and got a nice deal on a 2011 WRX that I couldnt pass up...

Scratch what I said about the dyno day. The list is filled (and somehow I'm not on it. Going to somehow tune the fking car myself)

Nice pickup the 2011's are sweet!

NSFW.....I kind have been cheating around this rich dip problem myself....At WOT I changed the POL table to run about .5 leaner during spoolup at high load. It will still dip to 10.2 but only for two rows then run target. I tried many many times to change tip in to see if it helped to no avail. Is mickeyd still active on RR? He might offer some insight on this.
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Get a seperate stand alone WBO2 sensor in the DP for datalogging AFRs..

Gotcha,

There is no way to upgrade the factory sensor to a WB correct? Without a piggyback as a man in the middle? I'm guessing the ECU has no provisioning to handle a WBO2? Would be nice to get the readings directly on my AP.

Gotcha,

There is no way to upgrade the factory sensor to a WB correct? Without a piggyback as a man in the middle? I'm guessing the ECU has no provisioning to handle a WBO2? Would be nice to get the readings directly on my AP.

i used a wideband from 14ponint7(dot)com it has programmeable outputs and i sent that power into the 2nd o2 sensor input. and i even used the heating circuit to power the wbo2 . so it all can be seen on the stock data logs .

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Gotcha,

IIRC....per vacation pix the factory sensor does not use a standard 0-5V analog signal.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

Thanks, I meant to respond to this but got distracted.... Those Cobb tables are unrelated to what I found, actually.

If you have patience, and/or need a cure for insomnia, you might find this thread on RomRaider useful. It's basically a play-by-play of me figuring this stuff out, so be aware that a lot of the info in the first few pages is only half correct.

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7442

About 90 posts in, I got it pretty much figured out and had some good results. Then WolfPlayer reproduced my results, cutting his car's rich-dip in half:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7442&start=90

I remember him being pretty annoyed by the rich-dip problem a couple years ago, so he was an ideal beta-tester for the new tables.

Climber, since you have an 05 LGT, there's a good chance that you have the same ROM I have, A2WC522N. If so, you can use the table definitions from that thread.

• I Donated

I posted on the RR thread...

Crap... my ECU is an A2WC511N, and when I try the defs you posted for the A2WC522N, the tables look really squirrelly (e.g. on A3 -- Input A Rising Load Activation, Load (g/rev) is 0.00 in all three rows, and row 3 has some weird values; also, ECT © goes from -10 to 110 and then -40 to -20).

Halp? I assume I shouldn't blindly copy/paste here...

Do some 05 LGT 5MTs have A2WC511Ns and others have A2WC522Ns? Seems weird to me...

Yeah, there were at least five MT versions, and three more AT versions... my car came with 510N and there's one or two more that end with C rather than N.

If you copy your tables from your ROM into a 522N ROM, you can flash it. That's how I got 522N onto my car. It might sound like a lot of work, but it's not really too bad, and you'll probably learn a thing or two along the way just as a side-effect of looking at what's in every table.

And it's definitely less work than me finding these tables in your current ROM. :)

Big list of known stock ROMs:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=35&t=7591

Funny thing is, I originally decided on EcuFlash/RomRaider a couple years ago because it was cheaper than Cobb, but a few months ago I spent almost a grand on reverse-engineering software so I could find new tables to tweak and new parameters to log.

An AccessPort would have saved me at least $300, and many many evenings of staring at my screen.

Funny thing is, I originally decided on EcuFlash/RomRaider a couple years ago because it was cheaper than Cobb, but a few months ago I spent almost a grand on reverse-engineering software so I could find new tables to tweak and new parameters to log.

An AccessPort would have saved me at least $300, and many many evenings of staring at my screen.

So i should keep my AP to log and use O/S to tune? Does anyone on L.I. do O/S tuning classes? :)

• 2 years later...
I've read through entire thread on romraider and wanted to bump this up here for everyone to see again. I see at least a full point richer on my wideband than the called for afr and really want to give this a shot. NSFW, what is your final recommendation for the tables? I couldn't quite see the final change you liked and was wondering if you might post them up here? Thank you very much for your contribution!

http://www.romraider.com/forum/download/file.php?id=15303&mode=view

If that pic doesn't load, log into RomRaider and click this link:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/download/file.php?id=15303&mode=view

Note that the table at the bottom of the pic is from a stock ROM, just for comparison. The other three tables are what I'm running now.

And this link should go to the post where I talked about it a little:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=25&t=7442&start=135

But just in case it doesn't:

I had an issue with stumbling when I touched the throttle after idling for a while, so I put all of these tables back to stock, and took another shot at modifying them. My main goal was to minimize the effect of this stuff at high load (fix the rich dip), without screwing up anything else (no more stumbles) so the key changes are in the tables that have a load axis.

I left things stock at low loads and low coolant temperatures where I possible, since I don't drive hard when the engine is cold, and I don't fully understand the intent behind all of this stuff. It seems to me that Subaru's tuners did a good job with these tables at low loads, they just didn't know about or care about what happens during spoolup (even with the stock turbo, intercooler, etc).

So:

The A term has a "rising load activation" table with load and ECT axes, and I zero'd it at 1.2 g/rev when the engine is warm. So at low load, and/or when cold, it behaves like stock.

The "falling load activation" for input A only has an ECT axis, so unfortunately it can't be left stock a low loads. So, I zero'd it when the engine is warm. I have a hunch that this aspect of the stock tune (reducing fuel when you lift off the throttle) might contribute to the intermittent FBKC that I sometimes see at the end of a WOT pull, or when I lift to shift, but I haven't yet verified that changing this table makes a measurable difference in that behavior.

The B term has an activation table with a load axis, which is active for both rising and falling load. I just made it taper linearly to 0% at 0.8 g/rev. There's no science behind that change, it just made a nice straight line in the graph. I've included the stock version in the screenshot just for comparison.

I still need to do some more data logging to confirm these, but if the logs confirm what my butt-dyno is telling me, then I'm probably done tinkering with these tables.

And when I define these tables for other ROMs I'll likely just define these three, since they seem to be sufficient to fix the rich dip, without adversely affecting driveability. They're also relatively easy to explain and understand.

However, the names of the tables may have changed a little bit by the folks that are doing the definitions now. So if you find a table with a different name but the same contents, don't worry about the name, it's still the same table.

• 3 weeks later...

I've finally been copying all of my tables to the 522N rom and started changing these tau tables. For some reason, my ECT values on these tables are in Celsius. Will this cause issues with the ECU/tune? Did I incorrectly add the definitions to my definitions file? Should I just convert them to Fahrenheit? Sorry for the questions.

Edit: After reading more on the thread at Romraider, it appears fine. You said that ecuflash recognizes the unit difference and changes it but romraider doesn't.

Archived