LegacyGT.com

Indian Food

BDII

If the wife doesn't like the smell of spices, try this. I start almost every dish by throwing some dried hot chilli peppers into a pan with some oil. After a few minutes, the peppers begin emitting pepper gas (yes, the stuff the police use on Occupy America demonstrators). A whif or two of that, and your wife won't be able to smell anything.

:bbq:

Being Indian i'll chime in for beginners looking to get into Indian (sub-continent) cooking.

I'll discuss 2 types of things, kabab's and curries and the simplest way to get great results using pre-made spice blends.

When it comes to grill and kabob preparations, no country can compete with India/sub-continent, except maybe Turkey.

Look up tundey kabob on youtube. ;)

Go to your local indian grocery store: (try http://www.localfiles.com to locate one) Look for the spices section where they have pre-boxed mixes. Look for these brands: Shan or MDH or Kitchen King.

This brand (Shan) is Pakistani but their directions are simple for beginners and virtually fool proof. Their kabob varieties are just too many and all turn out amazing. Once you try their grill preparations, you wont go back to plain old grilled meats (except maybe a good steak).

- Shan Tikka Seekh Kabab masala (dry marinade) is my absolute favorite as it works on multiple cuts and types of meat from chicken to ground beef, lesser cuts of beef,mutton,lamb. Recipe is simple choose your meat, add garlic/ginger paste, lemon juice follow instructions on back and grill (invest in metal skewers)

-Shan chicken tikka masala - same thing add spice rub to chicken (quarter leg pieces or thigh pieces with skin and bone), garlic/ginger paste, lemon juice (dont really need the raw papaya)....grill (skin side down) - Always a hit at every grill out I have hosted.

-Shan Keema Masala + ground beef + onions + green peppers + chillies = best ground beef ever (feel free to substitute ground lamb or ground chicken/turkey)

-My absolute favorite - Shan Tikka Sheekh masala and ground turkey, medium onion, green and red chillies, ginger garlic paste, lemon juice and a bit of olive oil, knead and then make the most amazing lean turkey burgers ever. I even use these as breakfast turkey sausage.

Shan has many other kabab mixes, curry mixes, biryani mixes, fish fry mixes. There are other brands too like MDH, Kitchen king etc so feel free to try those. The trick is that once a novice gets good results with these pre-mixed dry blends, then their interest remains and they can try making their own spice blends as they get experienced.

Curry preparations:

Use the various pre-made wet spice blends from this brand called PARAMPARA. These are simple to use pastes and the results are almost restaurant good. They remove the guess work out of the spices to be used. Just follow directions on the back and enjoy.

Once you get comfortable with these then you can visit sites and check out videos on you tube from Vah chef etc and make your own spice blends.

• 2 years later...
I used to get a chicken tikki masala sandwich in the UK from this lunch counter person when I lived there that was the bomb. I would love to have her recipe. Indian food is the best and spicy food is healthy for you.

Current Mileage as of 19-June-15: 15012

Purchase Date: 30-June-12

Visit my profile page (visitor message section) for a brief mod. list.

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

There was a great podcast this week from TasteDaily that talked about american/western curries, and how they're a bit of an amalgamation of various regional/traditional curries.

What was cool is it wasn't all douchbaggedy about either, and spoke to each's benefits.

Love a nice spicy curry in the fall. Would love to try this one. They talk about what kinds of fish work in the corresponding video (second link), which I thought was OT to the OP. Sounds like mild white fish filets like Cod, Haddock, Hake, Flounder, Halibut is the right style. This one was all fresh stuff (but for dried curry), which I thought was nice.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1018573-broiled-fish-with-lemon-curry-butter

https://www.nytimes.com/video/dining/100000004920484/lemon-curry-fish.html

Archived