LegacyGT.com

I need a tuning crash course

Kodax

As the title suggest, I am completely new to tuning. I need a quick crash course in tuning a legacy.

I am gonna get a local tuner to tune my car and he is also on this forum. However, he has never tuned a 3.0r before. So I want to educate myself as much as possible before I pull the trigger and tune my car. It isn't because I don't trust the tuner but I do not want to blame the tuner if something goes wrong. I want to know what I am getting myself into.

The engine mods that I will be doing would be KN filter and AEM CAI. I am also gonna get a tune for my 3.0r. I know I probably won't be netting a lot of gains compared to the LGT. But I don't really care.

I know in general, tuning a car is just remapping the car to match the mods of a car and the current parameter (eg. gas, altitude) of the car. However, with a change of new environment (eg. higher altitude, higher octane gas, thinner air), would it cause the car to throw an engine light?

Go over to the Romraider forum and download Bad Noodle's tuning guide. That's as good a place to start as any.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

In your case you'll basically be rescaling the maf and related compensation tables to account for the change in intakes while keeping a smooth as possible cruising region.

As for getting more power, you'll be looking to lean out the fuel a bit in the higher rpms, and adding timing where possible. You won't really get anywhere with the timing without a dyno, and you shouldn't tweak the fuel without a WB02 sensor.

I'm not sure where the fueling is on the 3.0 stock. I know on the GT it is about 9.65:1 in the upper rpm/load cells and if this is the case with the 3.0, you will likely find most of your power increase by leaning this out toward 12:1 or so. You will need a WB02 to do this though.

As far as the crash course, that is it. You may or may not understand where all these values should be normally until you spend a decent amount of time logging and analyzing data logs. You should start doing that now while the car is stock.

In your case you'll basically be rescaling the maf and related compensation tables to account for the change in intakes while keeping a smooth as possible cruising region.

As for getting more power, you'll be looking to lean out the fuel a bit in the higher rpms, and adding timing where possible. You won't really get anywhere with the timing without a dyno, and you shouldn't tweak the fuel without a WB02 sensor.

I'm not sure where the fueling is on the 3.0 stock. I know on the GT it is about 9.65:1 in the upper rpm/load cells and if this is the case with the 3.0, you will likely find most of your power increase by leaning this out toward 12:1 or so. You will need a WB02 to do this though.

As far as the crash course, that is it. You may or may not understand where all these values should be normally until you spend a decent amount of time logging and analyzing data logs. You should start doing that now while the car is stock.

Thanks for the tip.

A tuner will be logging my car and I am guessing we will be doing a road tune. I just want to know what is going on so I can be on the same page as the tuner and maybe ask some questions if I don't understand. It is difficult to ask questions when I don't know what I am suppose to ask.

I do quite a few road trips and I will be driving to different regions. Eg. going to Canada or going up the mountains. So it kinda worries me if the different region might cause problems for my car.

I appreciate the help! :)

I got my start in tuning EFI with an Emanage... older car with uncracked JECS ECU... On the newer stuff I bought a canned tune for my WRX and just went through all the differences between that and the stock ROM, with the guides and how-tos in the other hand, until it made sense. Ask more experienced friends or the tuner himself to explain the rest. If you buy an e-tune you can watch the changes being made step by step which helps a lot in understanding the process.

I will happily explain anything I know to anyone who is really interested to learn. Those who just want their car tuned can pay for my time. I think if you are really keen to learn, your tuner will help you... just be polite about it and take some initiative.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Archived