LegacyGT.com

Second Generation legacy/outback COIL-OVER Suspenion FAQ

Hello all who were lucky enough to see this before being chewed on for not searching, and for the others. walk it off. :lol:

Still UNDER CONSTRUCTION

First some basic info about coilovers and strut/spring combos.

Now why go coilovers? vs new struts and springs.

Some people do buy real nice aftermarket strut/spring combos. but with that setup you lack:

-Ride height adjustment(i like this becasue i can rise my car back up for the winter)

-Upper camber plates

-Rebound adjustment.(some struts do have this feature though like the KYB AGX)

The standard equpentment cars come with from the show room look a little like this.

The strut is just this.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3185/3063284798_a72a1346d8.jpg

and the spring and tophat get added to complete it like this below. ill explain top hat next.

http://www.mttechsuba.com/picture/strut%20front.jpg?pictureId=2247353&asGalleryImage=true

Tophats are what bolts to the shaft and contains the spring(labeled bracket assembly below). (upper and lower spring perches) they also have the 3 bolts that bolt the assemblie to the car at top.... different year tophats fit different cars and such. more on this after I introduce you to coil overs as top hat fitment is the same for coilovers or struts because it is car dependent.

Here is exploded view off strut/spring combos.

http://www.2carpros.com/forum/automotive_pictures/62217_Accent_Strut_1.jpg

But your saying to yourself that you want coilovers and have not seen any info on said topic. Just wanted you to know what your replacing so your not shocked when you get your new coilovers are they "look" different.

So what do they give you over the other?

-coilovers often have adjustable ride height

-coilovers can/often have adjustable rebound and bound

-coilovers often have tophats that have built in camber plates

-coilovers can have adjustable caster

-coilovers can be rebuildable

coil overs have this appearance below, these are raceland coilovers and are the cheapest we know of.

http://www.racelandus.com/images/product/large/127_1_.jpg

The main feature people buy coilovers for is the ride height adaptability. This is obtained buy spinning the bottom spring perch up and down the threads on the shock body and locking it with a second thread ring. These limit how far the spring can sit down on the shock and is directly related to the ride high of the car as the car sits on the top-hat that sits on the spring which sits on the bottom spring perches(the threaded rings).

Tophats:

some if not most coilover kits have at least front camber plates(AKA tophats) some even have caster too. It is hard to explain so here is a picture.

if you dont know what camber or caster is....here...is a link

http://www.se-r.net/suspension/images/stillen_camber_plates.jpg

This is far better then camber bolts.

Instead of using camber bolts down on the knuckle, this is better because your changing the tire angle and the coilover angle together. better for takeing bumps as the coilover is better angled to the direction of a bump when cornering hard...

Another, less looked over reason camber plate are used is when running very wide tires. it helps with keeping the tire angle into the tire well so rubbing is less... Picture for your eye(s) considered very poserish

http://lh5.ggpht.com/-WZjmfyFcwVU/S_pZWuosg3I/AAAAAAAAAOk/4QYv2I5E6n4/SSPX0026.jpg

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

When searching for suspenion parts for 2nd generation Legacys/Outbacks we often look under the 2002-2007 Impreza Wrx parts. These parts/kits bolt right up.

Here are lots of coilover options that bolt right up.

Raceland usa

Click for kit Needing Review hyperlink

Rokkor

Click for kit -Needing Review hyperlink

Godspeed

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Godspeed-Subaru-04-Coilover-Suspension/dp/B0041IPHLY/] Click for kit[/ame] -Needing Review hyperlink

Megan Racing

BC Racing

Any coil over kit made for a 2004 sti will work too. and 2002-2007 WRX (not STI)

STill needing proof reading.. and more info.

Yes, I am digging this. And I am sure more newbies like me might find this a better option than seeking for and swapping individual struts and springs, and sourcing tophats etc. Plus it might keep more of us newbs from asking the same, previously addressed, over-repeated questions

• I Donated

I personally thing that this would be better to be an addition to the suspension FAQ...

however if they wind up seperated, I'll be more then happy to help write it

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I personally thing that this would be better to be an addition to the suspension FAQ...

however if they wind up seperated, I'll be more then happy to help write it

I agree except...

This IS part of suspension and could be rolled into that, however this is more detailed towards coilovers and not just a metling pot of things(lowering springs, lift kits, camber kits ect)

I like that this is going up, and I will certainly help with the reviews portion :lol:

• I Donated

any coil over kit made for a 2004 sti will work too. and 2002-2007 WRX STI

STill needing proof reading.. and more info.

2004 STI or 02 - 07 WRX (non sti)

D2 Racing also make a VERY high end coilover system specifically made for the Legacy

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

10 bolts... i had to take the first cat with it. bolts are rusted a little. and the headers didnt line up perfect. all while on my back with one work light. but i like the power. but my friends intergra still got me we think.. it was close.

I dont know of anyone with em. arent the racelands cheaper or around the same price.. We're waiting to hear how they are from someone. But I know nothing about godspeed and haven't even heard of it till looking through the links..

yea i searched but couldnt really find much on here about em...although a friend of mine has a civic with godspeeds and it rides pretty nice better than racelands forsure but who knows it could be a different story for subarus...and now that i think about it ive read on honda tech that godspeeds are actualy not a suggested coilover many people say "they look cheap and ride cheap" but id still like someone whos used them on a legacy's opinion.

• I Donated

like I said, I can help write. I can give a good comparison of coilover vs struts.

I can write a first hand review on D2 Racing coilovers. They are pretty high dollar, but WELL worth it.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Archived