LegacyGT.com

how worthwhile is an OEM downpipe with cats removed?

Masshole

I had purchased an OEM downpipe with both cats gutted, but I'm having some second thoughts before installing. I recognize that this may wind up leading to some headaches in terms of state inspection and whatnot. How worthwhile will the pipe actually be, in terms of exhaust flow, power gains, fuel economy, or any combination thereof? The car is currently tuned, and would be retuned after installation if I move forward.

Any thoughts?

I would think as long as it's tuned and programed correctly there should be on way to tell the cats are empty. It's not like they take the pipe off and look inside.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You will get about the same power as with a catted aftermarket item but it will spool later, your boost control will be less accurate and the exhaust will stink.

Having tried both, I'd run the aftermarket part and swap the stocker for inspections.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

Am I the only crazy one that actually likes the smell of the exhaust after going to a cat less 3'' DP ?? ....all environmental issues aside, something about burnt gasoline and rubber throws me back the days of driving my dads 70' 454 Chevelle at 14yrs old hahah

Yes, you are the one. Don't feel bad. So was Neo in the Matrix.

I'd run a race catted open bellmouth DP loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong before I would run a de-catted oem pipe.

Either way you are greasing palms to get though smog. May as well run without stink and have more power throughout the rpm range.

Archived