LegacyGT.com

Rear Rotor Install Need Help!!!

kjl8301

OK guys I am sure someone some where has touched on this but I need some real help here.

OK I own a 2008 Subaru Legacy Sedan AWD Obviously. Now I bought new pads and rotors all the way around. Got the front ones on easy as pie. They look really good and I am happy with the outcome but the rears are another story. Now I got the caliper off easy as pie but I cannot figure out how to get the caliper bracket off. Now I see the bolts that are holding it on but I am lucky if I can get my socket around or fit in the tight area were the 2 caliper bracket bolts are. Is there a trick to it or an easy way to get them off. Now I have a lot of tools but no air compressor and I am doing this in the garage with a jack and jack stands so its all hands on here. Any ideas or comments are much appreciated and maybe even photos if someone has had this same issue and post something to show an easy way. If not I am going to have to find a shop to do it for me and I really don't want to have to do that if I have the know how.

Thanks Guys

You will need some 3/8" socket extensions, a 3/8" to 1/2"'adapter, a 1/2" breaker bar and most likely a cheater pipe.

When I did my rear brakes a couple months ago the impact wouldn't fit and we had to have two people to get the job done. One person under the car to line everything up and apply pressure and one person behind with a cheater pipe to go on the end of the breaker bar.

Plan on getting new bolts to install and use some anti-seize on them.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Spray the bolts with PB Blaster first. You'll need a 14mm socket and 6" wobble extension. Sears sells them.

There are 2 bolts there.

I have also learned to put anti-seize on the 2 bolts used to back the rotor off the hub.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks guys I really appreciate the help, the nice thing here is I have 2 cars luckly so I can take my time at it. I got the fronts done and they look sick. I love my subbie and I like to be gentle with her but I think I am gonna have to do the 2 person thing and get at it this weekend.

Any and all other posts are welcome to make the job easier. Thanks guys for helping out!!!!

As the others have mentioned, extensions are needed for the bottom bolt. I think I used a 6" along with a 1/2 to 3/8 reducer (since I like to always use my 1/2 rachet).

My recommendation for the top bolt is to use a 3/8 universal joint.

Lastly, cross your fingers that the first time around you don't strip or break off any of the bolts. If you are lucky, make sure to anti-seize them when reinstalling and you are good to go.

Archived