LegacyGT.com

Stupid washing question.

Okay I know this may sound like a stupid question to some of you, but oh well. Whenever they say wash a wash mitt or something like that in "mild soapy water" after use, what kind of soap do you guys use? Do you just use a weak mix of the same soap you use on the car or like dishwashing soap? I know it's probably not a big deal either way, but after seeing the "wash in mild soapy water" phrase for many things I guess I've never really been sure what kind of soap they intended:rolleyes: .

From the zymol FAQ..

Q: Is it OK to wash my car with dish soap?

A: No. Dish detergents are special surfactants designed to quickly remove fats and oils from dishes. Good waxes and glazes are made from fats and oils. Dish soap will remove all of your wax protection.

So emm no... dish soap = bad.. However if you want to polish the car and start a fresh coat of wax dish soap wouldnt be so bad heheh.. I'm sure ocdetails will chime in..

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

NEVER.....(repeat) NEVER EVER USE washing up liquid. There are PLENTY of alternatives down at your local fuel station including car shop. Get a good sponge, shamois and a good car wash with maybe a liquid wax built in which is all I use but I make sure the water is very hot and I wash and rinse well and ALWAYS WASH IN THE SHADE AND MAKE SURE U DONT LET THE SOAP SIT ON THE CAR FOR MORE THAN A FEW MINS.

There are that many products out there, it will blow yr mind but look for something that is easy to use, like turtle wax products as they have a range of liquid washes including wax + tyre sheen as well. There might even be special All in 1 Packs avail too.

Let me know if u have any further questions.

Whenever they say wash a wash mitt or something like that in "mild soapy water" after use, what kind of soap do you guys use?

The question wasn't what to use on the vehicle, it's what to clean out the mitt with.

A bit of car wash & fresh water is fine.

I usually just thoroughly rise out the mitt with the hose when I'm done with it, as it's already been full of "mild soapy water" the whole time I was using it to wash the car.

The main idea is to get any grit out of the mitt so you're not sanding your clearcoat. If the car has lots of dirt on it then rinse the mitt several times during the washing, and be especially careful not to "scrub" with it.

Use a separate cloth or sponge for grease or tar to keep that gunk out of the mitt. If you inadvertantly do get some in it, then you can use some stronger cleaner or tar remover to work the spot out of the mitt, then rinse clean. If it's really fouled, then just get a new mitt and save the ratty one to do wheel wells, the bottom of rocker pannels, door jambs, engine compartment, etc.

I scrub my mitt with the same water in the wash bucket and then rinse it with the hose until no soap comes out. Then I shake the water out and put it on the rack to dry. If you use a good quality wash mitt then it will clean out easily. I don't know what brand the one I use is, but its got a fabric lining inside and not just leather from the sheepskin. This particular kind of mitt lasts much longer than other mitts where you feel leather when you put your hand in it. I would suggest finding one like that.

Sponges are baaaaaaaad. They trap dirt inside and then redeposit it on the car as you wash. That creates much more potential to scratch your car while washing. A wash mitt will rinse cleaner than a sponge every time. Mitts are much safer to use no matter what kind of sponge you have. The first step to eliminating swirls is to use the proper tools while washing and drying to help prevent new swirls from showing up. Using a double bucket method (one bucket to soap up your mitt and one to rinse it off before going back for more soap), washing in straight lines, going from top to bottom, rinsing with a low pressure stream of water that sloughs the water off, and drying with soft drying towels (not bathtowels) are ways to help prevent swirls from showing up. Using a sponge and crusty bathtowels are good ways to create problems.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

The question wasn't what to use on the vehicle, it's what to clean out the mitt with.

Thanks, TRS for being the first one to actually read my question, heh. Yeah I've just been using the soapy carwash water pretty much but was just wondering if there was anything better. The main thing I had in mind when I asked the question are the applicator pads I use for waxing as they still feel a little oily or well, waxy I guess after I wash them out. Guess I just need to take a little more time, thanks for the help!

It depends on the type of microfiber. Some just look like microfiber towels and others have loops of microfiber cord on them. I've got a good microfiber mitt that I use for interior detailing, but I haven't ever washed the car with it. Honestly, when it comes to wash mitts, the cheapest microfiber wash mitt out there is still better than half of the wool ones. When in doubt you are safer with microfiber. However it is worth noting that anything can be harmful to your car if its not used properly. Keep the wash mitt as clean as possible between washes and try to keep it clean while washing and you can do a safe job with just about any mitt. Its durability and quality that sets microfiber apart from most wool mitts. They are all better than sponges.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Archived