LegacyGT.com

Difference between 2.5i and gt?

Just did a quick AutoTrader search, criteria: 2005-2007 Legacy GT Sedan or Wagon, 5MT, less than 60K miles, Dealer or Private Seller, any distance from Lebanon, KS since I'm not sure where you're located and just picked Lebanon as it's supposedly the geographic center of the contiguous United States.

Results here

Searched again but this time bumped the mileage up to 100,000 or less.

Results here

They're out there, just need to search for them.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Honestly, I like the looks of the 2.5i better. I like on most every car a 5 spoke 17s. They look better to my eyes than 6 spoke 18s.

Older LGTs have the same 5-spokes as the newer 2.5is

Also, they're easy to swap. As for the hood scoop, it is worth 80hp.

Not JDM / Not GT - 2010 (5th Gen) Euro 2.0 H4 Turbo-diesel Legacy Wagon (left-hand drive).

:orly: im not quite sure why I said JDM. Musta been the stats midterm. Nonetheless, i still wish I had it

Sent from tapatalk, yo

• I Donated
The 2.5i limited has 17" wheels, cold weather package, same interior trim as the GT and auto climate control.

The wheels situation is complicated. For example, all Legacies except the SpecB had the same wheels for 2006, and the LGT went to 18s for 07. Also, what percentage of 2.5is were Limited? I thought it was a fairly small percentage.

I do know that the 2005 2.5GT non-Limited is the only way to get a 4th-gen with cloth seats, no sunroof, and auto climate control. :lol:

Just to throw my $.02 FWIW.

I got my LGT with intentions of modding, and life got in the way. Nonetheless I was very happy with my decision as I would have been very disapointed not having the factory turbo setup. As mentioned much more than the engine is different. The interior stuff is just icing.

For comparison on MPG, I'm currently driving a Hyundai Elantra AT. I am lucky to average 23mpg in my daily commute. I was getting 21 with my LGT (and the ride was well worth the sacrifice in 2mpg) The best I ever got was 27MPG on a long trip with cruise. But when I was commuting daily 80mi round trip I would average 25MPG regularly.

I honestly think the reason I am getting such poor mileage out of my Elantra is because I have a heavy foot and want to get to speed as fast as possible, therefore I am redlining the Hyundai all the time to get on the interstate, to pass, to pull out etc. Where before I would just push the gas, get into turbo and be off in the LGT. An antiquated 4sp AT doesn't help matters with the Elantra either. I miss my MT

GL with your purchase. As mentioned if longevity and minimal maintenence is your goal, seriously research the LGT option. I was diligent about maintaining my engine and it drove great when I sold it at 85K mi, but I was starting to save some money for an eventual clutch replacement (which still felt strong) and possibly a new turbo (even though there were no signs of failure). I'm looking for a replacement now, and given my changes in lifestyle, I'll be going N/A. But the turbo sure was fun while I had it :D

i had a 2.5i AND i currently have a Spec B... if you want performance, the LGT/Spec B is where it's at... if you are trying to get good MPG, get the 2.5i... driving the 2.5i daily will be cheaper then the gt almost ALWAYS... it takes regular gas not premium too... that's just extra savings... if you really want power, get the gt... and as someone else mentioned, you can swap hoods with someone if you get a front mount intercooler... but like someone else mentioned, soon you'll go to stage 2 and your foot will become super heavy... right not my avg. mpg is 23.5... and i'm a spirited driver... my 2.5i avg mpg was 26-27... not much but it add's up at the pump.

Goodluck purchasing a legacy!!

The wheels situation is complicated. For example, all Legacies except the SpecB had the same wheels for 2006, and the LGT went to 18s for 07.

The 4th gen LGT has only had 17" x 7" wheels, the LGT has never had 18" wheels. The Spec B has always had 18" wheels. 4th gen 2.5i Legacys have had 16" x 6" and 17" x 7" alloy wheels.

LGT 2005-2006 (and 2.5i 2006-2009) 17"x 7" +55 ET 5-spoke alloy wheels

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/leg05gtwheel1.JPG

LGT 2007-2009 17" x 7" +55 ET Dimpled 6-spoke wheels

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/Leg07GTalloywhl1.JPG

2006-07 Spec B 18" x 7" +55 ET 10-spoke wheels

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/leg06specbwheel.JPG

2008-09 Spec B 18" x 7" +55 Revised (broader blade) 10 spoke wheels

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/Leg08specbwheel1.JPG

3.0R 2008-2009 17" x 7" +55 ET 7-spoke wheels

http://www.cars101.com/subaru/legacy/leg086cylalloy1.JPG

2005 2.5i 16" x 6" +55 ET 5-parallel spoke wheels

http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRl7YZak1EhvC52-FL9tOtgB0wBYA3_gNs_Vu9OjYHc4Qdl_1fu

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Also, depending on how you drive, you can get some pretty decent MPGs from the GT. But after reading the forums for a bit, you will most likely end up getting a DP and tune and and start developing a heavy right foot, leading to decreased MPGs and an increase in fun.

I can confirm that this is a very true statement. Then you buy a sweet exhaust. Now your like hmmm. i'm putting alot of stress on that turbo, i should probably change it before i blow it and my motor up. So now your debating buying injectors, turbo, and a fuel pump with a sweet tune. At the same time, you drive A LOT, and you put A LOT of miles on weekly. So then you get to the point where you're debating buying a newer LGT w/ less miles, or keeping the one you have spending lots of fun money on it, and buying some eco box for work travel.

All in all, i'm very happy. :):spin::spin::spin:

When I was looking at cars I wanted a GT, but my practical side won out. At the time I was driving 45min each way to work through NY back roads. My wife was working on call for the last year and a half and money was tight.

I opted for a 06 2.5i SE. I got manual climate controls so upgrading the stereo would be easier and a sun roof. I wish I had fog lights and a leather steering wheel, but they can be added at any point.

From day 1, driving a manual after owning auto cars since high school and installing snow tires I averaged 26MPG. Once summer came I've been getting 28MPG with wider high performance summer tires.

I have upgraded the LCA and steering bushings with Whiteline and RSB with a 20mm JDM bar. I'm running lightweight wheels with 225/40 18 star specs. Next for install will be Koni struts with Eibach springs.

The car handles great, the 2.5i brakes with Stoptech pads and centric rotors have more than enough stopping power.

Only a couple times I've wished the car had more power. This was merging into traffic doing 55MPH+ For DD the 2.5i is great. Better mileage, cheaper to maintain and still fun to drive. On the roads I frequently drive you can't go any faster than my 2.5i can unless you have better suspension anyway. As long as you plan for the hills your golden.

Current: 16 Crosstrek Premium w/ Eyesight & 05 Outback XT 5MT

Past Subies: 14 FXT Premium, 14 WRX hatch, 06 Legacy 2.5i SE 5MT, 98 Outback wagon

Archived