LegacyGT.com

Thunderhill this weekend!

chicagozer

The build is done and the Subaru is headed to the 24 hours of LeMons race at Thunderhill.

This will the first race for the car, three drivers on the team that have never been on a track, and before this, I've never even changed my own brake pads. What could possibly go wrong?

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m273/chicagozer/carpics/DSC_2088.jpg

Your car is pretty funny.

Thill is a fun ass track and there's little to hit. The pro-tip for thunderhill is cooling, it is going to be hot as shit up there -- make sure you haven't skimped (using the lemons standard) on the cooling. Get functional oil and coolant temp guages and make sure people back off when they get high.

Also, change the fluids between days.

Have fun!

a link to a fan page for the build?

We'll try to get some updates over the weekend. No major catastrophes so far prepping the car. I'm really starting to get worried.

This is the first Subaru I've owned and working on it has been a delight.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Luck-Everybody-Else-Racing/145747165507528

Awesome! I love the team name. :lol:

A friend of mine will be there racing a Miata.

This will the first race for the car, three drivers on the team that have never been on a track, and before this, I've never even changed my own brake pads. What could possibly go wrong?

:eek:

I hope you've at least taken the car to a track day or three for shakedown...

...but I'm going to assume not, because three of your drivers have never done a track day! :eek:

We're back in one piece. Grinning from ear to ear. Tremendous weekend of racing; we managed to squeeze out 85th place out of 112.

The car ran spectacularly all weekend; our finish definitely reflects our casual approach to driver's changes. We spent quite a bit of time checking the car, talking about the previous session and rechecking the car. It was really, really hot, so a few less hours in the car wasn't altogether a bad thing either.

Our new drivers were putting down Sunday lap times that were 20 secs faster than Saturday so I was tremendously encouraged. We had a veteran take it out for some hot laps and he set our best time of the weekend at 2:29. Not a landspeed record for Thunderhill, but good enough for 4th best time for our class.

Power-wise the car is totally stock; airbox, exhaust and all so there is certainly some room for improvement. It's almost too quiet; needs less muffler so you have a cue when to be upshifting.

Suspension, crazy good. Very neutral. The stiffness of the cage makes everything that much better. It would slide (Direzza Z1 205/55 on the WRX 16s) if you were really hot coming through a corner, but it was so cool to have all of the tires sliding evenly, keep on the gas and trust the AWD to pull you right out.

The car has stock WRX brakes swapped over and with Carbotech pads it was very solid. Next race we will look at adding some ducting and swapping in some racing brake fluid.

Little EJ22? Amazing. Didn't burn oil, didn't overheat, purred like a kitten all weekend. More than enough motor until we can learn to drive.

Goals for this week; unpack. Hydrate. Maybe head over to the DMV and see if I can talk them into giving me some plates for this thing so I can drive it to the next Subaru meetup.

Pictures and shenanigans over on Facebook.

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Good-Luck-Everybody-Else-Racing/145747165507528

Jim

Archived