LegacyGT.com

new to this help please

my gf has a 1998 subaru legacy gt limited.one of the rod bearings went and now going to replace motor. was looking around and found a few 2.5 but dont know if they will fit since the dont come out of a limited model is there a difference thank all that help :spin:

Thread moved to 2.5i section.

There is no difference between the 2.5i engines of the same model year depending on if it's a limited or not. However some engines are more sensitive than other, but the engine shall also match the ECU in the car. Look at the VIN plate in the engine compartment to see which engine you were running. Should be the letters "EJ" followed by a number. If you post that information you may get more detailed help.

The following image is from a car with an EJ20G engine:

http://www.type-ra.co.uk/images/vin.jpg

453747.png

The 98 GT has the EJ25D. The DOHC engine.

Your best option is to replace with a 2.2L, since it is more plug and play and much cheaper than replacing the EJ25D with another EJ25D.

This swap is done a lot and you can search for procedures and pitfalls. You do lose @30HP but it will run well. Basically the same as the regular legacys of that series.

Don't know about the SOHC swap from the next generation.Many more problems there.

see http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/new-here-and-ive-got-few-questions-167215.html

O.

my gf has a 1998 subaru legacy gt limited.one of the rod bearings went and now going to replace motor. was looking around and found a few 2.5 but dont know if they will fit since the dont come out of a limited model is there a difference thank all that help :spin:

First what replacement year model did you find the donor motor? that particular 98 Legacy has a version 2 Phase 1 EJ25D you can swap in a EJ251 from a 99-2004 Legacy i you dont want to go down on power by swapping in a Ej22E

Archived