LegacyGT.com

2010 LGT 5EAT to STI 6mt problem!?

justune

total noob here and checked some 6mt swap thread

my local tuner told me about the difference between the new LGT and old

found the different design makes it difficult to swap the STI 6mt(in fact, they told me it's impossible!!)

is this true!??

and what's the best choice for bigger HP solution (400+whp)

thanks !!

thanks for the reply

I have read about Rick's conversion

but still want to know the different design from the 10 LGT is the hard part for swap

maybe is the 05~09 LGT's mt design is differente from the 10 LGT??

i thought the 10 lgt was only avaliable 6 mt

The new 6MT is closer to the 5MT than the STi/Spec-B 6MT. It's a good transmission for fuel economy, but a bad one for almost any other use.

Swapping I'll be troublesome. The crossmember pickup points all changed, so you'd need a custom transmission crossmember at the very least. The engine still has the same bell housing, so the transmission should physically bolt up. I believe the hole in the car for the shifter is completely different, so you might have to cut, grind, and weld for that to work. A driveshaft would be a custom affair, I think. But maybe not. A CVT driveshaft might just be the right part.

Can it be done? For sure. Is it going to be plug and play like the old cars? Almost definitely not.

But good luck!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

yea but as the title says 5eat to 6mt.

i guess because the sti 6mt is too noisy for the old fogies buying up lgt's

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Woah, I didn't see that. So he either has an H6, doesn't live in the US, or doesn't have a 2010 after all.

The 6MT in the STI is really noisy. Far too noisy and jerky for "luxury" cars.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

The new 6MT is closer to the 5MT than the STi/Spec-B 6MT. It's a good transmission for fuel economy, but a bad one for almost any other use.

Swapping I'll be troublesome. The crossmember pickup points all changed, so you'd need a custom transmission crossmember at the very least. The engine still has the same bell housing, so the transmission should physically bolt up. I believe the hole in the car for the shifter is completely different, so you might have to cut, grind, and weld for that to work. A driveshaft would be a custom affair, I think. But maybe not. A CVT driveshaft might just be the right part.

Can it be done? For sure. Is it going to be plug and play like the old cars? Almost definitely not.

But good luck!

BAC5.2

thanks for your explanation , really appreciated!!

and my car is an EDM LGT, and have no choice but 5EAT

it seems some custom work need to be done.

and wondering with such custom work can afford big power??

BTW, so even the LGT with 6mt is difficult to upgrade the strength of transmission and handle big power??

BAC5.2

thanks for your explanation , really appreciated!!

and my car is an EDM LGT, and have no choice but 5EAT

it seems some custom work need to be done.

and wondering with such custom work can afford big power??

BTW, so even the LGT with 6mt is difficult to upgrade the strength of transmission and handle big power??

With money anything is possible.

For the money your going to spend doing this swap why don't you just look for a used race car and take your fast driving to the track where it's safe, even if you only want to Auto-X.

To give you an idea of how difficult this swap will be, start by making a list of the things you think you'll need with prices.

How deep are your pockets ?

Are you a from the middle east ? you know, oil money ?

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

With money anything is possible.

For the money your going to spend doing this swap why don't you just look for a used race car and take your fast driving to the track where it's safe, even if you only want to Auto-X.

To give you an idea of how difficult this swap will be, start by making a list of the things you think you'll need with prices.

How deep are your pockets ?

Are you a from the middle east ? you know, oil money ?

I don't want to worry about my AT when making more power

that's the reason I want to swap the STI's

current I make 280lb-ft (stock turbo)and don't know the limit of my 5EAT

I think the AT is the biggest problem of power upgrade

ClimberD I think has been doing some work with the 5eat check out his thread on this forum.

I have no idea if the upgrades will work for you though... I'm not a automatic kind of guy.

If I can't shift gears with my right hand and left foot. I don't want it.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/valve-body-mods-giant-leaps-forward-160101.html

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

finally figure out the situation

the biggest problem is the new Legacy engine doesn't bolt on the car frame directly

they connect with the transmission and then bolt on the car frame

so if I change the STI 6mt will fit the bell mouth but the engine can't connect to the frame

check the pic near the bell mouth and this is big problem !!

pic

so the next question, what's the solution if any new legacy want to upgrade their 6mt for stronger ones as STI???

Archived