LegacyGT.com

Defining Music: My Subaru

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cool write-up. Having been with the Subaru brand since 1974 (37 years - yeah that long), I have the same feelings about these cars. Keep the faith, and hopefully 31-32 years from now, you'll still feel the same.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Well My car story start young at the ripe age of 15 but i didnt get my first subaru till I was 19. When I was 15 I got a job working at a YMCA camp and earned a little bit of cash I always wanted to be independent so I wanted to get my own car so my parents wouldnt have to drive me in their car. Plus I was getting my permit soon so I wanted to learn how to drive in my OWN car. There was my first mistake I spent 400 bucks on the first car I found, a 1995 chevy lumina with a 3.3 v6. I only drove that for 3 months cause I thought it looked like an old mans car. So I sold it for $500 and bought the same car with a different body, a 1996 Pontiac grand am. I drove that junker for a little less than a year when I blew the motor cause I didnt know or care to much about the way my car ran. Well I need a car to get to work so staying with the bad path I was on I bought another gm, a 1994 chevy s10 4.3. I had fun with that truck I thought I could go anywhere. That was until I got suspended from school for knocking someones tooth out. While I was on suspension I decided to go help my uncle on his dairy farm on the way I rolled the truck cause the break line broke. I was ok but the truck was smashed. I then bought the cheapest car EVER. I found a rare 1987 chevy chevette that I bought for 50 big boy dollars

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/worknlikeadog/83-85_Chevrolet_Chevette_1.jpg

I didnt drive that very long I was still in my I dont care how this car works I just wanna drive so again I blew it up. That was only 4 months long. then came another s10 but this one was important. I was my first 5 speed. I learned to really drive in this truck. I learned how to dump the clutch and power brake and put it in ditches. I also learned how to jump it. DONT EVER JUMP A S10 it hurts. That truck was sooo rusty parts just started to fall off. I stopped fixing that and got my very least favorite car a plymoth laser. It was awful, looked great, but was a piece of crap. There was no way to diagnose that piece of crap. I had a senor go bad couldnt figure out which one so i sold it. One more car before the subaru a Cavalier 1994. This was the car I learned to be mechanical easy to work on but always breaking. so I sold it to my buddy and bought my love, My favorite my best most fun most reliable car I have ever owned. MY Subaru.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/worknlikeadog/photo.jpg

When I first got my 1996 subaru legacy L. I didnt buy it cause I thought it looked cool. I bought it for the fact that I live in the snowbelt of PA and it had AWD and was the right price. I bought it a ebay and picked it up the next day in balitmore. Honestly I thought it was ugly. I didnt even think I would have this car long I thought a year max. I remember a conversation I had with my stepmom for only $1000 if it lasts a year itll be worth it. I even waited a week to get the tags on. One day while doing nothing like I always did cause I was on fun-employment I went down stairs to put the cd player in. I pulled the old cd player out and headed out to autozone to get the wiring harness. And since I didnt have a radio to listen to I was just listening to the car. I started to feel the car. I really liked the car. I then started to see them everywhere. I saw cool ones and beat ones. On the way to the parts store I stopped to get gas filled it up and was shocked how much gas it needed. While filling the tank a guy pulled up in a wagon “Hey buddy how you like that subaru?” I said I just got not really sure and he precedes “I got mine brand new in 1997 I now have 350k miles” I loved the sound of that.

I drove it pretty easy till winter came and I was a little careful till i was driving on the unplowed highway passing trucks and suvs and I was still running summer tires. That winter I found my love driving in the snow. I would throw my snowboard in the passenger seat and go find places to drop in. I would watch the forecast for the next snowstorm. When they hit I was out in parking lots going as fast as I could push the car sideways. My buddies would play a game where we would roll our widows down and try to get the other guy covered in snow. one of my buddies has a ford f150 he tried so hard to get me, he got stuck in the ditch at the school parking lot. I pulled him out and drug him through the lot. One night it snowed 3 feet plus and I was out all night and all day the next. My theory was no matter what the cops cant catch me the drive a rwd towncar. I drove so hard that winter I blew out my cv joints, bought news ones and was out the next day. I loved it so much that I bought my 2nd subaru that spring.

http://i959.photobucket.com/albums/ae77/worknlikeadog/brighton.jpg It was a 1995 legacy brighton. I drove that for my daily cause the cops never looked at a wagon. Till one day I had my breaks go out and let it sit at collage. turns out when I came back for it I left my lights on. I got the breaks fixed but now it wouldnt keep a charge and I couldnt figure it out. I used my sedan for my diagnostic tool I would swap parts and no matter what I did the sedan worked and the wagon didnt. I keep picking at it and never could get it running. Then one day on the way to work in the sedan the transmission locked between 2nd and neutral. I was devastated I was supposed to snow that night and now I had no subaru. I called my dad and had him tow it to his house I told him I would pull the tranny outta the wagon and put it in the sedan. So there I was charging my battery in the wagon for one last trip I turned all the electronics off I could and took the long way to my dads. The whole way I was avoiding the brake to keep the brake lights off. Ill never forget the last trip in the wagon. well I had the tranny pulled in a couple of hours and it started to snow really hard. (no garage) So I waited to finish the job til the next day. That night the snow stopped and the rain started for about an hour just enough to make it miserable the next day but I dropped the tranny in the sedan and put the wagons tranny in, in less time than getting the first one out. I felt awesome. I know now I will never drive anything but a subaru again.

I do have my next car planned...FORESTER BABY

Alright, here goes my litle story....

Well, I'm only 21 so I haven't really been driving for all that long (although it feels like it's been a long time since I started already).

I've been into cars since I was little. My Mom always loves telling me the story about how I was at fireworks once when I was very little and we were trying to find a blue Jeep Grand Cherokee in a parking lot of thousands of cars and forgot where we parked, and I could tell what car it was by the wheels, even when I was like 5. I've just always been fascinated with them. I was anticipating getting my license and a car when I was like ten years old. For some reason, there were always cool cars for sale near my house, and I remember trying to convince my parents to make my first car either a Nissan 300ZX, a Toyota Land Cruiser (the old school 70s ones) or a 69 Charger R/T. They didn't fly too well needless to say.

Anyway....So fastforward to 2006, and it's FINALLY time for me to start driving. I could hardly contain my excitement the day I finally went car shopping, anxious to see what cars the dealership had. The first car I liked was a yellow Jeep Wrangler 5 speed. My Dad said no because I'd flip it. The second one I REALLY wanted, was a yellow, 5 speed bugeye WRX wagon. I was crazy about it the second I saw it, but he said no because I'd kill myself with a turbo (probably true). I finally settled on a 2002 Legacy GT sedan, automatic (:mad:).

http://images1.americanlisted.com/nlarge/2002_subaru_legacy_gt_28104353.jpg (Not my actual car...don't have any pics of it oddly enough)

I drove this from 2006-2007. I loved it, although I was never in love with the automatic. It was quirky and downshifted very rough and I never got comfortable with it. I actually never felt all that comfortable with it in the winter either. The AWD just never felt all that sure-footed to me. My Dad hated it, since he's an SUV guy, and eventually he traded it in for a 2002 Nissan Xterra (now his car.)

I drove that from 2007 right through my first year of college, until some child support issues took my Dad's car away, forcing him to take the Xterra.

Fastforward again to 2011, and I'm going into my senior year of college. I didn't get RA, and can't afford to live on campus anymore, so I decide to commute. I knew I'd need a good reliable car, so I started car shopping. I knew almost immediately that I wanted a Subaru, although I was leaning towards a WRX or a Legacy GT since I wanted some speed. I also knew I wanted a 5 speed because I didn't like the automatic I had. One day I decided on a whim to look at the local Subaru dealership, and spotted this beauty.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp186/dannymac128/2006%20Subaru%20Legacy%20Special%20Edition/IMG_0086.jpg

A 2006 Legacy 2.5i SE. I saw the seats and fell in love. I didn't care that it was a 2.5i, I had to have it. And it was a 5 speed too. A few weeks later, she was mine. That was in June of this year. :) Aside from sometimes wishing for more power, I'm loving every minute of my time with my second Subaru.

http://i410.photobucket.com/albums/pp186/dannymac128/2006%20Subaru%20Legacy%20Special%20Edition/102_1217.jpg

I've had other cars over the years too, which I can provide pics of if ever interested. I first purchased a 1983 Porsche 944 in 2007 as a project car, which quickly proved to be too expensive for me to handle. I sold that and bought a 1992 Pontiac Firebird Formula 350, which I had until just this summer. Loved that car, but it was getting to the point where I felt something would go wrong every time I drove it, and just didn't want to be bothered anymore.

But yeah.....that's my condensed Subaru story. I'm sure there will be more to come, since in the future I plan on my first brand new car being a new STI.

• I Donated

Jab, you LOVE this thread don't you?

When I wrote my story....and even when I go back and read it....it brings back SO MANY memories

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

I love love love love love this thread. Though Everytime i go through it i get a lil jealous cause i dont have any good storys! I may try to see what you guys think about it. :/ but its a lil lame

Ok heres my story. The first time i really see a subaru. Not very common around here. My uncle from Arkansans came to see us for a weekend. he looks at my old lumina and likes it. talks about trading it with his lil station wagon shows me some pictures. I fell in love. I've always liked wagons. He says its all wheel drive and 5 speed. dang thats awesome. few months later he comes again. and see's my dads old ford truck and traded with him i was sooo sad. Few months ago. I got in a bad wreck in my lumina. so I am now carless. I look and look. and i keep thinking a honda or something cheap like that. cause i only got 1200 from insurance. so i'm looking and looking. and i was getting to drive the subaru everywhere cause my dad works nights so i had it by day. Now i really love it. so one day my parents come to me and say Hey why dont you just take the subaru as your own and we'll just take the insurance money and get your dad a new car. i said OK no problem. But the exhaust broke then had engine problems had a bad miss. :/ so instead of getting my dad a new car they decided to fix all the cars we have already. so we did. cars good as new now. I start getting the modding itch started looking for forums i found LGT. posted some threads got fussed at by ZM and Brokn a few times read the stickys and boom Theres soooo many things i could do. lots of em cheap! i start thinking this car is sooo much better then stupid hondas.

couple months after getting. it got a bad oil leak i couldn't figure out where but evertime i checked i was really low. one day i had a big job interview i was in a rush and nervous i left with out checking the oil. It was driving fine till. I remembered i forgot something i need at home i got mad turned around and took off going a lil fast and reving it a lil high. get to 60mph and Boom car dies uh oh. i pull over. try and start it up the battery died.

so i have my mom go get me a new battery thinking the alternator went out and the battery died. i didn't have tools to fix the alternator on the spot battery was best idea. get new battery start it up worst side i've ever heard i went crazy got all upset screaming out curse words in front of my mom.. Thats a first for me. lol. my mom drives me to my interview :/ thats not very good. :/ i didn't get the job. i start looking for new car again. by then i had made a new friend. Brokn I talked to him and he said to call him and let him hear how it sounds. he hears. dang. you blew the bottom end no doubt. couple weeks later he found me a 2.2 for 200 bucks i talk to the guy he said it ran like a dream.. so I get the money rent a truck and get the engine. had to wait close to 2 months before i could swap it in. cause i had to get some new gaskets. and a seals and money was hard to get since i was jobless. i swapped that baby in and now she's better then ever.

sorry for so many details I use to write books. so I stretched out this very short story.

215536_10150155797372670_791302669_6750583_4156675_n.jpg.2b7124cb719e3669f05b5ebf1534c2a4.jpg

• I Donated

I remember hearing all 2 seconds of your engine running over the phone and just said "yeah its trash. buy a new engine!" lol

That was a sad day

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived