LegacyGT.com

Hand Brake Light...

I use the hand brake when parking my car as I believe anyone should.

I noticed yesterday that when I started the car & put down the brake lever, the light stood on so I checked AllData & the repair manual I downloaded & they mentioned nothing about this.

Has anyone else experienced this before? It will flicker on/off sometimes too randomly.

check your brake fluid level in the master cylinder under the hood. the light will come on if your fluid is low.

but unless you have a leak, your fluid is probably low because your pads are wearing out. so you might want to check that as well. (if you add fluid, don't fill it. or it may over flow when you change your pads next time.)

I'll check the brakes/brake fluid tomorrow. The car doesn't feel any different while stopping but then again, a bad brake system is one of those things that will show it's ugly head when no one is looking. I'll let everyone know what's up...

What brake fluid? I replenished the whole system today because the reservoir had nothing in it & what came out the lines was this really loose black fluid. Now the car stops well & the brake light hasn't come on once. Thanks for the brake fluid suggestion!!

I had the same issue with the Honda Civic I had before this Subaru. Once I filled the resevoir, it came off. About a week later, 1/2 the fluid was gone. I topped it off, and never had it drain drastically again. Maybe the brakes over time "bleed" themselves until their lines are sufficiently filled when this occurs?

Checked the brake fluid reservoir again & it was a little lower again so I started looking for a leak & sure enough, I found it coming from the line in the passenger side rear caliper. The cut in the line was pretty small but when I had my cousin step on the pedal, it started dripping quite a bit. I replaced it & filled the system back up. The crazy thing is that I didn't feel a loss of pressure when I was pressing the brake pedal while moving around...

the reason you didn't feel a difference in the pedal is because you caught it before the master cylinder started pumping air into the system.

good work on the follow up and finding the leak.

Archived