LegacyGT.com

*FINALLY* Got to drive one of these

The Subaru $25 gift certificate prompted me to go in and drive this vehicle, since I avoided it prior knowing that if I did I would want one. Anyway, I got to drive an Atlantic Blue Legacy GT Limited Automatic Sedan. (Whew) My daily driver is a 1997 Impreza "L" Wagon (manual), and I am also very familiar with my mother's 2001 Legacy Outback wagon (automatic). That said, here are my impressions: As I've stated before, the interior is nice, everything seems to be in the right location and just 'fit' properly. I find it very impressive and a large improvement over the 2001 Legacy Outback. A+ The gauges look cool. The interior *IS* boring however, I just felt ... bored looking around. It is nice, and refined, and mature, but boring. Anyway, on to driving the thing is very smooth and QUIET. When the engine gets above 3k you can heard the engine working, and it is nice, and it is never loud or obnoxious like the kids' Hondas, which I like. There *IS* turbo lag. During the drive I turned out onto a freeway with full throttle from a complete stop. Even in the "Sport" mode, it felt exactly like my Mom's Outback, sluggish, no power, until WHOOOOSH off it took. And it *DID* take off, despite expecting it, it did put a grin on my face. The lag isn't an issue that is horrible for me, but it is there. (I have never owned another turbo car, for reference) The automatic was pretty slick, and I was very impressed with it. In the normal mode it would still go pretty fast when you asked for gas, but it would shift pretty early. In sport mode, it was noticably quicker and would hold the gears much longer. In the manual mode (engaged by pushing the level up or down from sport mode, or pushing the steering wheel button in sport mode) it would shift quickly, hold gears a long time, and generally act like a manual should. There was a delay in the shifting but it was fast and not objectionable. A manual COULD be shifted faster, but usually would not be. My conclusion is that the automatic is plenty fast and I like it. However, I just prefer manuals and would probably buy a manual to save money. The car is fast, and other then the 'kick' when the turbo starts pulling, is very smooth -- you (again, expect the turbo 'kick') feel like you are surging while your accelerating. It gets up to 40, 50, very quickly and before you know it you are speeding. It is very easy to speed in the car, the quiet cockpit makes it seem slower then you are actually going. The sound system in the car was decent, but nothing compared to an aftermarket. It had better sound quality then the 2001 outback although the stereo didn't seem to have a "Wideband" mode for traffic reports like the 2001 does. The salesman made sure to point out to me that the 2005 Sedans have 60/40 split fold down rear seats, which he was glad they had addressed from the older Subaru sedans since a lot of people complained about it -- He didn't seem as embarassed as I'd expect when I pointed out to him that they didn't in fact fold down. When I sit in an STi, or an RX-8, or an M3, or a WRX, or even a Mazda 6 I am wowed by the "sporty" feel of sitting inside -- I didn't get any of that feeling in the Legacy. It felt as exciting as sitting in my friend's 2003 Honda Civic except for the cool glowy gauges and the hammer of power when the turbo comes on. I walked away not feeling "wowed" by that part, I would want the car to *feel* more like a sportscar just from sitting in it, not just from the driving. -- I guess I need a Legacy STi! Well, that is my review I hope it was useful to someone! I came away really wanting to buy the car, but not compelled to do so. I am not in a position to afford a new car right now anyway, but if I was I don't know I'd jump on it, I might wait a bit to see what else Subaru has up their sleeve for the enthusiasts re: Legacy. -Allen

[quote name='akm3']The gauges look cool. The interior *IS* boring however, I just felt ... bored looking around. It is nice, and refined, and mature, but boring. There *IS* turbo lag. During the drive I turned out onto a freeway with full throttle from a complete stop. Even in the "Sport" mode, it felt exactly like my Mom's Outback, sluggish, no power, until WHOOOOSH off it took. And it *DID* take off, despite expecting it, it did put a grin on my face. The lag isn't an issue that is horrible for me, but it is there. (I have never owned another turbo car, for reference) The sound system in the car was decent, but nothing compared to an aftermarket. It had better sound quality then the 2001 outback although the stereo didn't seem to have a "Wideband" mode for traffic reports like the 2001 does. When I sit in an STi, or an RX-8, or an M3, or a WRX, or even a Mazda 6 I am wowed by the "sporty" feel of sitting inside -- I didn't get any of that feeling in the Legacy. It felt as exciting as sitting in my friend's 2003 Honda Civic except for the cool glowy gauges and the hammer of power when the turbo comes on. I walked away not feeling "wowed" by that part, I would want the car to *feel* more like a sportscar just from sitting in it, not just from the driving. -- I guess I need a Legacy STi! -Allen[/quote] The Legacy is a GT in the "grand tourer" tradition of being able to go fast in comfort and style. It isn't a sports car, which is a mistake that many people are making. Should a Legacy STi come, it will have the same interior, and that same "unexciting" sensation as you sit inside it. The attributes that you describe: silent power and smoothness are all characteristic to the Legacy's automotive tradition, akin to the Ferrari 360 Modena, a sports car, vs the 456, a GT. In the Subaru line, this difference translates to STi in the Modena slot, vs the Legacy in the 456 slot. The typical GT shopper wants to be impressed, not excited. :lol: The manual feel different from the automatic. The sensation of lag is enhanced by the torque converter, and the time it takes for the autobox to do its thing. I also wonder if salesmen are going to be instructed in the quality of the Subaru ECU that requires a smooth roll onto the throttle, rather than the typical person's "let's see what this thing can do" slam of the gas pedal to the floor, which will result in the ECU taking its own sweet time to get the party started. Kevin

[quote name='gtguy']..... I also wonder if salesmen are going to be instructed in the quality of the Subaru ECU that requires a smooth roll onto the throttle, rather than the typical person's "let's see what this thing can do" slam of the gas pedal to the floor, which will result in the ECU taking its own sweet time to get the party started. Kevin[/quote] Since the Legacy has an adaptive ECU combined with an electronic throttle, throttle response should presumably show some improvement as the ECU learns that the driver likes a lot of WOT.

Allen: Nice review. I agree with pretty much all your comments except for not being wowed with the Legacy. The interior looks are conservative, but tastefully done. I think it'll stand up to time well in that it won't look dated in just a year or two. It is quiet inside, but I really like that. I think Kevin nailed it on the head that it's a Grand Touring model. Quiet and comfortable, but ready to kick-arse when needed. It's a perfect balance, at least for me. The auto does emphasize lag up to around 2500rpms. For a very different experience, try the manual. It pulls very well from the get-go and keeps pulling. Here's how to describe it with Emoticons: Auto: Gas :arrow: :| :arrow: 2500RPMs :arrow: :o Manual: Gas :arrow: :o Ken

For the record, the only part I wasn't "wowed" by was sitting around, looking in the interior it didn't feel "sports car-sey" to me. It isn't supposed to, I realize, but still I kind of want it to. There is rush of "wow" when you sit in an RX-8 or an STi or whatever. That is all. :) -Allen

You’re comparing two very different types of cars. The Legacy isn't meant to be a sports car, instead a grand touring car with a fair amount of luxury. I feel the Legacy has a much better looking interior than the G35, A4, and 3-series. I think in the $30K range the only two cars that have better looking interiors would be the Audi TT and the Acura TL (w/ navi). The more I read and hear things about this car, the more I am lured to it. I've gone from just slightly curious to seriously considering a late August - early September purchase. - Mike

actually i was "wowed" by the interior when i first sat in the Legacy; i couldn't believe it was a car that's made by Subaru. Subaru used to be performance-type of car in my mind since the first day i have sat in a WRX; it means they (used) wont care about the safety or interior design etc. however, i was totally wrong when i saw the 05 B4 in the real person. i was really amazed by Subaru's effort. at lease, the door is much thicker than a WRX's. :P

[quote name='godwhomismike']You’re comparing two very different types of cars. The Legacy isn't meant to be a sports car, instead a grand touring car with a fair amount of luxury. I feel the Legacy has a much better looking interior than the G35, A4, and 3-series. I think in the $30K range the only two cars that have better looking interiors would be the Audi TT and the Acura TL (w/ navi). The more I read and hear things about this car, the more I am lured to it. I've gone from just slightly curious to seriously considering a late August - early September purchase. - Mike[/quote] Exactly.. this is NOT a true sports-car. It's a grand tourer. Just because it has the engine of a sports car :D doesn't mean that it is going to be a sports-car. I drive a sports-car everyday.. and now I have learned to HATE it :lol:

Archived