LegacyGT.com

So I just picked up my new car and my first subaru. It's a 98 legacy l wagon with no rust, tons of receipts, bone stock, and only 76k miles. Pictures to come.

Only problem being the rear struts are pretty much gone. So I took the opportunity to order some 04 wrx springs, struts, and top hats. They will be going in this weekend hopefully.

My plan is a fun, yet still reliable and relatively inexpensive DD. My next step is some upgrade front and rear sways, but I'm not sure what to get. I want to further improve handling but I still want it to be a good DD. Anybody else with similar thought have any suggestions?

Congrats on your "new" car. 76K on the clock? It's just a puppy! I'm almost at 300K. I did tires, springs, struts, front and rear anti-sway bars. All at different times. The most dramatic difference was the rear anti-sway bar.
RIP 96 Legacy 2.2 4EAT lost reverse @ 374,000 miles

Yeah far as in fast. They will be slow no matter what unless you have the engine completely rebuilt. At least the 2.2 is gutless. Driving on it for 2 years has gotten really old. Everything else out there as far as 4 bangers go...the 2.2 is underpowered and waaaaaaaaay behind. Hell my friends stock 1.6 civic can rape me.

So stick to suspension

...That EJ 2.2L (one of the more bullet proof EJ's of that era) with 76k on the clock that engine has a lifetime of promise to be reliable if you get her the proper maintenance. Personally, (with 99k on my 2.5 GT) the head gasket is still the original paper mâché OEM one and it's getting close for the timing belt and water pump maintenance. From what I've read on the stickies here my "open deck" EJ25D is basically not going to take most mods very well. So it's either live with 165HP or just drop some cash on a stronger engine. I'm just saving up my doe to drop something respectable in the engine bay. I know I'm driving on borrowed time right now....at least the 5mt is fun to drive!! Plus my gas milage is on the good side. Like all the good advice from the top dogs on here about the suspension upgrades....it's the best way to start out.

Archived