LegacyGT.com

Top motor mount (pitch stop) not connected

So I was just inspecting my engine bay whilst on a cigarette break at work. Making sure all hoses are well connected, etc etc. Upon inspection, I found that the motor mount is attached to the body, and lines up properly with the engine. However, it was not in any way attaced to the motor! Besides vibrating, and being able to move freely (I could literaly feel the motor and tranny lift up while holding the shifter and accelerating), are there any other issues this may attribute to? Just curious.....

You need both engine mounts.

This is also the stupidest thread title I've ever seen. What happened to titling threads so that they suggested what the thread was about?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Okay, I would assume you would need both motor mounts. No offense, but that did not address my question whatsoever. And so as not to offend your sensibilities, I changed the thread title.

Oh, so you are NOT talking about a motor mount, you are talking about the pitch-stop mount, right? The one on top of the engine?

With properly functioning motor mounts (the two on the bottom), and transmission mount, the pitch stop mount is a little redundant. The bulk of what it does is to help maintain unilateral load on the other three mounts. 95% of people who remove it, can't tell it's gone.

Regardless, you need all of the mounts that were originally in the car. I suggest finding a bolt.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Yes, I was talking about the motor mounts; and was seeking responses in regards to what effects not having the mount actually bolted in place might have. Thank you for addressing my question in that last post. That was my plan. So would there be any kind of issue arising if the load wasn't spread unilaterally? Other than excessive pitch or vibration?

Yes, I was talking about the motor mounts; and was seeking responses in regards to what effects not having the mount actually bolted in place might have. Thank you for addressing my question in that last post. That was my plan. So would there be any kind of issue arising if the load wasn't spread unilaterally? Other than excessive pitch or vibration?

The motor mounts are under the engine. You "changed" the title to say "top motor mount".

So which is it?

If one of the two main motor mounts is broken, expect excessive wear on all driveline components, serious imbalance, potential total failure of the cooling system, and failure of the exhaust system.

If it's the pitch stop, the vibrations will be annoying and you risk breaking other mounts.

Sorry, if I could figure out how to change the actual thread title, I would. I figured that due to the nature of my problem, a sense of humor could be used. I did not expect to receive such a response when all of my other threads have been met with helpful comments.

How have I not been helpful?

I was interjecting for comic relief. My comment was much more appropriate than the thread title. Let this be a lesson to you, consider what you are posting before you post. Don't post THEN edit. :wub:

Expect regulars to be annoyed at titles like this. Personally I assumed it was SPAM and needed to be DELETED before even opening.

From now on, whilst I am still a newb then, I shall keep the title related to the topic of my thread. Twas my bad. But thanks for the information

I think it would be wise to title threads appropriately forever.

• I Donated
Having bad mounts and mounts that are not bolted on can cause various problems. The biggest problems being broken cv joints, vibrations, etc

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

NP - you confused us all I think with where you were looking - and so we were recommending fixes based on another parts of the anatomy. Worked out, lesson learned on both sides. BLUF: Seek clarity...
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

reading stuff like this makes me wonder if im high. maybe is cause i dont know the thread title.

o yea and another thing. Wtf, he side he was on smoke break and looking over his engine like hoses and stuff,,,,,sound like the top of the engine don it... he was talking about the pitch stopper.

Yes, it was the pitch stop. I am no mechanic, so I did not know the technical name for it. I just figured it was a standard motor mount. The more you know! On a side note, I replaced the bolt, and not only have vibrations decreased, but when accelerating, I can no longer feel the motor and tranny lift seperate from the body. That creeped me out!

It would defintely allow things to "rock" back and forth. I'm sure it was distrubing. The larger question is "how" did it happen?
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

I believe how it happened was an overzealous guy and his friend(s) decided to do an engine swap, but weren't thorough in the install. So far it's needed that, a crankshaft position sensor, both o2 sensors, new exhaust gaskets, new intake manifold and throttle body gaskets, as well as a thinner diameter exhaust pipe removed (which had a flange right before a flange). Just a shoddy engine swap job, they got tired of fixing the small stuff, and sold me their problem.

Archived