LegacyGT.com

97 DOHC motor question

If someone could help me out on this it would be great.. so while I'm waiting for my timing belt kit to come in along with some gaskets I need to replace the headgaskets on the wagon.. I need to check the valve clearance.. I picked up a vernier micrometer yesterday..

Ok so I understand how to figure out the replacement size somewhat.. I check with my feeler gauge add that with the current shim size and I get the replacement size that brings me back into spec?

a 0.0001" mic sounds pretty excessive for valve clearances

Well before you spend a lot of time calculating the HG thickness you might want to ensure it wont all be meaningless by warped mating surfaces. I have seen a many "simple rebuilds" go sour a few hundred miles after due to a failed HG in which the surfaces were not checked.

Figure out what needs to be done with the head (decked and trued and HG thickness required) and then worry about the valves. 1 follows the other.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

^^ You need to check valve clearance on those shims on a fairly regular basis for the EJ25D... Replacing the headgaskets I'd hope he gets the head refreshed... at the very least make sure you keep the shims in order and put them back where they came from..

Archived