LegacyGT.com

Limited Boost

A couple of weeks ago (subsequently, a week after I bought it) I was on a quick trip out of town. Cruise control kicked off, CEL came on, and cruise was flashing. Got it scanned at an Oreilys and got a p2096. Called a couple people and they said to clear the code and see if it happens again. After clearing the code, I babied it for a while. Seemed to drive normal for a while. Then I noticed this weekend that although the turbo responds normally and boosts quickly, it will only boost to 10psi and it takes more effort to get there than it normally would. It also idles a little lower than it did and a bit rough at times. Also since I bought it, it has an oily smell to the exhaust, but no smoke. I figured the turbo is leaking. I have a factory replacement to eventually swap in.

To be honest I tried searching, but didnt know what to search for. 2005 LGT wagon 5mt with 70k.

Previous owner did the following mods:

STi uppipe

Godspeed downpipe

AVO panel filter

Accessport stage 2

Any thoughts?

The bad thing about the code you got is that it's not really symptomatic of anything in particular. My first guess would be a bad O2, but limited boost and rough idle makes me think you have a leak. Also, if the turbo is pushing oil into the exhaust the cat could be going and tweaking the O2 as well. Best solution is probably to do some logs to see if you can narrow things down. I would also watch oil consumption and keep in mind that if the turbo is going it may not be long before catastrophic failure.

Are you sure you didn't blow off on of your hoses by chance?

I had one blow of the blow off valve last week and had similar symptoms (but no cel). Slow to boost and limited to waste gate boost.

Reconnected the hose and put a new zip tie on and things were good to go again. Try checking all your hoses.

You're at wastegate boost pressure, either from the CEL or because you are seeing knock in certain ranges, or you have such a massive leak that you can't build past 10psi... more than likely the tabs of your intercooler (check right above the turbo) are breaking out and you're getting slight blow-by oil out of the IC directly on to the turbo... I'd also check the intercooler to throttle body coupler and make sure the inner lip hasn't blown out...

• 2 weeks later...
I are an idiot. I am the paranoid used car owner, boost is appropriate, must be the excessive heat (weather) affecting performance. The guage is in bar not psi. durr. Still cant figure out the smell though. Smell is only during driving, the more boost the more it smells. No smell from engine bay or exhaust when running while parked.

• 1 month later...
I are an idiot. I am the paranoid used car owner, boost is appropriate, must be the excessive heat (weather) affecting performance. The guage is in bar not psi. durr. Still cant figure out the smell though. Smell is only during driving, the more boost the more it smells. No smell from engine bay or exhaust when running while parked.

Check the vents in your trunk. Mine did this and drove me nuts. It ends up one of the rubber vents in the trunk fell off. These allow you to shut the doors and trunk without causing pressure buildup. But, if one of them is missing you get some exhaust smell when you get on the boost while driving.

They're on both sides under the cover material.

OK, so you had 1.0 bar (about 14 psi) of boost. That's pretty normal for a gasoline engine.

Considering that coming diesels (Euro 6 emissions) will have a boost over 3 bar the boost you see is mild.

453747.png

Archived