LegacyGT.com

Used Audi S4 or A4 any good?

I think after 05 they got a 2.2 vs the old 2.0 L engine. On another note, anyone tried out a Saturn Sky Red Line? 2.0L turbo with 260hp/260tq..?

The people I know with skytices have had reliability issues.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The people I know with skytices have had reliability issues.

What kind? My aunt has a solstice gxp the better lookign fo the two IMO and it has the same turbocharged DI 4 cylinder the cobalt SS has which is pretty rock solid engine.

Have you ever driven a Vette?

I'd get an older Viper long before a Vette.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Vette's have the big engine and you can get a C5 Z06 fairly cheap. Problem is you get a Cobalt interior.

Vipers are actually getting pretty cheap too. I'd never get a first gen RT/10 roadster though. I'm 6'2" and could barely first and the pedals are really clsoe together so I'd hit the accelerator and brake at the same time. The coupes are a little better. I can't remember if I've driven an SRT10 version coupe or a first gen coupe.

I drove a first gen Viper RT-10. Sure, it's got balls, but it's hard to drive for more than an hour at a time because the footwell gets so hot from the engine. The few times that I've driven it I've also burned my legs on the sidepipes getting out of the car.

That all being said, I would still take a Viper over a Vette... it has character, we'll say

Have you ever driven a Vette?

I'd get an older Viper long before a Vette.

Then your silly, the viper interior is smaller, made from almost nothing, is less comfotable and the car itself is not fun to drive unless going 110mph+. And the 1st gen viper is slower than any c6

A newer viper well thats a different story, the first gen viper was a horrible car with a big engine and bad gearing.

Question all.....why are used Vettes so cheap? I can get an 04 up to 08 for 21-22K.. Check cars.com

Vettes are some of the best bang for buck cars out there IMO. You can get them pretty cheap and there performance and potential is pretty damn good. They make good cruisers too as gas mileage is great. I averaged 30.3mpg on my 3 hour drive this past weekend. They are cheaper sports cars because they do not have hand stitched suade on this and that. There engines(unless you buy a z06 or zr1) are not hand assembled. So they cut cost but they still perform well. When looking at suspension pieces I came to realize that my c5 has many of the same pieces as the gt40 and many kit cars that are known to handle well.

Question all.....why are used Vettes so cheap? I can get an 04 up to 08 for 21-22K.. Check cars.com

Vettes are cheap because GM builds tons of them and they're American.

They've very good cars. Faster than anything for the money, including in turns. Reliable and tough drivetrains (not so sure about the electronics). Cheap to make even faster. Good freeway mileage if you can somehow resist stomping on it. A C6 Z51 I drove had a very smooth ride with composed and extremely grippy handling. And all generations except the C4 look badass. The interior is cheap but...so? The C6 interior isn't bad, it just isn't luxury in any way. The seats do suck for a sports car though.

Really their big downside is they're too fast, too smooth, and handle too well. So unless you feel like risking your license they're actually a bit boring and uninvolving on the street compared to a more high-strung sports car or even an STI or Evo. I'd only buy one if I intended to track it. They're too much car for the street IMO.

Vette's have the big engine and you can get a C5 Z06 fairly cheap. Problem is you get a Cobalt interior.

Vipers are actually getting pretty cheap too. I'd never get a first gen RT/10 roadster though. I'm 6'2" and could barely first and the pedals are really clsoe together so I'd hit the accelerator and brake at the same time. The coupes are a little better. I can't remember if I've driven an SRT10 version coupe or a first gen coupe.

I wouldn't get a first-gen, because I like having windows that roll down and door handles.

Second gen+ would be the way to go, and you can still get them for a decent price.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Then your silly, the viper interior is smaller, made from almost nothing, is less comfotable and the car itself is not fun to drive unless going 110mph+. And the 1st gen viper is slower than any c6

A newer viper well thats a different story, the first gen viper was a horrible car with a big engine and bad gearing.

The corvette is bang-for-your-buck, because they cut corners on the little things (like all GM products, not just the Vette). You get a good chassis and reliable engine, with a rental car interior. The Second-gen Viper, at least comes with a radio you can replace with one from Best Buy.

I know you have a Vette, and I'm not trying to downplay the fun-factor or economy of the car. I'm just saying that if I, personally, were going to choose between them, I'd get a Viper instead.

http://www.fortunecity.se/grandprix/gocart/117/photos/nath3.jpg

http://image.gmhightechperformance.com/f/15637595/0905gmhtp_20_z+c5_corvette+interior_view.jpg

Just chiming in. My wife has had a Audi A4 for a few yrs now and it's had no problems what so ever. In fact I like to drive it, it gets up and goes & we drive it when we have to travel some where. It's a 08, has a "s" drive which makes it much torqueier, great throttle response, & paddle shifters to boot. I think Audi's much improved after 06.

Vettes r sweet! That's a different animal.

One more reason to buy a Viper: everyone and their dad has a Vette. I don't even look twice at them anymore. Vipers on the other hand, I oggle as they're coming toward me and I painfully watch it go by in the rear-view. IMHO, I think Vipers are better looking

Just chiming in. My wife has had a Audi A4 for a few yrs now and it's had no problems what so ever. In fact I like to drive it, it gets up and goes & we drive it when we have to travel some where. It's a 08, has a "s" drive which makes it much torqueier, great throttle response, & paddle shifters to boot. I think Audi's much improved after 06.

There is no "s drive" in an Audi. There is an S line which has the exact same performance as a regular A4. All the S line package is is an appearance package with slightly different body kit, and some interior changes. 06 and 08 is the same body style with a couple of small updates to certain things.

The corvette is bang-for-your-buck, because they cut corners on the little things (like all GM products, not just the Vette). You get a good chassis and reliable engine, with a rental car interior. The Second-gen Viper, at least comes with a radio you can replace with one from Best Buy.

I know you have a Vette, and I'm not trying to downplay the fun-factor or economy of the car. I'm just saying that if I, personally, were going to choose between them, I'd get a Viper instead.

http://www.fortunecity.se/grandprix/gocart/117/photos/nath3.jpg

http://image.gmhightechperformance.com/f/15637595/0905gmhtp_20_z+c5_corvette+interior_view.jpg

I know how cheap the interior is i see it everyday lol. But i do have an aftermarket radio, speakers and amp in mine. Plus you rarely get to choose between a vipe and a vette as a viper is generally more expensive. That is also the interior of a car from 1997 not the new gen

I don't think I would be listening to the radio much in either car...LOL

I really should start a separate pole but how many of you have more than one car? After my misadventure with a thief who stole some aftermarket parts off my car making it close to not drive-able this weekend a) I'm seriously considering the fact that I need a second car because of my job and b) it probably will have to be something very reliable, still fairly fun, great on gas and no more than 10K. Maybe next year 2012.

"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

There is no "s drive" in an Audi. There is an S line which has the exact same performance as a regular A4. All the S line package is is an appearance package with slightly different body kit, and some interior changes. 06 and 08 is the same body style with a couple of small updates to certain things.

There is a "S" drive in her car, and yes its a "s-line" as well. P,R,N,D,S thats the order on the shifter + manuel shift mode as well. :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

On a whim, l almost bought a used A4 a while back until the owner said that it didn't have the timing belt replaced yet. Did some research and found out that the whole front whole front end needs to be pulled. Not kidding. You gotta pull the front bumper, head lights, etc. all the way to the engine.

Check out this Youtube video and imagine what a dealer will charge if you can't afford it...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os2MSdDOL6M]Adui A4 1.8T t-belt - YouTube[/ame]

There is a "S" drive in her car, and yes its a "s-line" as well. P,R,N,D,S thats the order on the shifter + manuel shift mode as well. :rolleyes:

That still isn't "S" drive. That is putting the trans into sport mode which just holds the gears longer for a sport type driving.

On a whim, l almost bought a used A4 a while back until the owner said that it didn't have the timing belt replaced yet. Did some research and found out that the whole front whole front end needs to be pulled. Not kidding. You gotta pull the front bumper, head lights, etc. all the way to the engine.

Check out this Youtube video and imagine what a dealer will charge if you can't afford it...

You don"t have to do it to that extreme. There is a thing called service position in which you move the entire radiator support forward about 4"-6" which gives you enough room to do it. I know some guys that don't even do that. The front bumper on an A4 of that vintage has 6 bolts holding it on. The core support is another 13. I think we charge 6-7 hours to do a timing belt, water pump (some are driven from the timing belt), tensioning rollers, t stat, and all the serp belts (depending on year can have 3 belts of one serp belt).

S2000 are pretty cool. Don't know if different years are different but I had trouble fitting while driving my friends. I am 6'3"

I'm 6'4", had to install the Backyard Auto lowered seat rails which drop the seat base 2". I fit pretty well.

Next mod is a Hard Dog roll bar..

That still isn't "S" drive. That is putting the trans into sport mode which just holds the gears longer for a sport type driving.

You don"t have to do it to that extreme. There is a thing called service position in which you move the entire radiator support forward about 4"-6" which gives you enough room to do it. I know some guys that don't even do that. The front bumper on an A4 of that vintage has 6 bolts holding it on. The core support is another 13. I think we charge 6-7 hours to do a timing belt, water pump (some are driven from the timing belt), tensioning rollers, t stat, and all the serp belts (depending on year can have 3 belts of one serp belt).

The quotes I got were from $800 at an indy to $1200 at the dealership. You are right there probably some places that have tricks get in there and do the change.

Archived