LegacyGT.com

Used Audi S4 or A4 any good?

I keep getting an itch for something new and Subaru just don't have anything that interests me for the foreseeable future. Are used Audis worth buying or just money pits??
"Gimme mines Balboa...Gimme mines".....Clubber Lang - Mr. T

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Money pits.

You practically have to pull the motor to swap the accessory belts on the V8 S4's.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

My ex-girlfriend had an A4 1.8T, that thing was in the shop every 3 months for some $600 installed sensor...

My friend has an AllRoad wagon, very nice car, but I couldn't believe how far the motor/body how to come apart for simple maintenance tasks.. the thermostat for instance, would practically require removal of the bumper and timing belt...

I did some research about a year ago on the later model A4 2.0T. It seemed to improve drasticly after 2006.

How is the maintenance?....Are common things on a DIY level or simple oil changes dealer only? At this rate I may end up in a WRX. Hopefully it gets more upscale in the near future.

s4 biturbo - is a good car but parts are more $ and its somewhat a PITA to work on,

s4 v8 - +1 to above but i actually considered that route briefly during the transition between my old STi and my now specB cause they are pretty nice

a4 1.8t - is a POS BUCKET! nuf said..the 2.0t being dramatically better but still...

the only 2 other cars on my list were 335xi and surprisingly a volvo s60r but they are impossible to find with low mileage

my $.02

The only s4 worth buying is the 2.7TT.

The only car more reliable when you change the turbos (this applies to K04s only).

The K03s die and the turbos are an engine pull.

The suspension falls apart though.

(The ur-S4/s6 with the straight 5 is also good.)

My friend had to have the dealer change his A4 transmission fluid totaling $300, because they use a special filling tool. Money pit!

Don't buy an automatic. That said, the transmission he's talking about is a ZF 5HP19 unit used in everything from volkswagens to BMWs to Porsches.

The fluid is extremely expensive, but anyone talking about special labor is just ******* with you. Anyone who works with german cars can do it.

Those transmissions suck though, they're very prone to overheat.

s4 biturbo - is a good car but parts are more $ and its somewhat a PITA to work on,

s4 v8 - +1 to above but i actually considered that route briefly during the transition between my old STi and my now specB cause they are pretty nice

a4 1.8t - is a POS BUCKET! nuf said..the 2.0t being dramatically better but still...

the only 2 other cars on my list were 335xi and surprisingly a volvo s60r but they are impossible to find with low mileage

my $.02

I also almost considered a V8 S4. They sound SO good, and they are a world of fun to drive, but I cringe at the thought of maintenance.

The Volvo S60R/V70R is a neat car/wagon, but they slacked on a few things. Front-lit gauges, for one, belong in a Saturn and not a 300hp "luxury" car. They are also pretty heavy, and relatively slow because of it. But they still look good.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

^^^definitely heavy! ive done car show marketing for Volvo for years and for the power its out of its own league but for how safe that car is, the loss in performance is worth it for those trying to step into something that safe but cant let go of the roots ;) and yes, LEDs on those gorgeous blue gauges would have been much better.

• 3 weeks later...
While I have no experience in any of the aforementioned cars, I can say that my parents have owned Mercedes'/Porsches/BMWs and the repair bills I see from them are outrageous. You gotta pay to play when it comes to German cars.

A friend just picked up a v8 s4. Timing chain guides are worn out at 75kmiles, requires engine to be pulled, shops want 4500.00. The good news is it still works with the worn guides, just lots of noise fro mthe engine bay.

It just means that if you have a good garage then you can probably do the job yourself.

We can do any job ourselves but thats not the point. A 2004 with 75k miles needing timing chain guides replaced and engine dropped= gay.

Well I guess i'll keep looking from the other side of the fence when it comes to Audi. Any other understated options to replace the Legacy with down the road? Hate boring ass Honda, Toyota, and Nissan...well maybe a 370z.

Well I guess i'll keep looking from the other side of the fence when it comes to Audi. Any other understated options to replace the Legacy with down the road? Hate boring ass Honda, Toyota, and Nissan...well maybe a 370z.

The new STI or WRX lol

I agree that honda, toyota and nissan all make boring non quirky cars. The 370z is cool until you realized for the almost 40k you spent you could have a 1 or 2 year old corvette and had the same interior space but 100 more hp and 130 more trq. I even saw a 06 z06 going for 38k the other day.

It just means that if you have a good garage then you can probably do the job yourself.

NOt so much. The chain is at the back of the engine in which you have to take the trans off. Then you have to remove the back chain covers and have multiple special tools to detension the chains, hold the cams and crank in place for base engine timing, among other things. Can at DIY do it, possibly but do you want to chance a cam moving causing you to bend a valve?

You also don't need to put the car in service position to replace the serp belt. You just replace it from underneath.

Avoid 05/06 2.0T's. THey had problems with the intake cam prematurely wearing out the lifter for the high pressure pump. If let go long enough the cam wears through the lifter and the plunger for the high pressure pump casuing a check engine light for high pressure fuel system pressure to low. THe good news is Audi extended the warranty to 100K on them.

Also 06-present 2.0T are having oil usage problems. WHen they designed the engine the made the piston rings to thin to create better mpg due to less friction. WHen they did this the rings would wear to quick causing them to burn oil above spec 9meaning 1 quart or more in less then 1000 miles). The current fix is to replace the crankcase breather, a reflash, and replacement of the pistion rings and sometimes the pistons. If you have all your maintenance records AUdi almost always pays the bill.

If you want a S4 V8 go for a late 05 or newer car. 04s being the first year had some issues such as porous blocks that would leak coolant from the block (by now this isn't really a problem). The 04s also seem to have starter issues. Customers come out to their car and the car has a good battery but won't crank.

IF you find an Audi you are interested in pm me and I'll work some magic for you.

I really wouldnt think twice about removing the engine and tranny and will help him if thats the route he decides to go. I have removed quite a few and between me, the owner of the s4 and our buddy who has unlimited access to his work shop we have removed/replaced/rebuilt dozens of engines and trannys from many different cars. But its just such a PITA to do it on a car that really isnt that old. My corvette is 7 years older and has more miles and the valve covers have never had too been opened much less anything replaced. I am sure it will be somewhat of a bitch to work on since we will have to be extra careful not to damage the car in anyway.

After all this, I will only consider leasing an Audi. Not worth the trouble owning it. Another option could be an S2000..low on power but handles great.

S2000 are pretty cool. Don't know if different years are different but I had trouble fitting while driving my friends. I am 6'3"

Archived