LegacyGT.com

So here's my predicament...

I've got my 06 LGT Limited (5EAT), and after doing months and months of research and finally waiting for my old car to die, I had decided the LGT was the car for me. Except when my car died, I had about a week to pick out a new car and all I could find locally were 5EATs... I really want a 5MT or a 6MT.

So I'm cruising on the interwebs last night and I find an A4 3.2 S-Line with the 6MT for just about the same price I paid for my LGT (about $1000 more). My LGT has 65k miles and the A4 has low 57k. I love my LGT, but I just want something a little quicker and something where I can row my own gears. I've got the nav in my car, and I really don't want to go back to a non-nav car, so that all-but rules out the 5MT LGT.

I would do this in a *minute* if it were a Spec-B and I knew it were a reliable car. The thing that's holding me back is that I'm trying to save money for a house or a condo next year, and I don't want to be spending all my savings on fixing this car, given Audi's not-so-awesome reputation for reliability.

So what's your opinion? Should I stay or should I go?

One thing to include in your calculations is that you have to (a) actually sell your LGT, and (b) pay taxes on the A4. Maybe not a big deal but IMO it's all real money when you are trying to save for a house.

Also, the 3.2 is like a 224whp/216wtq engine in a 3700lb car. The stock LGT makes slightly less power but should also be a little lighter. If you check out dyno charts they are not wildly different in their power delivery. More bench racing reveals that the A4 runs high 14s in the 1/4 mile, so that is similar as well.

I would encourage you to drive the A4 if you are really dying for it because of the 6MT, but I wouldn't expect a serious performance jump from the LGT.

Don't expect to make much extra power if you get the 3.2.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

One thing to include in your calculations is that you have to (a) actually sell your LGT, and (b) pay taxes on the A4. Maybe not a big deal but IMO it's all real money when you are trying to save for a house.

Also, the 3.2 is like a 224whp/216wtq engine in a 3700lb car. The stock LGT makes slightly less power but should also be a little lighter. If you check out dyno charts they are not wildly different in their power delivery. More bench racing reveals that the A4 runs high 14s in the 1/4 mile, so that is similar as well.

I would encourage you to drive the A4 if you are really dying for it because of the 6MT, but I wouldn't expect a serious performance jump from the LGT.

The stock LGT is 250hp/250tq no? Audi's are solid cars, they're reliability will really hurt your pocketbook though...

Stay with what you have. The house is more important. Do a house, why pay somebody $250+ in condo fee's for something you never get back. Put the money into a house.

I did a condo back in the early 80's doubled my money 18month's later, paid 35,000, sold it for 75,000, that worked out well. But things are different now.

If you want a little more power, Cobb AP.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

The stock LGT is 250hp/250tq no? Audi's are solid cars, they're reliability will really hurt your pocketbook though...

At the crank, he was saying whp, the legacy is in the 190's IIRC. I would say stick with the LGT, maybe consider getting the HexMods valve body for a better feel (still no 3rd pedal I know, but at least it has quick response!)

I suppose. The power/weight thing I overlooked. And I did also forget about paying the taxes on the A4, which I'm not excited about haha. I guess sticking with a 5EAT won't be the worst thing in the world. There is a guy the next down over selling his AP.v1 for $225.

The only reason I'm looking for a condo is because I can't afford a house in the area I'm looking at which is close to my job(damn all you rich people!). They have nice affordable condos, and to be completely honest I don't have the resources (snowblower, lawnmower) to maintain a house at the moment. My theory is that while the housing market is down, all the people in the condos want to get out while they can still snag a nice house for cheap. This is where I come in and swoop in for a good deal on a condo!:spin: No?

How much $ do you owe on the subie? If it saves you $ getting the audi, then go ahead and get it. If it will cost more each month or more than what you owe than find a cheaper one. If you own the subie, are you paying cash for the A4? You wouldn't want another payment, Right. Also what are you going to do when the factory Nav doesn't work anymore? You don't get lost much do you? BTW A4's are slower than a lgt.

The stock LGT is 250hp/250tq no?

Essentially, yes, but I denoted my power figures at the wheels since IMO that's more relevant when you are actually driving the car. The Audi 3.2 is similarly listed very close to 250hp/250tq at the crank and the dyno graphs are not really much different as far as where they peak, where power falls off, and where they redline, so the engines make similar power and the cars have similar drivetrain loss, with the Audi arguably showing slightly less loss that essentially compensates for its heavier curb weight in actual performance. My whole point was just to illustrate that, in straight line performance, the cars in stock form are going to be VERY similar.

Oh great...I'm sure that's what he wanted to hear.

Good Luck with your search for a condo.

Yes I understand about the snowblower, lawnmower thing. You can always buy used.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Nothing wrong w/ buying a condo, but did you consider a townhouse? That way you won't have any neighbors above/ below you.

We bought a townhouse. While association dues suck, I don't have to do any yard work, shovel snow (besides my 15ft walkway), the pool, tennis courts, and golf course are all maintained.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

I dont see much of a point in making a lateral move to the Audi. You'd just spending more money and all you will get is a more expensive car to maintain and a big Audi emblem on the front instead of a Subaru emblem. Go drive one and you'll see how similar they really are performance wise. In a straight line you wont see much of a difference you will see some differences in the twisties though. Personally, I felt the Legacy was lighter on its feet than the Audi. If you really want that third pedal I would just hold out for a good Spec B. My $.02 for whats its worth.

2012 Xterra Pro-4X

2003 Outback Sedan Limited

D.U.S.T.O.F.F.

"Dedicated Unhesitating Service To Our Fighting Forces"

I think you're right. Holding out for a Spec.B, or just sucking it up and living with the 5EAT is looking like the best bet the more and more I truly think about it and crunch the numbers.

I haven't thought about a townhouse yet. The prospects of not having noisy neighbors is a huge plus for me. I'll see what's on the market around here as soon as my lunch break ends!

Good luck! Lot's of good buys on houses/townhomes right now, sorry if my comment earlier made you stray a bit from condos. I'm in the same boat as you and from what I'm finding/reading it's looking like the apartment/condo industry is going to get a big influx of customers from all of those who could no longer afford their homes.

Oh no problem. I actually found it insightful instead of lecturing. Reading and hearing from other people is how I've learned a bunch about the housing market lately. It's amazing how much condo prices are dropping though. A family friend of ours is a real estate agent and said she's seeing condos go for about 2/3 or more of their asking price!

I guess the "condo" I thought I was looking at all along was actually a townhome. I had limited my search to places with private attached garages so I could work on my car/motorcycle whenever I wanted to and avoid parking lots/garages where door dings are a common occurrance.

Archived