LegacyGT.com

Help me with my upgraded turbo/fuel setup

I was finally able to put on my stage 2 parts, and now I have the mod bug. My goal is to be between 290 to 340 whp with a somewhat conservative tune.

This thread will document my upgrades and serve as an area where people can give me their input, thoughts, and opinions.

Car in question- 2008 5EAT Legacy (reason for conservative tune until climberD releases his valve body mod for the 08!)

As you can see, after installing all of the mods below and getting tuned, my goal of falling between 290 and 340 whp was wayyyyy off. After I get my transmission settled with some upcoming mods, I will definitely be changing my setup around and hopefully join the 300+ club.

As of right now, I have no gauges installed, mainly because I don't drive it much, and I want them to look factory. I may try and design the clamshell dual gauge pod for myself, simply because the perrin looks tacky and unfinished.

I still do not know what gauges I would like to run, or even the brand.

---------------Parts INSTALLED-----------------

BNR 18G turbo- Installed by SubiMods.

I was not too happy with the way they went about business. They had put it on before I left for Florida. It took a day which is fine, but when I went to pay for it, the cashier guy told me "ooh thats cash only." So I drove around hartford looking for a TD Bank and finally I had the cash. I get back there, pay for the turbo install and the brakes I had ordered. I then put my brakes in the back of my car, and it wasn't until I closed my trunk when the cashier guy tells me "we couldn't order the stop-techs you wanted, so we got you DBA slotted fronts, and street series rears for the same price." Cool on their part, but when I order something after weighing out all options and whatnot, don't you think it would be professional to call me and tell me they won't be able to order them? I had ordered hawk pads and a Techna-Fit braided steel line kit for the front and rears. I thought thats what I loaded into my car. The next day, I installed the front and rear rotors, and pads. I then parked my car in my driveway and let it sit for a week while I was in Florida.

It was not until half way through my trip in Florida when I realized I never got the braided steel lines. I called them and they said "let me check if we still have them here."

As soon as I got home, I installed my RacerX front mount. I then gave it a few test drives. I noticed quite a bit of oil on the underside of the turbo along with the slight burning smell of oil. I called over to Subimods and they told me to bring it in.

I met with one of the "techs" who just blamed the install on the other tech who didn't tighten a clamp all the way. They told me to come back 'later' and it would be ready. Luckily my buddy and I are amused by window shopping for cars and bikes, so we headed over to the AUDI dealership and then hit up Gengras Harley.

We had left the car at 12 noon, and didn't get the call until 4pm that the car was ready. No big deal, but we all know our time is worth something.

We walked back over and they told me that it wasn't a clamp problem, but it was a hose that was flattened or kinked.

I was then charged $50 for that since it had to be replaced. It was literally 3 to 4 inches long.... I was more than pissed with my experience that day so I stupidly didn't even question why I should have to pay the 50 dollars. I did make damn sure I got my braided steel lines that day.

Long story short is that I would rather bring my business elsewhere.

RACER X FMIC- I had a fun time installing this piece as well. It is almost laughable what happened. Good old Hurricane Irene had wiped out my power before I got home from Florida, but it did not hit me until the next morning when I went out into the garage to install it. I went to turn the lights on, and......nothing. I decided that I would be doing absolutely nothing better, so I used my makita led light lamp thing and went for it. It was a long day of fitting, refitting, and fitting again, but all in all, I got it done and I am very happy with the results. I would like to tweak certain clamps so that they look a bit neater in the engine bay, but for now it is suitable. I also painted the 4 front clamps that come off the front core so that it is truly a stealth setup of all black up front.

FP Oil feed line kit- Had it installed with the turbo @ Subimods (hopefully it wont leak).

Witchhunter modified STI top feeds- Had them installed at the same time as the turbo.

TurboSmart Bypass Valve- Installed by Subimods.

Fuel pump (walbro 255lph in modified housing)- Had fun getting sprayed in the eyes by gasoline at 11pm the night before the turbo install. Fun Fun.

Spark plugs (One step colder)- I decided to install the one step colder plugs as it was a strong recommendation by Chris at EFI logics. I installed them the same day that I put my new brakes on and did a coolant drain and fill.

Invidia catless DP- 3"- Was already installed previous to my new turbo setup.

Stromung catback- full 3"- Found out that my pipe was in contact with my rear CV joint at some point or another and had stripped the clamp off the boot. I went to Center Subaru and got the part for $6 and reinstalled it. I have been keeping my eye on it, and it seems to be doing fine. The boot itself was not moved off the larger part of the CV joint, but I understand that some dirt could have possibly snuck in and may compromise the joints life by a hair. If it breaks again, I will try and readjust my hanger since that seems like it's the problem as I have been following MSpranks unfortunately long and drawn out process with the STROMUNG quad tips.

K&N panel filter-Was installed, if you can even call it that, about 5k miles ago.

Accesport for 08- Was reflashed back when the DP and quad tip were put on, but I used it for a base map that Chris from EFI logics sent over when I got my turbo put on.

Grimmspeed EBCS- Installed under the recommendation by Chris.

TUNED BY CHRIS @ EFI LOGICS- It was one of my more exciting things that I was anticipating this summer, but at the same time I was a bit nervous. I was truly expecting something wrong or bad to happen since everything else seemed to be happening poorly, but I was mistaken. I have to say, as he was tuning my car, I walked next door to JNA and spoke with the owner for quite a while, and the next thing I knew, my car was all set. It was quick, painless, and well worth the trip. While I was there, I took a peek in the bay areas and there were license plates from about 7 different states.

I realized well before tuning my car that my numbers would be somewhat below others with the same mods, but I was pretty disappointed with the numbers my car made and with the mods I had. I will have to possibly upgrade my stock airbox and go with something else, but that can wait until the 08+ VB from ClimberD comes out!

After driving my car for quite a few miles on the way home, I fell in love with it. I truly no longer care about my dyno numbers, but rather enjoy the car for what it is.... an automatic that robs power. It's my own fault for expecting more out of it.

I will upload the dyno sheet this weekend along with some photos of my car with the new front mount installed.

It made 256 horsepower and 281 ft lbs.

As I was paying, he hooked me up with an EFI license plate surround which was cool, and I will definitely be back there whenever I need my car retuned. Hope to see some people there for the meet in OCTOBER!

P.S. I NEVER INSTALLED MY TECHNAFIT KIT, SO IF ANYONE IS IN THE MARKET MAKE ME AN OFFER. THEY ARE $115.00 NEW.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
FYI the racer-x tubes are somewhat smaller (2.5" opposed to standard 3" FMICs), which are better for response with smaller turbos. An 18G is plenty big enough for a racer-x. An 18 or 20g on an IPR TMIC is laughable in a legacy as ours are smaller than that of an STI setup. In fact, I have a racer-x on my vf46 and recorded sizable gains up top on the dynojet.

So with the racer x FMIC, you would stick with an 18g and 740cc injectors? Any particular brand?

Would i ever see the benefits of a ceramic coating on the FMIC, or would it be a pointless expense?

a 16 will work fine with a fmic, but for best I'd go 18g or 20g. There's a billion reviews on turbos and everyone will say something different.....with 740's an 18g or less would be appropriate

TD06-20G, AVO FMIC, ID1000cc injectors, Tomei 252 cams (plus some other mods).... incredible response at 24psi for daily driving. I'm currently running Tomei's ARMS 7790 turbo, which is like a small 30r, and I'm considering going back to my 20G because that turbo feels perfectly matched to the 2.5. I was hitting peak boost by 3300RPMs, whereas the Tomei is right around 3900.

I shouldn't say never, but since im in new england i will never utilize an e85 tune. If the time comes, I will have probably purchased a larger turbo which is when I would go and purchase larger injectors.

So go with a bypass valve? Any particular one that is better?

As for fueling, is it a PITA to modify the oem housing for the walbro?

Spark plugs- one step colder or stay stock?

Sorry for all the questions guys. Just want to get it straight.

I shouldn't say never, but since im in new england i will never utilize an e85 tune. If the time comes, I will have probably purchased a larger turbo which is when I would go and purchase larger injectors.

So go with a bypass valve? Any particular one that is better?

As for fueling, is it a PITA to modify the oem housing for the walbro?

Spark plugs- one step colder or stay stock?

Sorry for all the questions gays. Just want to get it straight.

:orly:

:lol::lol::lol:

this is my bpv- I love it http://www.rallysportdirect.com/Forge-Recirculation-Valve-Subaru-WRX-2009-2011-Legacy-GT-2005-2009

people say to get one step colder, but there's varying opinions on it. (delayed ignition hence partially increasing exhaust valve damage due to temps?)

there are writeups on how to make the walbro fit in the stock housing, searchhhhh

If your going with that I'd take a look at gs ebcs, would help with more boost. Don't forget turbo inlet either. I don't recommend runnin stock airbox over 300chp. Take a look at witch hunter for injectors. Top feed modding only costs $100 + shipping for 840cc injectors. As for oil lines, don't do the fp kit, it sucks. You can easily piece a kit together or pm the guy here on the forums that was selling it ad a kit. 3 10-12" -4 an lines npt with a T male through fitting. I also highly recommend the fp inline oil filter.

is a turbo inlet completely necessary to upgrade? I'm essentially modifying the vf40, so mounting should be identical correct?

As for the injectors, are you saying I can send mine in to get modified for $100 from 550cc to 740 or 840cc? Mine are already top feeds since I have an 08.

You can't chose the cc, it's +/- 840cc with a 3-5% variance for top feeds and yes I'm saying you can do that for $100. I recommend getting a cheap second set and sending them in to minimize down time and then you can later send out your stock set and then flow match them if you wish. And as for a turbo inlet, an aftermarket inlet is far from the same as the stock one. Composition as well as size are completely different. Stock turbo inlet is mostly plastic and rubber, which has a high probability of cracking/tearing, especially when doing a turbo swap.

The only reason I was considering the TMIC was cause its easier, BUT with racer x ver 3 kit, its pretty much as good as it gets. You keep your front bumber bar, fog lights, and reservoir. Plus the entire kit is like 650 700, its better and cheaper than any TMIC.. I'd go TMIC if you dont want people to know , but then again the scoop is a dead give away. That racer X kit is some good shit! Hands down best bang for your buck.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/racer-x-v-3-fmic-back-fo-05-09-lgt-162970.html

For the EBCS, if your going for more than 19 psi then you need one otherwise stock one should hold up, they go for 90-100 bucks.

http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-90/GrimmSpeed-3-dsh-Port-Electronic-Boost/Detail

I'm not sure where I saw it! But I believe Infamous is doing something with the Walbro 255's. I think its 300 dollars for the entire unit, then when you install it, you get a refund of like 100 dollars for the core. So its a complete unit for 200 dollars. the pump itself is like 100! Found link

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/infamous-performance-m-sprank-walbro-pre-installed-oem-housing-now-145287.html

Where can you get your Fuel Injectors redone for 100 dollars????? Share please:lol: If thats true, I can basically get 840cc injectors and fuel pump for 300 dollars.... Thats F'n incredible. 300 for the infamous pump&housing, 100 dollar refund for the injectors!

Witchhunter does injector modification. Side feed Injectors are $50/injector and top feed are $25/injector. They clean and flow test each injector and send the results back along with the injectors. I bought an extra set of 06 sti side feeds when I did mine for $100 then had them modified for $200. So ergo.. $300 for 848cc side feed injectors. I still have my stock ones I can send out and also have modified to 800+cc and then flow match them. Side feed minimum flow rate from stock is 800cc and top deep minimum flow from stock is 820cc. Avg is normally between 820-850. Just remember to account for the 3%-5% flow variance. Just like most other injectors, including stock..

Archived