LegacyGT.com

Newbie detailing question

I've never applied a sealant and then a wax before, so here's my question:

I'm going to apply Klasse All-in-one sealant glaze to a freshly washed/dried/clayed/polished car.

Do I then apply the wax BEFORE i remove the burnished/dried sealant glaze, or first remove the excess sealant glaze and THEN burnish on a coat of wax?

Joe

You buff off the Klasse before you add any more layers of wax or sealant. BTW- I have always heard that S100 Paste wax is one of the best carnuba waxes to layer over Klasse but there are probably better choices now. If you have a silver or white car I wouldn't bother with a carnuba because you can't really benefit from the depth and wetness like it can give to dark or red colors. Klasse is likened to a polished rock look and that is enough for my silver car.

When my stash of Klasse SG is gone I will be switching to something else as I am tired of how hard it is to apply. The AIO is great but the SG is a pain in the a$$ to deal with even after lots of practice. It lasts for a long time but it is just too difficult to apply.

Check out OCDs detailing thread. I think he has a special way to apply and remove the Klasse which made it easier...

But to answer, just coat the top of the sealant/glaze with the wax!

I'll switch to a different sealant too - but for now, I've got ~16 ounces of SG left - probably 2 more years worth. And it's good stuff. Just elbow grease.

FYI, on waxes I've read the trick is to NOT remove each layer before buffing another coat on. Hence why I asked.

I'll be doing Klasse SG and Griots Best in Show wax on my deep blue Porsche Boxster ('99) and my Galaxy Gray Civic SI ('06). The white subaru will only get SG.

On white, I can't even tell when SG is dried on the surface without wiping it off. And it looks great just with SG. I'll probably do 2 coats though on the Legacy as I really feel 2 coats of SG do last longer. How about that - remove SG before applying a 2nd coat, or simply apply 1 coat of SG, let it dry, then apply a 2nd coat, let it dry, and then remove?

Check out OCDs detailing thread. I think he has a special way to apply and remove the Klasse which made it easier...

But to answer, just coat the top of the sealant/glaze with the wax!

Will do, thank. FYI though, that didn't answer my question. By coat the top do you mean DONT buff off the excess sealant before applying the wax, or DO buff it off first? :)

I would remove the prior coat first and then re-apply for ease of removals sake!

I think OCDs trick was to use a damp applicator for the Klasse and then a damp towel to remove...

The paint needs to be clean before applying anything else. So yes, you need to buff the Klasse off before applying the wax. You need to wait 24 hours before applying the wax anyway, so it really isn't something you should have to deal with. Klasse isn't like a wax or even like a polymer sealant. It is an acrylic sealant and it is much different to apply. Wipe it on thin thin thin and let it sit for at least 45 minutes before buffing it off. Then wait 24 hours before applying anything on top so it can cure.

Also, be sure the SG is the first thing you put on the car. You can't layer it on top of a wax or a glaze. You can put wax on top of it, but nothing goes under it. Klasse SG looks its best after three or four layers, so I'd do that before putting any wax on it. Once you do that then you are done. The wax isn't a required step anyway. SG will protect and shine just fine. Waxing it is just adding a little gloss to it on some colors, but it definitely isn't required. I rarely top sealants with anything these days. They just look fine by themselves.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Do I need to wait 24 hours between coats of SG, or can I layer them 45 minutes apart?

I want to try a coat of griots wax on the Porsche at least - it has super deep color that looks frigging phenomenal when given a glossy/wet look.

Do I need to wait 24 hours between coats of SG, or can I layer them 45 minutes apart?

I want to try a coat of griots wax on the Porsche at least - it has super deep color that looks frigging phenomenal when given a glossy/wet look.

What kind of Griots wax are you using? How does it compare to Meg's NXT?

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

Klasse SG takes 24 hours between coats of anything including SG. That's why I have gone towards the 4 Star and Wolfgang sealants that have polycharger in them. It helps the sealant cure instantly so you can apply additional layers without waiting. SG is one which requires some patience. It is at least 35 year old technology, so it is to be expected. ;)

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Good stuff. Thanks OCD. I hope to do one car this weekend.

Good sealant isn't cheap and I've got plenty left, so I'm willing to put up with the slow curing and higher levels of elbow grease until I use up the Klasse. Then I'm planning on wolfgang based upon your reviews :)

Archived