LegacyGT.com

4th Gen or 5th Gen

Im not trying to start a forum war in here, but i am seriously considering either of these two gens.

My reason that i want a 4th gen.

I like the interior and exterior styling much better, also comes in a wagon which ill be looking for.

Made from 05-09, so used car prices will be up to half the price of a 2011 model.

Seems to be fairly reliable, with no "shimmy" issue.

Me reasons that i like the 5th gen.

Much bigger, roomier, safer. This will be my commmuter/family vehicle.

Comes with a Nav and H/K stereo standard here in canada.

Its new, so i can pick my color, with a 5 year warranty.

So really, any comments, did i miss anything here?

Having owned both. I personally prefer the 4th gen. If you're look for more of a smooth quiet ride, go for the 5th gen. It's huge and definitely has lots of people room. If you want to have a sporty drive go for the 4th gen.

You can make the 5th gen ride a bit better with a RSB, but it's still a big car. I also wanted more carrying capacity for cargo, so the wagon was the best route.

I have had both also. My '05 had stage 2 mods and ran great, but it was smaller than my '11. My '11 is a great car for family trips with lot more room inside. I added Eibach Pro kit springs, 22mm rsb and am running the Cobb ots stage 1 maps. The car runs great now ( much like my '05) and handles much better than my '05, I forget ho big it really is, it doesn't feel like a bigger car. I got mine with GPS which I am happy with. I'd go with the new one.

Fat people are hard to kidnap!!!

I've driven an 08-09 and like it. Much sportier, but it felt tight interior wise. Two years later, I ordered my 2011 and really like the larger presence exterior wise and for the larger interior. The larger interior helps when we have elderly people in the back seat.

They have somewhere to put their walking canes ;). This is true BTW.

2011 Volvo S60T6 & 2013 Volvo XC60T6 Polestar

another "recommend the car I currently drive b/c it's awesommeeeeee" thread huh?

if the forum has to sway your opinion, sit down and rank the top 5 attributes your new car has to have i.e.: cost, reliability, wagon, sedan, manual, auto, performance, aftermarket, interior space, styling, etc

...otherwise everyone just recommends the car they currently drive.

Depends on what the local market for used Subaru's looks like. In Northern CA, I'd definitely recommend going new, because the used Subaru's are very expensive. Especially, now with the overall used car market being up.

If you're planning on getting a loan, interest rates are significantly lower for new cars. Given the high price of used Subarus, I would definitely recommend new if you're planning on getting a loan.

I have driven the 5th gen and I currently owned the 4th gen. I really like the interior of the 5th gen, it feels more comfortable and looks better. However, I prefer the styling of the 4th gen. I am kinda on the fence here.

I guess this review doesn't help much huh? :lol:

The shimmy/shake appears to be isolated to a small number of 2010's. Very few, have I seen, of the 2011's have the shimmy. If you do buy a car that has a shimmy and it's new be sure to document every piece of the troubleshooting process and keep SoA involved.

The electronic e-brake takes a little getting used to. It works well, but it comes down to personal preference. I had no issues with it, just push and pull a button on your dash to engage/release. Oh, if you have the car in reverse with the e-brake engaged and apply some throttle it will automatically release.

to me, the 5th gen is not the same kind of car the 4th gen was. the 5th gen is meant to be more of a family sedan/camry/accord fighter. a better comparison would be the 4th gen LGT or a new wrx.

If you want a family car though, the 5th gen is a better choice just based on the room alone.

if you want a sleek understated "tuner" car, the 4th gen is a better choice.

Archived