LegacyGT.com

Crawdaddy79's dash cam collection of NOVA's bad drivers.

Crawdaddy79

When you mix inattentive NoVa drivers with hyper-aggressive Maryland drivers things get ugly.

If you take requests, I would suggest making a few passes taking Rt. 1 north onto the beltway. The best is to take 495 toward Richmond and see how many people stop nearly dead in front of you trying to get to the front of the Maryland-bound line.

Don't have much experience with that one, but I did for the first time about four days ago. It was pretty messy, but all the action was behind my car.

Another good one is to take Loisdale in Springfield, going north, the three left lanes go to different directions each, and invariably cars in the left lane want to be in the right lane, and vice versa, but they don't realize it until after they've already turned, (and turning around after going in each direction would be a major pain in the ass) so you see some incredible antics as cars weave in and out of each other, over dirt, around road signs as the lanes split off.

I used to work out of Springfield on a daily basis and bought a dash cam specifically to record that intersection. Unfortunately the thing was a total piece of crap so it only recorded things half the time. Now I hardly ever go to Springfield, but I'm tempted to go there just to get footage (does that make me creepy?).

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I've gotta look into the dashcam setup you have. I'd love to put together a setup. It'd be really useful on my commute.

I don't recommend my mount. I use a Sunpak Click 'n Stick. In the heat, the flexible aluminum becomes very... flexible and the camera bounces pretty bad. Also with the Kodak ZX5, it can't be left on the dashboard in the sun because it gets too hot to record anything, so you have to remove it from the mount and put it somewhere (I put it in the cubby above the stereo, and that seems to be enough) every time you park the car for more than 10 minutes.

I plan on ordering from http://www.ram-mount.com/ some combination of a suction cup mount that works better, but I need to be in town long enough to get the package.

Isn't it a pita to not have a permanent setup?
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Don't have much experience with that one, but I did for the first time about four days ago. It was pretty messy, but all the action was behind my car.

Another good one is to take Loisdale in Springfield, going north, the three left lanes go to different directions each, and invariably cars in the left lane want to be in the right lane, and vice versa, but they don't realize it until after they've already turned, (and turning around after going in each direction would be a major pain in the ass) so you see some incredible antics as cars weave in and out of each other, over dirt, around road signs as the lanes split off.

I used to work out of Springfield on a daily basis and bought a dash cam specifically to record that intersection. Unfortunately the thing was a total piece of crap so it only recorded things half the time. Now I hardly ever go to Springfield, but I'm tempted to go there just to get footage (does that make me creepy?).

Yes. Yes it does make you creepy. But we're a creepy lot in general so no one really notices.

I drive a lot for work and it really pained me to not see anything out of the ordinary happening in either of the videos. I also used to be a claims adjuster for an insurance company - all the pieces start falling into place when get out and drive around when there isn't utter gridlock. People just have no clue about what's going on.

Of course, I am a perfect driver and never do anything bone headed.

Isn't it a pita to not have a permanent setup?

Compared to taking the videos, cutting them up, then arranging them into clips that time reasonably well to music, dealing with Sony Vegas Home Studio crashes during rendering after project files get corrupted (and they will), forcing you to start over after dicking around with different rendering methods for almost a day... No, it's not a PITA at all to have the temporary setup. :lol:

It adds about 10 seconds to my startup routine, and I don't think it's a big deal. To be fair, I originally thought it would get on my nerves after a couple of days, but it doesn't bother me at all.

• 5 weeks later...
It's strange to me how entire areas can develop a driving culture. Around New Orleans, no one uses their blinker either. Not even for turns, much less changing lanes. Another thing about that area, is people love cruising in the left lane. If you get on their tail, they don't move. After you pass them on the right, they get over. In Maryland, they speed up as you try to pass them on the right. In NOVA, they'll suddenly realize they need to take the upcoming exit, and cut your ass off in a bad way if you try to pass them on the right. I need to do more mid-morning beltway driving to get some captures of that.

I've heard about the CA issue with ZERO people using blinkers. Only driven there once. I do like the traffic light on/off ramps they have (on rapid cycles), and the fully centralized traffic light system. DC area has no such thing.

Someone nailed it right. VA are bad drivers, MD are agressive. Well unless it is someone in a G35....they are both and top coqs in this area...with Audi drivers as runner up.

Crawdaddy...man, I should have some of my video uploaded on your channel (I use to have a whole website (baddrivervideo.com) with them...best was the crazy lady on 270. Only kinda bad...but women was having a full on rage fest inside her car.

BTW...if anyone wants a custom camera mount made...I make them all the time. Although you can also buy them pretty easily.

I do like the traffic light on/off ramps they have (on rapid cycles), and the fully centralized traffic light system. DC area has no such thing.
That's not really true. There's several spots on I-395 and I-66 that have them. They don't work at all. The worst one is at the Duke St. ramp by the Landmark Mall. Trucks get on there to go North on 395 all the time. Can never get enough speed to merge in the short distance to the minimal merging area, and have to force their way into 50 MPH traffic at 30 MPH.

Crawdaddy...man, I should have some of my video uploaded on your channel (I use to have a whole website (baddrivervideo.com) with them...best was the crazy lady on 270. Only kinda bad...but women was having a full on rage fest inside her car.
It's one-of-a-kind incidents like that happening (well, all the time) that made me obsess about needing to record it, until finally I went out and bought my ghetto setup. The final straw was a time where there were two lanes to exit to the right (more specifically, the I-295 exit after the Woodrow Wilson bridge, on the outer loop), and a lady was in the middle lane (also an exit lane) going about 45 in a 55. I was passing her on the right - she turned on her right blinker but I was going too fast to slow down for her; plus there was no reason to. So she cut my ass off. Three seconds later, we're exiting and I'm safely shifting into the left exit lane... and accelerating because that's what I do when I pass people. She cuts me off again. I'm convinced she did the shit on purpose both times. I really wished I had that on camera and less than a month later I had a dash cam.

BTW...if anyone wants a custom camera mount made...I make them all the time. Although you can also buy them pretty easily.

I'm having issues with mine - I replaced it with a RAM mount but it vibrates too much unless I put it on my windshield. This solution sucks for lots of reasons; I'd really need a solid, stable surface on my dashboard to mount the suction cup to. The upside-down windshield camera position doesn't cut it.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks!

By the way, re: my previous post, my camera vibration issues are solved. Turns out the lens was loose and rattling around. The dig. image stabilization couldn't figure out what was going on, and as a result the video looked horrible. Tightened the lens down, and now can put the camera back in its original position.

I love watching these....hilarious. But you sir seem to be driving WAY too fast :lol: The increased speed of the video linda makes it funnier :)

I'm actually really surprised at how many turn signals I saw in these....lol.

And about 99.98989898% of motorcyclists drive like that daily here. I think they are the worst. Gives the ones who are careful and pay attenion a bad name imo. When I hear the whole "Becareful of motorcycles" speech actually make me laugh and say yea right.

I got into a sort of altercation with one on Friday... Driving a Harley-type. My windows were down, and he sounded close. I wanted to change lanes... checked my mirror, even craned my head and I didn't see him. Looked forward to begin to change lanes, checked my mirror again, and there he was.

I started to move back over before he honked, and he drove by me saying "That's fucked up, asshole!". The light ahead turned red, and sure enough we were next to each other. I told him I looked for him, but didn't see him and he said "Oh yeah that'll go over real well in the emergency room!". I asked him what the hell happened but he just sat there ignoring me.

Best I can figure is he was riding my bumper on the driver's side... my side mirror faces outwards, and my rear mirror faces slightly to the right. When the lane slowed down he changed lanes about half a second before I did.

Watching the footage over and over that's the only thing I can figure happened.

• 3 weeks later...

Episode 4 is up.

Music is softer than the music in the last three. Also used a different renderer (m2ts) in Sony Vegas 11's Trial. I liked it so much, that I bought the upgrade (just waiting on the delivery now to start on Episode 5).

Enjoy!

Thanks for watching, guys.

If there's any suggestions, I'm all ears.

In an OTish note, there seems to be a dry spell of cars on the road doing stupid shit. Been driving all over the place and I haven't captured anything worth saving in five days.

• Mega Users

No shortage in Richmond. On my way home from class today a big older Ford SUV lazily changed into the left lane for no apparent reason on a 65mph highway. I was in the left lane quickly approaching said meat head, so I dipped into the right lane, passed him, then transferred back to my original trajectory. Well apparently he got all butt hurt because he floors the damn thing and nearly ends up in my back seat...scared the crap out of me too. I just don't know what people are thinking these days. Oh, and on the way to class I was almost broad sided by some broad (drifing in her lane) When I eventually passed her, I glanced over and she was staring straight down at her lap. Terrifying, just terrifying.

Nice videos btw. We need as many actual seeing, looking, with brains behind them eyeballs out there as we can.

http://cdn.madamenoire.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/black-power-fist-378x414.jpg

Archived