LegacyGT.com

Spec Stg III clutch still not broken-in after 700+ miles?

PutnamCO

I had to remove my newly installed Spec Stage III clutch (the thread of which is http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/over-revved-today-and-now-have-tapping-sound-165670.html?p=3467811#post3467811) and I noticed that the clutch does not seem nearly broken-in.

After 700+ miles of very easy break-in, there is still more than 50% (the inner section) of the clutch surface that is untouched.

Since most people probably do not remove their newly installed clutches to check the wear, I was wondering if this could be considered normal break-in, or whether I should continue babying it.

IMO stop babying it. It's a high performance clutch. Give the car about 3000-3500 let the clutch out just until it almost grabs, like you've lite the second staging light, and your waiting for the first yellow light. Keep the revs up and clutch slipping. yellow yellow green. dump the clutch and plant your right foot, the car should launch forward and plant you in the back seat.

My Spec 2+ loves that.

Oh BTW you should never see the green. If you wait for the green light, you loose, leave just before the last yellow goes out.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Archived