LegacyGT.com

205/45/17

I came across a free set of 205/45/17" tires. They are only about a week old...they still have the little fringies on them. They were on a car I bought...I was just wondering if I would run into any problems running that size? I'd love to save $600 on tires and I know stock is 215/45/17.

They will have a little more side wall than stock. Which isn't a bad thing. More comfortable. Scoop them up!!

Actually, wouldn't the opposite be true? Less sidewall & skinnier tire? Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, 205(versus the stock 215) is the width of the tread in MM, and the 40(versus 45) is the percentage of width(205) that the tire is tall?

You should be ok, but the ride would be harsher, and you're more likely to eat up a rim on a bad enough pothole, as there is less sidewall to absorb the impact. (unless you don't have potholes to worry about.) Speedo shouldn't be off but at most a few MPH. And if you have a gps or smart phone you can check the variance that way.

I just put this in my awesome 'tire size calculator' app on my phone.

The new tires will have a diameter of 616mm, vs. the ones currently on the car at 624mm

When your speedometer reads 60mph, you will actually be traveling at 59.4mph.

You'll be fine with the new tires.

Actually, wouldn't the opposite be true? Less sidewall & skinnier tire? Because, and correct me if I'm wrong, 205(versus the stock 215) is the width of the tread in MM, and the 40(versus 45) is the percentage of width(205) that the tire is tall?

You should be ok, but the ride would be harsher, and you're more likely to eat up a rim on a bad enough pothole, as there is less sidewall to absorb the impact. (unless you don't have potholes to worry about.) Speedo shouldn't be off but at most a few MPH. And if you have a gps or smart phone you can check the variance that way.

Yes you are right. I just woke up and apparently was on crack at the time.

The side wall in 205-45-17 will be thinner than the oem 215-45-17.

205-50-17 will have a similar side wall to 215-45-17. But not a crazy amount. Keep the tires firm and you may not notice a difference. Plus it depends on the tire brand itself. Some are softer than others.

I bought a set of 215-40-17 all seasons for my oem wheels and the side walls are really thin but the deal was too good to pass up too.

Archived