LegacyGT.com

Can I borrow a spec B rear axle?

Or, where can I find one cheap? It doesn't need to be in good shape.

I just want to send one to DriveShaftShop so that they can make a stronger version. They'll build axles from measurements alone, but in light of the oddball nature of the spec B axle (R180-to-5x100), and the fact that they told me they haven't done anything for the Legacy yet, I'd rather send them an example, just to be certain that there's no confusion.

Anybody know of a junkyard with a spec B hulk that might still have a rear axle?

Thanks!

Do a google search for what your looking for, you should find a few links to junk yards. Have you tryed buying a axle from a auto parts store. The GT's are like $80.00 or less.

I guess your looking to make big HP. Frank, Liegh and the guy's at DDS are great people. They have done a lot for the 1000+HP Honda guy's.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

has anyone ever broken any axles repeatably with high hp i find it a little hard to believe since the torque is divided by 4

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

I know someone on the boards who broke two rear GT axles at the same time on stg 2 power.

yes i'm sure its possible to break axels.. but repeatably ? i'm sure if he replace with new stock it would of been fine.

but a crazy ceramic clutch and slicks. that could do it regardless of power level.

but i think a flow out restriction on the cluch salve to slightly slow clutch engagement would probably double axel life and hp limits.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Google searching wasn't fruitful... The closest thing I found was this site saying that they know which part I want but they don't have any...

http://www.automotix.net/usedautoparts/2007-subaru-legacy-axle_shaft-inventory.html?fit_notes=08218b0f517036c99463d04d7d7d0c83&seq_num=11

When Subaru designed the axles, they knew there would be four of them, so they were probably designed to hold half the torque of a FWD/RWD car's axles... It's not all that rare to blow Subaru axles while drag racing. I figure I'm probably safe with a 3076 on 92 octane, but I'd like to really be sure. And maybe try race gas or E85 some day. :)

I talked with a guy who drag races an Impreza with an ATP 3071 on E85 and he's broken axles on 3-4 occasions. If I remember right, his last trip to the strip cost him two rears and a front. He's planning to just upgrade the rears, on the theory that if the rears hold up, the fronts won't fail. Seems like a good plan to me.

Make sure you run Hoosier slicks, they are no where near as sticky as MT's.

Will you be using a multi stage boost controller ?

Launch at just enough to get the car moving then meter in boost.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Make sure you run Hoosier slicks, they are no where near as sticky as MT's.

Will you be using a multi stage boost controller ?

Launch at just enough to get the car moving then meter in boost.

MTs? :confused:

I'm using the stock ECU for boost control, plus an MBC to help a little with spoolup and to limit over-boosting. Or you could look at it as an MBC to define the boost level, and an EBC to fix the PTFB driveability issue.

For a launch, I just hold RPM steady at 4000 to 4500 (no LC) and then simultaneously stomp the throttle and release the clutch.

With DCCD off, the center diff is basically just an open diff, and that plus the 35/65 torque split means that I spin the rear wheels quite a bit. I'd like to think that the wheelspin will keep me from breaking axles, but I'm not entirely confident... hence the desire to upgrade.

Even with the wheelspin, my 60' times are mostly in the 1.7-1.8 range, and I'm satisfied with that.

I got a 1.38 once, which kinda blew my mind because I didn't think my car had enough power to even get into the 1.6X range. I suspect that the 1.38 was from the run where I released the clutch a little bit late and was touching the rev limiter when it grabbed. And nothing broke, so if I can stay off the rev limiter, the axles I have now might last me a while. :)

MT's are Mickey Thomsons, They hook up nice.

You can also play with tire pressure to help your 60ft's. You can also rotate them every few passes. If you want to get that serious.

Sounds like the thought of keeping the tires spinning is better then hooking and breaking something. After all your not running to points.

• 2 years later...

Archived