LegacyGT.com

The "2.5 WapWapWapWap" sound.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 05 LGT don't make that sound you talking about, from new to 73k with the 5MT or 73k to over 168k with the STi 6MT. Please make vid. so we can hear what you hear. Them we mite have better luck helping you out.

Wait a minute, the only time it made a similar sound was when front wheel bearings went bad. I'm on my 3rd set up front. I know that sound well:mad:

Mike

Mileage:331487 Retired/Sold

My 05 LGT don't make that sound you talking about, from new to 73k with the 5MT or 73k to over 168k with the STi 6MT. Please make vid. so we can hear what you hear. Them we mite have better luck helping you out.

Wait a minute, the only time it made a similar sound was when front wheel bearings went bad. I'm on my 3rd set up front. I know that sound well:mad:

Mike

mmmmmm, going to have to have that checked.

Well, I have an appointment with the dealer on Wednesday. My cat is making all kinds of noise (and that is warranty work) so I will have them check the wheel bearings while I am there.

I got the 6 year warranty when I bought it so this will be no money out of pocket.

I will update you guys since I know you are all curious. :)

ROFLCOPTER?

I'm just used to odd sounds my car makes...it's a Subaru. If it doesn't make one of the random dozen sounds it makes, I get worried.

:lol: That's what I tell people all the time in my car. If you own a Subaru you should be used to the following list of noises, including, but not limited to: clunks, chings, womps womps, whim wams, bonks, donks, dinks, rattles, chimes, roaring, howling, the occasional bang and even a DOING from the front end.

I think he's talking about the normal boxer engine sound....video taken from idrivslo's thread:

http://youtu.be/kniQ7agYfsA

He wants to know if he can quiet the ticking down

Crosspipe tick, 99% sure of it. OP, don't ever buy a high flow version if that noise annoys you. Listen closely just under/behind the center portion of the front bumper, in front of the oil pan, and you'll REALLY hear it.

Will try to take a vid of mine when I get home for comparison.

I have had 3 subies before my 08 legacy 2.5i. A 2.2L, swapped in an ej20g. An rs with a 2.5 sohc. A 97 legacy 2.5gt with the 2.5 dohc. All had weird noises and clunks, esp the wind noise at high speeds from the frameless windows. But the boxer sound is much less apparent in my 08 because the 08 N/a legacies have EL headers. What I have noticed is more of a ticking sound from the manifold or cat, whatever it is underneath. My assumption is its from the pzev stuff.

And just recently, from the passenger side, a clicking sound has started. It sounds like something plastic-y hitting something and its vibrating. I've checked my intake and everything seems secure. I have yet to get the dealer to look at it.

My rs had to have the valves adjusted after I got my headgaskets done and its a totally different noise. After the headgaskets were done, the ticking started a couple hundred miles after and I took it back and they had to adjust something. Before the valve adjustment, it was all the time, like a ticking.

We will have to wait for a video or to see "what the dealer says" unless they respond with "its what makes a subaru, a subaru" :)

my 2.5 n/a has the ticking sound also but really not worried about it. turn up the radio !

you should do the 3.8 swap ultra smooth idle that you can rest a glass of water on the engine !

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Well, got it back from the dealer today. The rattling sound is the heat shield, easy fix.

The sound I was talking about is a problem with the cheap tires I got, the said I should take them back to Pep Boys and ask for a whole set of new tires. The alignment is fine as is the suspension and the wheel bearings are fine as well.

Archived