LegacyGT.com

STS Cobb V Kartboy

Schrei Wolf

Which STS?  

13 members have voted

1. 1. Which STS?

Mode is not a knock off. They made them for Cobb. When Cobb stopped buying and selling under the Cobb name, Mode made an improvement to teh design and continued selling them.

I have been running a Mode DA shifter in my SpecB for 2 years now. Love it. No issues. Previous issues with Cobb design are gone as Mode made it even stronger when they decided to sell it as their own product.

If you want adjustment. Get a Mode.

Note: I dont even sell the Mode, I sell the KB.

Any plans on selling the Mode?

All i did was install the KB STS without any bushings and i really like it, my stock shifter didn't really move at all. With my STS i may have a half of centimeter of play, does not move at all. Now that i have been driving a few days it is like a different car i love driving it, i loved it before but now i am waiting for my next ride. I don't think i will do the bushings, i was gonna install them but i don't see a reason. One of my best mods, i would tell everyone to do this mod first!!!!

• 2 weeks later...

when shifting from 1st to 2nd, i hear a slight click/pop noise. it seems as though the shifter is not seated all the way down, and when i shift the shifter "hits" the bottom and causes this noise. when installing the KB, I did use the retaining ring and it snapped in place.

thoughts?

Just saw this post. I've had a Cobb Double adjustable SS in there for nearly 60k miles now. I had alot of initial installation problems which required me to fiddle with it for quite some time, and only 2 problems since. Here's a basic rundown:

1. I got all sorts of jamming up of the rubber boot and foam materials under the vinyl shift boot. I swore it was aligned right, but there it is. I wound up cutting alot of it away to allow for alot more "scrunched" short shifter height wise and the jamming went away. Got more noise as a result though since alot of sound insulation was good too.

2. Finding the right level of height & throw took me awhile. It would become too difficult to shift, too notchy, or it wouldn't "feel" like it was in gear at times. I didn't want syncro issues down the road, so I adjusted it till it went away. Now it's maybe 1-2" shorter than stock but alot short throws. Feels nice to shift. A new shift knob would go a long way as well in just a good feel when you grab the shifter.

3. I had a squeaky bushing that I had to grease a good amount before it went away. Just required me to remove the shifter again at one point.

4. The pivot bolt for me was extremely touchy on tightness. Too tight and shifting would be a pain. Too loose and it'd start rattling and wobbling.

The 2 problems I had since the install issues got resolved (I literally drove around with the tools needed to uninstall it in the car until I got the install feeling right)...

1. The set screw for height decided to let go. My shifter started to slide all the way down. I started to notice this when it started to feel like when I shifted into 2nd there wasn't actually anything there. Felt like the shifter moved into open space.

All the sudden, I couldn't get one side of the gears (can't remember if it was 1st and 3rd or 2nd and 4th). I babied it home, opened her up, and reset the screw and it hasn't happened since (that was over 30k miles ago).

2. Occasionally, there's a rattle down there. No idea what it is. Shifter feels fine. I ignore it.

Last note is that I really didn't like the leggy's shift feel. I changed fluids and it improved a lot. Extra-S or AMSOIL Severe Gear 75w110 worked for me.

I've basically done 2 mods to my legacy. Both have caused me more headaches than they were worth. The short shifter was one - if I had to do it again, I either would've ordered a factory short shifter and gotten an aftermarket knob to reduce the height, or I wouldn't gone with a kartboy and knob. The adjustability of the Cobb is nice - but it's only useful to you on the first week. Once I got it dialed in, the shifting feels great and has never been an issue since then.

Joe

P.s. The second mod I did was cobb swaybars. Great change in feel. But at 65kmiles or so, my endlinks are shot and the bushings are worn out. Switching to kartboy endlinks and energy suspension bushings and hoping my ride is silent and solid. Luckily, it's my wife's car. :)

I too have the bushings but chose not to install them. (im running a KB STS and Cobb knob just like you and also love it)

All i did was install the KB STS without any bushings and i really like it, my stock shifter didn't really move at all. With my STS i may have a half of centimeter of play, does not move at all. Now that i have been driving a few days it is like a different car i love driving it, i loved it before but now i am waiting for my next ride. I don't think i will do the bushings, i was gonna install them but i don't see a reason. One of my best mods, i would tell everyone to do this mod first!!!!

Mode is Cobb. Mode made them for Cobb. Once Cobb discontinued them, Mode was free to improve and sell under their own name. They made some slight changes to the bracketing and sell them manufacturer direct now. Mode Racing. It is where I got mine.

From the Mode Racing web site.

"Unfortunately these shifters are no longer available through MODE Racing. Please contact Rallysport Direct for their remaining inventory or COBB Tuning for availability. The shifters will be back, but as a COBB Tuning part. Thank you for your support."

Ha ha. I guess they were so popular as a Mode part that Cobb is going back into production. Mode never sold them when they made them for Cobb. No-competition clause I am sure.

I guess that means Rallysport might have a few. Then it is wait until Cobb delivers some to vendors.

• 2 weeks later...
Mode is not a knock off. They made them for Cobb. When Cobb stopped buying and selling under the Cobb name, Mode made an improvement to teh design and continued selling them.

I have been running a Mode DA shifter in my SpecB for 2 years now. Love it. No issues. Previous issues with Cobb design are gone as Mode made it even stronger when they decided to sell it as their own product.

If you want adjustment. Get a Mode.

Note: I dont even sell the Mode, I sell the KB.

So i just checked the MODE site since I'm also looking at getting this exact one and they don't sell them any more... their site say check with Rallysportdirecet. So i checked with them and they just sold the last one...!!!:mad: The good news is COBB is going to start making them again but there is no known time frame of when they will be coming back....!

Archived