LegacyGT.com

high engine temps overheating

My 98 legacy 2.5l has almost overheated twice the past couple days. I dont understand. I ran it with the a/c on all day friday it was a hot day. Then I took it for a 10 minute ride and the temp guage almost pinned. I changed themostat and coolant today and let it reach temp while idleing. Fans kicked on. Took it for a spin temp skyrocketed again. I did timing belt and gears pullys at 110,000 except water pump. Know it has almost 160,000. Possible bad water pump?

let the car cool down and then open the radiator cap and turn the car on and let it run . if you see any bubbles then you have a bad headgasket . if not

you may have air in the system , drain it , fill it up , turn you heater to max . let it run for 10 minutes . then let it cool down . check the level , do it again and again untill the level stays the same

timing has nothing to do with heating and a/c

• I Donated
let the car cool down and then open the radiator cap and turn the car on and let it run . if you see any bubbles then you have a bad headgasket . if not

you may have air in the system , drain it , fill it up , turn you heater to max . let it run for 10 minutes . then let it cool down . check the level , do it again and again untill the level stays the same

This has to be the most half *** way to check a bad head gasket I have ever heard in my life.

PLEASE do not follow this advise.

Head gaskets can blow in several different ways, exhibiting different symptoms for each type of "blow".

you can buy testers (they are cheap) to see if there are HCs in your coolant. This is one way to tell. Another way is by a compression test...looking for "milky" oil, etc....Watching for air bubbles as a definite diagnostics is a joke.

Not trying to be a jerk....

timing has nothing to do with heating and a/c

No it doesn't, but its best to replace timing components when you remove them...especially since they are usually due to be done anyways when head gaskets blow

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

This has to be the most half *** way to check a bad head gasket I have ever heard in my life.

PLEASE do not follow this advise.

Head gaskets can blow in several different ways, exhibiting different symptoms for each type of "blow".

you can buy testers (they are cheap) to see if there are HCs in your coolant. This is one way to tell. Another way is by a compression test...looking for "milky" oil, etc....Watching for air bubbles as a definite diagnostics is a joke.

Ok Mister...First of all, you are right. This is a cheap and easy way to check for a bad head gasket; however, people on here don't want to go and buy a cheap tool. Cheap tools =cheap results!!!!!!! If you want a good diagnosis, invest in proper tools. Most people don't want to go out and invest in these kinds of specialized tools, unless they have a lot of money or are already working in the field. . The concern here is an overheating problem, and not coolant mixing with oil or any other substance. A compression test is only going to indicate a low cylinder...lack of power is not the problem. A cylinder leakage test would be the appropriate tool for this. But you also need a good background in diagnostics to execute this properly. But again, you need a quality compressor, quality hoses, and a quiet testing environment to do this properly. Your advice is steering the symptom in one direction, when the problem lies in a completely different direction. Once again, you can buy all of those tools and find out the cylinder head is cracked or you have a bad head gasket. Following my way, you are not throwing out a ton of money to find out you were following the wrong lead. I am an ASE certified mechanic who has been working at Subaru dealerships for over twenty years. My colleagues follow the same procedures with dead on results.

Well I ripped the motor apart and am anxiously waiting for all new parts to come in the mail. I am replacing the timing belt again for the hell of it even though I did it 30k ago. I dont want to open up this engine again. Head gaskets, valve cover gaskets cam seals water pump intake gaskets. I think that was everything I ordered. The car has 160k on it so hopefully with this I can get one more year out of it and move on to the wrx.

• I Donated
Ok Mister...First of all, you are right. This is a cheap and easy way to check for a bad head gasket; however, people on here don't want to go and buy a cheap tool. Cheap tools =cheap results!!!!!!! If you want a good diagnosis, invest in proper tools. Most people don't want to go out and invest in these kinds of specialized tools, unless they have a lot of money or are already working in the field. . The concern here is an overheating problem, and not coolant mixing with oil or any other substance. A compression test is only going to indicate a low cylinder...lack of power is not the problem. A cylinder leakage test would be the appropriate tool for this. But you also need a good background in diagnostics to execute this properly. But again, you need a quality compressor, quality hoses, and a quiet testing environment to do this properly. Your advice is steering the symptom in one direction, when the problem lies in a completely different direction. Once again, you can buy all of those tools and find out the cylinder head is cracked or you have a bad head gasket. Following my way, you are not throwing out a ton of money to find out you were following the wrong lead. I am an ASE certified mechanic who has been working at Subaru dealerships for over twenty years. My colleagues follow the same procedures with dead on results.

I've come across several Subaru HGs that were blown that didn't bubble up the coolant. Its not a sure fire way to find out if you're having HG problems...Thats the point I'm trying to make. The gasked very well may be blown and the OP can do your check and it "pass" and he still believes his gasket isn't blown when it really could be.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Archived