LegacyGT.com

Car shaking badly on freeway

Nah, you'd know it by the time you got up to 60mph if you had a stuck caliper. Your wheel would be incredibly hot and the brakes would probably be smoking, you'd have a nasty stench by that point. You'd also have noise and the car would be pulling towards that side.

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • I Donated

Doesn't matter if the hub is brand new. If the shop just zipped on the lugs with an impact, then they very well could have over torqued them and warped your brand new hub

Did they use these?

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/OBJECTS/56300/56269.JPG

They are called torque sticks. They limit the amount of torque applied from an impact. The darker blue one should have been used on your car

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

"I have no shaking in the wheel when braking. It just gets a little squirly when I brake hard."

You lost me......?

As in I don't have a "warped" rotor. I know what that feels like. The whole car it self gets squirly. Not the wheel when braking. The only reason I said anything about the braking is because I thought it was an alignment issue or could be. But I ruled that out.

• I Donated

You're probably just going to have to start throwing parts at it.

Worn out bushings can be the cause of your squirly feeling under hard braking....that puts a lot of stress on all the bushings and can change your alignment angles during braking

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

• I Donated

Your driveshaft could be out of balance? I know some of them have weights stuck on them....I don't remember if Subarus do or not.

You might be best just paying the dealer the $130 to properly diagnose it. If you were local, I could do it for you....but yeah, there is a distance of about 2k miles between us lol

EDIT :

I don't know HOW the hell I have missed the obvious...especially after postings this....

Check your u-joints. Check the center bearing carrier (don't know the name of it) in the drive shaft as well.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

I don't feel anything in the seat of my pants though. I am just as lost as you guys it seems. I am going to find a brake shop to have them check everything there. Then going to have a tire shop properly test my rims for lateral run-off and the like.

I think I'm with the other dude, I'd skip the independent shops and go to a good Subaru shop (dealership or performance, either way) and see if they can't just straight up diagnose for you.

Gotta be a decent aftermarket Subaru shop in the Portland area, right?

I have thrown over 400 into this car in the past 3 weeks. I am about tapped out with the car. It's almost time just to part it out and move on.

I can't keep throwing anymore money into it. Diagnoses are...well...ass raping.

So John I have to drop the exhaust to look at the driveshaft don't I ?

Update:

Just tried another set of rims/tires that are good and tires have worn evenly. The vibration is still there. So it is for sure not a rim/tire problem. My axles have a little bit of up and down play maybe 1/4 of an inch.

Both tires are SOLID no play in them. Tie Rods are SOLID. Ball joints don't have any play from what I can tell.

What are the chances that the wheel bearing (that I just replaced) is fubar?

I need this resolved. ASAP.

This all started after I replaced the wheel bearing. I had to get a new hub but I got a Napa hub not OEM. Could the weights of the hubs make a difference (if there is even a weight difference)?

I got a Koyo Wheel bearing. When I pulled it out of the box it took a little more effort to spin then the OEM bearing. I thought this may have been due to the grease not working it self all the way in yet and when it got on the car it would loosen up.

Maybe they gave you parts for a 2010. Subaru designed the 2010 legacy and outback to give you a hand massage while you drive. (There's a whole LONG thread about it) its weird that you describe the same proglem in your older one.

I just drove my new subi today after letting it sit for a week and I have the same shake as you, I was like WTF. I have yet to take a look at it, but I plan to tomorrow after work. Take the hub and bearing back and say they are bad and buy OEM hub assembly, they are $140 I think and the bearing comes installed.

Edit: subarugenuineparts.com has them for 120.74 shipped

flat-spotted tires (from sitting), or loose lug(s). Run them for a week (after you check the lugs) and do some left-right maneuvers to get them warmed-up, if it's flat-spots, the shimmying should go away.
- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

They can and they do. How many miles have you put on them since you've had it parked for a couple weeks (and) how old are the tires?

Tires are maybe 8 months old. I have put almost 160 miles on the car since I got the axle seal fixed on saturday.

I should say the car wasn't fully parked during the 3 weeks the axle seal was pissing all over the place. I drove it maybe 2 times each week to the store.

Stock rims? If not, are the rims Subaru hub-centric? If not hub-centric, are you running the correct centering rings for the that particular rim?

Also, is it possible you just lost a wheel weight.

And, FWIW, I have had alignment issues give me a bad shake due to toe being way off side-to-side/front-to-rear. Try to get it as close to 0* toe front and rear.

• I Donated

So John I have to drop the exhaust to look at the driveshaft don't I ?

yeah but its really easy. it can be done with hand tools in 15 minutes as one whole piece

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Could a driveshaft cause vibration at freeway speeds? I think it would do it at all speeds.

I took it into a shop to have it diagnosed. They found NOTHING wrong. Then I took it to the dealer. And the same thing

• I Donated

A driveshaft can cause it to vibrate at freeway speeds only....low speeds only....or even all speeds

Have you popped in the FWD fuse to see if it still shakes? That would eliminate any kind of center diff / rear diff problems.

If I were able to put my hands on your car, I could figure out whats going on with it...but diagnosing from 2k miles away is kind of difficult lol.

-broknindarkagain

COME AND TAKE IT

Well I re-greased both my calipers (again). The slider pins, the parts where brake pads sit (the brackets) and the outter ring of the pistons. The vibration has STOPPED! But now my driver side feels like its running hotter then the passenger side? This never happened before and my brakes squeak on braking.

So now I gotta fix that. It's never ending.

Archived