LegacyGT.com

2013 STI Concept **MotorTrend Update Pg.4

W1CKED

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I doubt it's gonna happen. In my past 18 years of reading all sorts of car magazines and sites, I dont sit up for any sort of photoshopping/editing stuff, especially from magazines. They want to sell their magazine so they have to show something controversial. Those who hate it will want to read it, and those who love it also..either way they are looking for readers. Those 2 groups will most likely jump all over it.

• 2 weeks later...

I've said it on USMB and I'll say it again...in fact, I'll copy and paste it:

I've been here through 2 Legacy's, 3 Imprezas, 3 Foresters, and the initial release of and subsequent redesign of the Tribeca and I have NEVER heard anyone say something positive about a new design. It always goes something like:

Concepts and spy photos of model ABC are released...

• "Ew, what were they thinking? Why don't they listen to us? They should bring back the 360...no, the SVX...no, the GL! w00t!"
    • +1
    • +1
    • +1...etc

The car gets released as the new model...

• "That doesn't look anything like the concept drawing...what happened to the aggressive rally look??"
  • "I went and checked one out at the dealership. Guess what?? IT'S EVEN UGLIER IN PERSON!!1!"

Time passes...

• "You know...it wouldn't be nearly as bad if they put some reflectors on the rear bumper so it makes the butt look smaller."
    • "That's what SHE said! LOLZ"

[*]"I saw one on the street today while driving up a closed access road just outside of Portland. I think they're starting to grow on me."

10 years later, two new designs have been released...

• "Ew, what were they thinking? Why don't they listen to us? They should bring back the 360...no, the SVX...no, the ABC from 10 years ago! w00t!"
    • +1
    • +1
    • +1

Having said that...the rear end is off the wall. It needs some reflectors.

**MotorTrend UPDATE**

http://www.roadandtrack.com/var/ezflow_site/storage_RT_NEW/storage/images/media/images/ampersand_2012_subaru_wrx_sti_span/2530628-1-eng-US/ampersand_2012_subaru_wrx_sti_span.jpg

While we’ve seen the all-new Subaru Impreza earlier this year, we have yet to hear much about the ultimate high-performance version of the car, the WRX STI. Subaru has been very secretive about the car, not allowing any information to get out to the media, but our colleagues in Japan were able to uncover some important details.

The STI’s launch is still about a year away—we hear that it’s scheduled to reach dealer showrooms in the summer of 2012. The car will first appear as a 5-door hatchback, with perhaps a sedan version to follow. It seems that Subaru has plans to compete in various motorsports events with the WRX STI, so expect to see the hatchback at rally events, with the sedan competing in touring-car races.

We’re still unsure how the U.S.-spec WRX STI will differ from the home-market version, but we do know that both will produce more than 300 bhp. The Japanese model will come powered by a new version of the FB flat-4 with a turbocharger. Our sources say that the 2.0-liter engine will produce 330 bhp and 324 lb.-ft. of torque, which is 8 bhp and 12 lb.-ft. more than the current domestic model. Despite the additional power, we expect fuel economy to improve.

The price is expected to be around $35,000, but we’re hoping Subaru will be able to bring that down to the $30,000 mark. With the high value of the Japanese yen to the American dollar, however, that might prove impossible. But we do know that the car will be one potent machine. The product general manager of the Impreza, Akihide Takeuchi, said that although he can’t comment on the progress of the car, it would be safe for all of us to have very high expectations.

ORIGINAL ARTICLE

I really really like that updated picture. It has similar lines to the new Legacy as far as the fenders but the front looks really aggressive. I like how alot of companies are going with the matte/flat look on the front bumpers. Gives the car some contrast and highlights some good lines IMO.

^ Not bad, but I'd rather take the 22B. It may not have the same top power as the later cars, but it's lighter so you get a better power to weight ratio.

http://www.bedug.com/pics/subaru_impreza_22b_sti_large_22282.jpg

http://www.bedug.com/pics/subaru-impreza-wrx-sti-22b-badge.jpg

220.47 hp/ton

453747.png

Looks like a body kitted Civic.

Where is the 5-door?

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

^ Not bad, but I'd rather take the 22B. It may not have the same top power as the later cars, but it's lighter so you get a better power to weight ratio.

220.47 hp/ton

I would agree more if it were 4 door. otherwise, definitely a very close second.

everyone always says that any new model is the ugliest thing they've ever seen. imo, it's because we are used to seeing cars (not just the one in question) that are all relatively similar in design. its how generations are defined by styles. all 70's cars are similar, all 80's cars...etc, etc. it just takes everyone designing things in a similar matter before they become acceptable. just my humble opinion.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

I don't necessarily think it's ugly, just unoriginal. The yellow hatchback picture that is floating around looks cool though.

It's not very different from any other 2/3-door compact car. Especially if you look at French and Italian cars.

And it sure looks like it's a study for a return to WRC.

453747.png

I'll be looking at a different brand. I like my 2007 Legacy, but I hate the new Subarus. I'd be more likely to get a Ford Fusion Sport AWD were my car to get totaled today (lack of folding mirrors notwithstanding ;) ). Hopefully with a little luck my career will allow me to move upscale and get a luxury brand car (with the type of features once found on the Legacy GT before the recent de-contenting).

Have fun with your new Fusion made in Mexico and buying at the top trim level just to get AWD

• 2 weeks later...

Don't know why people are assuming that just because the new WRC cars now use 1.6L turbo engines, the new WRX also will. Unless they also changed that rule, the new 1.6L engine specs only apply to the race car. The street car could have a 3L turbo H6, doesn't matter for homologation of the rally car.

I don't see how they could get 270hp out of a 1.6L street engine that has to last 100K+ miles and pass emissions, and get reasonable fuel economy.

Fog lights would be useless in the hood, they're supposed to be close to the ground.

Friends don't let friends drink cheap beer.

stupid american television. wish they would atleast show coverage on bbc or something. hell, give me access to some lame-o euro tv station that does cover wrc. i hate watching on my phone and computer. thats what my kick ass tv setup is for. oh well, guess i just have to live with all the redneck people talk about nascar on speed.
I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Archived