LegacyGT.com

My Leggy threw a "P0400" code today :-(

This is the first time I've seen the code come up since I've owned the car. Previous owner (and friend) said that the CEL would come on every now and then, and that cleaning some hose (I forget which one he'd clean) would cause it to go off... Here's a few details on the car:

- 1998 Legacy GT (BK) - Auto

- 159,560 miles

- Headgaskets replaced around 120k miles

- Pretty good fuel mileage (Best: 28.7mpg - Avg: 24mpg), then again I do drive VERY sedate

Visually the EGR looks to be in good condition (exterior view only)... I'll continue my research and update this thread as I solve / fail with this problem.

Any input or advice, please feel free to let me have it! :)

Thanks guys!

Almost forgot... I JUST changed the oil for the first time since owning it. Switched from 10w-30 (unknown brand) to Shell Rotella T 15w-40 (dino)... And had JUST filled up the car with fuel about 5 miles before the light came on... I'll be sure to check the fuel cap right now...

This whole thing happened about 45 minutes ago. It is currently 99*F here in Enterprise, AL... Anyone think the heat might have something to do with it?

I had this same problem for a couple of months. I had no vacuum leaks anywhere, the EGR valve worked great, and the EGR pressure sensor tested out to be okay (I threw it in another car to verify it worked). The problem turned out to be the filter on the vacuum line the went to the pressure sensor. the part number is 22663AA010 and it costs $8

I got this pic off of a thread on the USMB forum.. The object circled in red, that interrupts the vacuum line, is the filter

Also, make sure that this line in not pinched off by a black tie wrap tying it to the black hose just behind it. Mine was attached to the hose just before the filter, as well as a buddies 99 LGT, but his was being pinched off and the pressure sensor could not get a correct reading and popping the same code. We removed the tie wrap and replaced the vacuum line to correct his problem.

filter1c.jpg.816eca3035169d492b511349470f9e1c.jpg

• I Donated
Hmm, strangest thing happened... Tuesday the 21st (day after the CEL first appeared), the CEL was off and hasn't been on since :confused:... Anyone heard of this code appearing and then disappearing??

Sure. not uncommon for it to happen

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

It's a computer, it had a glitch. That's not really very uncommon... If you've ever had your computer have a problem it makes sense.

I've always fixed EGR issues by making sure the lines aren't blocked, the solenoids work, and there aren't any vac leaks. Use a hand held vac pump, or suck on the line going to the EGR valve. If it doesn't open, then the valve is stuck.

EGR is stupid anyway.... Just disconnect the vac lines and pull the bulb out for the cel...

Mine would come on for days or weeks straight and then disappear, but it always came back 50 to 100 miles later, until I fixed the problem

Yeah, mine came back today... We'll see if it's there tomorrow... Although I suspect some of the lines may be clogged alittle... Sure would be nice to just completely delete the damn EGR... What a PITA!!

Went away yesterday and came back this afternoon... I think I'm just going to wait until it stops coming and going (or until I notice a horrific change in fuel consumption - getting about 24mpg combined with the AC on all the time at the moment) before trying to trouble shoot it...

Releasing tie wrap that tied the vacuum line to the larger hose behind it fixed the issue in my buddy's car. And replacing the circular, white filter shown in the picture I attached in an above post was what fixed it for me.

Did either of you get a slight hesitation when you lightly got on the throttle from a standstill at times? I'm getting a random almost "fall on it's face" for about 1 - 1.5 seconds when I go to take off... Never really noticed it until today when I went to turn left onto a 4 lane road :eek::eek:... Scared the piss outta me too!!

Well I've always gotten a half to 1 second hesitation whenever I tried to start from a standstill with more than just 30 to 35 percent throttle input. Has been that way before and after this problem, and never at light throttle. Have you removed that ERG valve itself and tried to clean it? It could be getting ever so slightly stuck

I have hesitation too when I give it too much throttle from a stop. I hate it and can't figure it out.

My friends 92 Legacy 4EAT takes off the line like a bat out of hell without hesitation.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, 4th of July weekend my car blew it's headgasket :(... It is currently up in Cary, NC at my mechanics place (TurboTime) getting all fixed up... Hopefully when it comes back it will be good as new - because I'm getting tired of fixing so much stuff!! Already spent 2x what I paid for the car on getting it back up to my standards!! :(

• 4 weeks later...

Well the car had it's headgaskets replaced. Turbotime (my shop in Cary, NC) do the replacements THE RIGHT WAY. They replace the headgaskets with the three layer metal ones from later model 2.5L motors.

I haven't picked up the car yet (next weekend I'll get up there and pick it up), but at the moment they are driving it around, making sure that everything is working correctly and what not...

Anyone in NC that has a headgasket failure, I HIGHLY recommend TurboTime in Cary, NC to do the job for you... You won't be disappointed at all!!

Well wish I read through this thread sooner...I have similar problem for a 1995 Legacy Lsi (4EAT).

Back in mid-June, on a 18 hour drive back from Yellowstone, my car threw on it's CEL. I noticed nothing in the way it drove, felt fine. Got home really late, and didn't check the code. The next morning, I start the engine and the CEL is off. I check the code anyways and it was P0400. I'm like...okay...whatever was not working is now working again, so no worries. Reset the CEL just in case to see if whether the first time was a fluke or if the next CEL throws the same code.

Just today, the CEL came on again and it's the same P0400. Still don't notice anything different about the way the car drives, and I have no hesitation in throttle from a standstill...I notice nothing wrong. Did not have time to do any troubleshooting but one thing I did check was the vacuum in the hoses, and they are all good, no leaks. \

Anyways, just wanted to share my story and bump this thread. I'm really curious as to whether or not your car is still giving the P0400 code, GreenMarine. Keep us updated...meanwhile, I will try checking the filter and hoses for clogs.

Just wanted to post quickly here before I go off and research more over the internet.

Got the car back last friday and JUST got back to Enterprise, AL from Raleigh, NC about an hour ago... The drive was great and I could swear that the car now has more power! Maybe not top end (I RARELY EVER go over 4,500rpm) but definitely more torque!

Overall I am VERY pleased with the outcome of the service... Once again, I HIGHLY recommend TurboTime in Cary, NC to do any and ALL Subaru service work you may need :)

• 2 weeks later...
Sorry for reviving a dead thread, but my egr code will not go away! I've cleaned the egr, transducer and everything. I changed the filter that was mentioned in this thread and it seemed to work, but only for a lil while. My local shop said that long pipe running up to the egr can get clogged and that will cause the problem. The only problem is that I can't get to it because the bottom bolt is deep down in the engine bay. You think taht is the problem or just that my egr is bad? Car has 180,000 on it. I just don't want to spend $140 a new egr valve and the cel still comes on.

• 2 years later...

Archived