LegacyGT.com

Swaybars

Hey guys,

I am currently on the search for swaybars. I'm not sure what to get... I heard from a buddy that 22mm front and 20mm rear was a good setup, but is there a cheaper way to get into that than buying two separate swaybars? The COBB kit does not list the sizes anywhere. Also, the Rallitek kit has a 19mm rear, would that have any negative effect? Does anyone have these?? I am asking this because the price of the rallitek kit is almost too good to be true...

HELP!!! :eek:

The kits are generally designed to produce a neutral steering bias (not oversteer or understeer) and the companies that make them have put forth a lot of research to come up with the "ideal setup."

Hollow bars are less stiff and react like a smaller diameter bar than a solid one. Adjustable bars also make a difference. You can adjust the front to softer and rear to harder or vice versa to dial in the ride the way you want. It depends how you want the car to react at the point of traction loss.

Significantly larger front than rear=understeer (stock setup)

Matched pair from a vendor=neutral

Larger rear than front=oversteer

I personally run Perrin solid 25mm bars front and rear (which are no longer available unless you come across one used) with the front on the softest setting and rear on the hardest to promote oversteer.

It's cool; I'm with the band

IIRC your LGT comes with a 20mm front and a 16mm rear.(didn't bother to look up).

I believe in the suspension forum under sway bar facts all the sizes are listed.

Any increase to the rear up to 20mm will change the handling characteristics for the better. The closer you get to the same size front and rear the less understeer you have until when they are the same, the handling is basically neutral but can more easily snap into oversteer.

Although this is a great improvement, it is good to go with reinforced brackets along with the bar.

Rallitek makes a great product and works well.

The better route is springs, then swaybars. But,bars alone still work well.

O.

Here are the Cobb bars. http://www.infamousperformance.net/servlet/the-274/Hotchkis-Subaru-Legacy-GT/Detail

Cobb re-branded them and now the manufacturer is making them again.

I'll have a set of Cobb springs with about 5k miles on them for sale soon, if you're interested.

dont mean to thread jack, even though i am.... i'll be interested in the cobb springs, you got pm!

I have the Rallitek setup and am impressed. I had the Hotchkiss Competitions sways on my WRX and even though they made the car handle ridiculously well, I felt every little pebble, crack and bump in the road which made my commute to work hell. They were also 26mm I believe which is pretty big.

The Rallitek sways are 22mm front and 19mm rear and doesn't give any shocking jolts to your spine when driving like larger sway bars will do. For the record, I never drove my car with stock sways so I can't compare before to after. Just my $.02.

the only thing is that im afraid that the ralliteks will be a little too soft for auto-x and/ or track... i have a buddy with a 97 M3 that I compete with on a regular basis, and since Im stock+ intake and short shifter w/o tune hes blowing me out right now haha

Intake and no tune? Isn't that a huge no no for a Subaru?

Yes.

I have Cobb (Hotchkis) sways with beefier Rallitek Endlinks. Also, upgrade to Energy Suspension bushing as the stockers will wear out...fast. If the Hotchkis don't come with a set of rear reinforcement brackets, get some. I know AVO makes a nice set. Sway bars made a BIG change to the handling of my car....do this!

Rehab is for quitters.

Yes.

I have Cobb (Hotchkis) sways with beefier Rallitek Endlinks. Also, upgrade to Energy Suspension bushing as the stockers will wear out...fast. If the Hotchkis don't come with a set of rear reinforcement brackets, get some. I know AVO makes a nice set. Sway bars made a BIG change to the handling of my car....do this!

Did you do upgraded struts and springs?

I reset the ecu if thats ok...

Any aftermarket panel filter is going to run you lean. There are extensive posts about this here. It's also widely known that there is no need to go with anything other than the stock intake until you go past stg2 and/or are putting out some serious HP and torque. This is a whole different discussion. I am :offtopic:

I like a solid sway over a hollow one. I'm stock front and 20mm Whiteline Adj, set to soft on the rear. Kartboy endlinks. Agree that upgraded rear sway mounts are a good idea. Progress or AVO. My car feels neutral now the back end is much "tighter". The stock endlinks are plastic. People here use them with upgraded bars... A solid metal endlink IMO is going to do a better job transferring lateral energy than a plastic one. Add some high quality bushings and you have a good cost effective suspension upgrade you will feel and appreciate immediately.

Did you do upgraded struts and springs?

Oh Yeah...Spec B rev As and Swifts...they're stiff. The Sways make it 100% different...stockers do it no justice.

Also...I have an AVO panel filter...had it since day 1...the car does not run lean...

Rehab is for quitters.

Archived