LegacyGT.com

How Many Have 6 Speed Swap

Scooby2.5

For the money, I rather build a 5 speed tranny. The 6 speeds are nice but they are not impressive. 3 of my brother inlaws all drive STI's. Driven all of them with different power levels, I don't see the advantage of the 6 speed other then it being a little tougher.

^off topic! With 6 speed you get helical and/or torsion limited slips etc with DCCD, way better than any 5 speed.

:stupid: The 6MT really is the bee's knees. I had a 5MT LGT with its standard open front, 50f:50r viscous center, and viscous rear. I now have a 6MT STI with a helical front, 41f:59r DCCD center, and Torsen rear. I :wub: my 6MT and think it's worth every penny as an upgrade if you have the coin.

Seriously, the STI drivetrain is just plain better in every way than the LGT/WRX drivetrain. Shift feel is much better (if you like a mechanical-feeling shifter), traction in the dry is outrageous, traction in the snow is too (with appropriate tires and DCCD settings), the rear bias is nice, DCCD is awesome in any low-traction situation, wheel selection is better with the 5x114.3 hubs, 6th gear is nice on the highway, etc.

Yeah, the 6MT+R180+5x114.3 combo is much tougher than the 5MT+R160+5x100, but it's so much more than that.

IMO the only reason to build a 5MT is it weighs less. If you're serious about weight reduction and want to keep weight down, go with a built 5MT. Even then, if you upgrade the diffs to compare to the standard STI 6MT setups, you'll end up spending significantly more than you would on an entire (used) 6MT combo!

The equation does change if you have the time, skills, and tools to rebuild your 5MT yourself.

To be fair I've never driven a built 5MT. I'm pretty confident with my judgement of one vs a full 6MT setup though.

Doesn't the obxt come with the R180?

Only the STI, Tribeca, 2007-2009 Spec.B, and SVX come/came with the R180. No Outback ever did, at least not in the US.

Here's a list I compiled just by reading through the 6MT Master Swap Thread...

groff

integroid

ZOrrO

NSFW

KCwagon

HAMMER DOWN

unclemat

2.5gtbx_44

PhilT

ShockerGT

atwood

08lgt317hp

TNPaparazzi (past tense since his car was totalled)

Obviously there may be others. ;)

Cheers!

Front LSD can be installed, and who really uses the DCCD. 99% of the time its on auto and you never touch the dial.

You can also swap in the R180 if need be. But we're only talking about the trans.

:rolleyes:

• 2 weeks later...
Front LSD can be installed, and who really uses the DCCD. 99% of the time its on auto and you never touch the dial.

You can also swap in the R180 if need be. But we're only talking about the trans.

I would suggest you read up on DCCD in response to your statement above ;)

Any Outback XT's that have done the 6 speed swap yet? I have a drive shaft question.

What's your question?

I haven't done the swap, but I've planned it out.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

groff

integroid

ZOrrO

NSFW

KCwagon

HAMMER DOWN

unclemat

2.5gtbx_44

PhilT

ShockerGT

atwood

08lgt317hp

Cheers!

Hey that's me!

And FWIW, I have the DCCD disabled most of the time. It's more fun as an open diff.

• 3 weeks later...

groff

integroid

ZOrrO

NSFW

KCwagon

HAMMER DOWN

unclemat

2.5gtbx_44

PhilT

ShockerGT

atwood

08lgt317hp

Cheers!

My ears are burning !

I had the 6 speed installed by Lachute last year when the car was 6 years old. If I had my time again this would have been one of the first upgrades I should have done, the difference is night and day.

Glad to hear it Phil, I have my 08 STI Tranny, R180, Spec B axels, FX300 clutch DCCD Pro,etc going in as soon as my car gets back from Cobb Plano with the new motor. Got most of it from a fellow canadian ifriese who also had lachute do the work......

Cant wait to get this thing in my car....

Please document your swap! The more info out there for Outback owners, the better!
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Archived