LegacyGT.com

Painting my new front bumper tomorrow, suggestions?

i have a fairly nice OBP mixed at a local company, i have some painting experience but not with black, Its a 6 year old paint job and im not blending the other panels right now, does anyone have any comments or suggestions?

one question im mulling over is 2 or 3 coats of clear, if I make it too deep will it detract from the other panels and make it more noticeable?:spin:

will take pics as the process moves along.

Two coats is more than enough. When it is really dry wet sand and buff. That is what gives it the best finish, specially on black. Gets rid of all the orange peel that I am sure you will get. I stopped painting about a year ago, but soemtimes I was able to lay clear on black so perfectly that it did not need wet sand and buff. Those were rare times though.

GL

X

---

Do 3 coats, especially if you use cheaper clear (low solids). What is going to happen is you will clear coat it and then you won't be pleased with it (orange peel, bugs, dirt) and you will wet sand it then you will buff it. When you wet sand and buff it it will take off quite a bit of clear. Chances are you might break through into base coat and will have to redo it.

If you need any further advice on bodywork/paint feel free to pm me. I'll try my best to answer your questions. Been doing bodywork/paint for ~12 years.

Do 3 coats, especially if you use cheaper clear (low solids). What is going to happen is you will clear coat it and then you won't be pleased with it (orange peel, bugs, dirt) and you will wet sand it then you will buff it. When you wet sand and buff it it will take off quite a bit of clear. Chances are you might break through into base coat and will have to redo it.

If you need any further advice on bodywork/paint feel free to pm me. I'll try my best to answer your questions. Been doing bodywork/paint for ~12 years.

Ok, I'll bite....just repainted the corner of my rear bumper, had cracked, spider webbed paint. Bit of touch up primer and sanding to prep. Paintscratch, diamond grey metallic. Did several wet coats of paint, waited 24 hours, then several wet coats of clear. Sanded and compounded the clear, got 95% of the orange peel out, its shiny. Looks okish.....but...

Issue - tried to blend it a bit towards the wheel well, but painted straight up to the fender and tail light. The new paint has a much more metallic look to it, almost bass boat metallic, bigger flakes, and just a hair darker. Passes the 5 foot test but really doesn't match well. Is this just normal luck of the draw? Or should I have sanded the fresh paint a bit before clearcoat? Painted differently? I don't have much paint left, maybe enough to do a square foot or so. Can I sand down to the new paint and re-clear, will that reduce the flakes...or will I mess it up?

Should I post a pic?

Thanks!!!

Blending paint especially with metallics is very complicated. You need to practice with solid color paint first before you step up to metallics.

There's too many things to consider when you're painting, air pressure, gun setup, distance from panel, etc etc.

P.S. you don't wait 24 hrs to clear coat. Usually 45-1 hour. You should get product data sheet with paint from whomever you bought it from. It tells you gun pressure, reduction rate, recoat time, etc.

the Flake size and concentration wont be effected by sanding either, that is just luck and varies by paintshop and how/what they mix.

Pearl, Thanks for the suggestions, Im using a mid temp 4-1 dupont it wasnt very cheap and i have an OK setup, did 3 coats of basecoat last night, did 2 of clear today, power went out between coats and shut down my fans, had to open the door :/ got some dust on it, gona sand it and one or 2 more coats of clear. pics in a few days most likely.

Good Luck, I leave painting to the experts.

Thanks for the luck, hahaha. I have had too much experience with "experts" in all fields of the car industry to trust them with ANYTHING:mad:, i've never in my life taken a car to a shop to even get an oil change or a full service gas station. on very rare occasions i'll go to a car wash if I'm lazy and its been smoky out. I enjoy being self sufficient and if something goes wrong I know what happened.

:spin:

Cool! Be happy your car is the black metallic. When the paint you get specially in the silvers has coarser flakes than the original it is a bitch to match it! The SWP is also a challenging one, actually tri coats is a pain in every car.

I am lucky I have regular silver. I have already painted (myself) my two bumpers and my hood. Looks as good as new!

X

---

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88Luyo9-Qt0&feature=related]YouTube - ‪Auto Collision Repairs-How To Blend Paint. Part 1‬‏[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KjGWc55Tzr8]YouTube - ‪Auto Collsion Repairs-How To Blend Your Paint. Part 2‬‏[/ame]

Archived