LegacyGT.com

98 GT auto tranny gear ratios

I'm looking for something I can't seem to find. The gear ratios of a 98 GT auto transmission. I don't mean final drive, which is about all I can find.

I've found gear ratios for almost every other automatic besides this one (and the OBW, which is the same).

thanks.

I'm not always very good at making google spit out what I want.

I was hoping someone would have it bookmarked, saved to their hard drive, whatever. Not sarcastic answers.

well hopefully someone who takes autos apart will chime in on their personal findings, or something. I dunno. Just because I can't find the info doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

• I Donated

thats not very useful to the orignal poster, but it is to me! lol

thanks for posting that! bookmarked

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

thats not very useful to the orignal poster, but it is to me! lol

thanks for posting that! bookmarked

Haha. Very useful to me too. :) Thanks!

My 9.3 cups EJ22 makes me feel like my **** is 2.8 decimeters!

i think the fsm will have it but i'd have to look to see.

why do you want to know?

generally speaking,

ALL gear ratios are the same in a given year, outback / GT vs. legacy L / impreza.

the fifth gear changes a little, occasionally, from one tear to the next, but not very much.

subaru uses the same 4 speed auto trans for all of it's cars (in the late 90s at least). but they mate it with different diff ratios and / or tire sizes to change the nature it. that and the shift points in the trans computer.

subaru is such a small car company, compared to GM or toyota, that using the same trans saves them money. and it works very well for the cars they make.

again, why do you want to know???

Well there's this this, a forum i'm actually on. But it gives more than one automatic gear ratio set. Neither of which are necessary what I have.

Since mine is a 4.44 tranny it may be the same as the RS, but I need to know for sure.

Oh, and I have a link to that manual chart in a more readable form.

http://www.northursalia.com/techdocs/trannychart/trannychart.pdf

On the chart, your trans is the same as the 2.5RS 4EAT and the 2.5 N/A Forester 4EAT. I can't remember how I originally found the ratio's for my car, and 96 LGT 4EAT, but when I did the math the numbers fit. And your car has the same transmission as mine, which means it has the same gear ratios.

Thanks! I had a feeling the 4.11 boxes would be the same, but wanted to make sure!!

I thought about doing the math, but since the TQ doesn't lock except for in 4th gear, it would make it sort of impossible.

Reason I'm asking is, I want to make flappy paddle shifters for my transmission. So the gear ratios are important.

There's a few very long and technical threads on USMB how to do it, but for OBD1. So I'm hoping I can figure it out on my car.

I used my snap-on scanner to get a number for RPM and speed to use in my calculations, then just used the trans gear ratio, final gear ratio, and tire size to get the constant.

And how hard do you think it is to make a paddle shifting setup?? I would definitely want have something like that

I should really just swap to a 5speed. but whatever.

I really want to swap to a 5speed auto, put 4.44 gears in it (all 5speed autos are 3.54), and swap the 4th gear out of a 4speed as 5th.... but I dream on.

Archived