LegacyGT.com

Emergency Tune

YourConfused

Kind of a weird thread, but its been an unplanned week. Grandma with heart troubles and a GREAT grandma with a bad heart in ICU and isn't going to live much longer. They are both over a thousand miles away from me and in two different states, flying would suck and be expensive. I need to drive.

Background: 07 LGT 5EAT, got it 2 months ago, recently installed stage 2 parts (aem intake, uel headers/ up pipe, down pipe and full exhaust) so now it is ready to get a tune.

Current state: Car is running in default (safe/limp mode) getting 12 mpg. I only live a few miles from work so I just dealt with it this last week and a half while waiting for a tune.

Tuning fails: Had a friend try and tune it a week ago, no-go, STI fail. Talked to COBB and they have a wait time I can't deal with, plus they are asking a $$grand$$. I am currently awaiting contact from Infamou1, but I may not have time to wait for contact (bought the tune on wednesday).

So, can anybody direct me to a simple safe map that will get my car out of limp mode and allow me to drive it while awaiting a real tune from Infamous Performance? I need to leave for Iowa tomorrow, but can perform road e-tune along the way if needed.

Thanks for reading this,

Shaun

edit: I have tactrix cable 2.0, laptop (win 7) with ecuflash, romraider, learningview installed

fam is doing better and has bought me 2 days to get this under control.:)

What is "default"? If you don't have an AP to flash an OTS stage-2, or some other tuning device to flash a base-map, then you are putting yourself in a bad spot.

A stage-2 car should never be driven without a stage-2 map on it. Period.

You should uninstall all of the parts you installed, if you want to drive the car tomorrow.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

What is "default"? If you don't have an AP to flash an OTS stage-2, or some other tuning device to flash a base-map, then you are putting yourself in a bad spot.

A stage-2 car should never be driven without a stage-2 map on it. Period.

You should uninstall all of the parts you installed, if you want to drive the car tomorrow.

Thanks for input :), edited first post to include more info. ie: safe mode not default mode lol

Yes I am looking at going back to stock for the trip, just not sure if the dealer will have new gaskets in stock for some of the exhaust connections.

I'm sure the dealer will have the gaskets in stock. They are a really common part.

Safe mode isn't safe to drive the car in. Hopefully you have been gentle as possible when driving it. Any aggressive throttle at all, and you could have caused some damage.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I'm sure the dealer will have the gaskets in stock. They are a really common part.

Safe mode isn't safe to drive the car in. Hopefully you have been gentle as possible when driving it. Any aggressive throttle at all, and you could have caused some damage.

Well I am keeping throttle input to a minimum, just enough to drive in traffic.

sad, but when removing front O2 it came out with most of the cast manifold threads too. i'm not sure how well the new O2 will thread into the stock location, and don't want to know how much a new part will cost. I guess I could leave just the headers and replace the other aftermarket stuff as last resort. Overall just bad timing of events...

CEL code pulled was for MAF ratio. forgot the code # Anyway it is running super rich, which is better than going lean... just bad for fuel consumption.

Thanks for your time!

Didn't mickeyd have a base stage 2 map posted on www.nasioc.com or here?

Probably still a little risky to run w/out logging though.

RomRaider also has various stage 2 base maps:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29

Duh, just noticed mickeyd's map is the one posted on my link to RomRaider above and it was for a MT, you'd have to use one of the others for a 5EAT.

Didn't mickeyd have a base stage 2 map posted on www.nasioc.com or here?

Probably still a little risky to run w/out logging though.

RomRaider also has various stage 2 base maps:

http://www.romraider.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=29

Duh, just noticed mickeyd's map is the one posted on my link to RomRaider above and it was for a MT, you'd have to use one of the others for a 5EAT.

Looking at second link gives me hope as most on NASIOC know everything and understand nothing! Thanks for the link and your time. Hope to get this car running well soon.

If you remove your intake(go back to stock) and drive out of boost, you should be fine for the drive.

I am removing the intake, and will take it on a drive tonight. I'll see if I can get some log of it. I have a 4 gig card in the tactrix cable, but am not sure how to have it log when laptop isn't involved.

thanks

Run a vacuum line directly from the nipple on the compressor outlet to the nipple on the wastegate actuator. Then cap or cork the stock lines that connected to those two fittings.

This will limit you to about 12psi. The key thing is that your exhaust mods are likely to over-boost without a tune, and this will prevent that. You'll have less power than stock, but not dramatically less.

With that change, plus going back to the stock intake, your motor will be totally safe.

I do essentially the same thing with my car any time I make a significant change, so I can make sure everything is OK at low boost before I turn it up again.

Run a vacuum line directly from the nipple on the compressor outlet to the nipple on the wastegate actuator. Then cap or cork the stock lines that connected to those two fittings.

This will limit you to about 12psi. The key thing is that your exhaust mods are likely to over-boost without a tune, and this will prevent that. You'll have less power than stock, but not dramatically less.

With that change, plus going back to the stock intake, your motor will be totally safe.

I do essentially the same thing with my car any time I make a significant change, so I can make sure everything is OK at low boost before I turn it up again.

ill look into doing that. not looking for more power, just a good running car.

Thanks man!!!!!

First of all OP, you are a really good kid. For real. Too many people do not care much for their elderly. Second, sorry to hear about their failing health. Its never fun to deal with family illness or death. (I've buried both sets of grandparents, my father, and two siblings.) My family is wishing yours the best in its time of distress. Dont forget to treat yourself to a bottle of good Scotch.

NSFW gave you a great suggestion. Stock Intake + boost limit mods.

Let this be a lesson to future modders: If you don't have a tune lined up, WTF are you installing parts for on your daily driver? What if a family emergency comes up!?

First of all OP, you are a really good kid. For real. Too many people do not care much for their elderly. Second, sorry to hear about their failing health. Its never fun to deal with family illness or death. (I've buried both sets of grandparents, my father, and two siblings.) My family is wishing yours the best in its time of distress. Dont forget to treat yourself to a bottle of good Scotch.

NSFW gave you a great suggestion. Stock Intake + boost limit mods.

Let this be a lesson to future modders: If you don't have a tune lined up, WTF are you installing parts for on your daily driver? What if a family emergency comes up!?

LOL yeah it was a tri fold thing cause my sis got into legal issues too. All this in one week. It will be a Denver to Omaha to IOWA road trip. would take my truck, but its a/c compressor just went out. Its just about the same price to get the a/c going on it as it would be to get the legacy going strong with a COBB tune. I may just take my truck, so I can pull back my 240Z..... Such a great car!

HAHAHAHA I had a tune lined up but it failed. went to COBB and they said wait a week, so I went to Infamous1. Where the hell did he go? No word in 4 days. So much for an e-tune from him. Just left with the sole option of going back to stock, which I am doing atm.

thanks for the understanding, means a lot!

Good news! Great gma doing a little better and that has given me two more days until I must leave. I am not having any luck getting the car to talk to romraider, but Shamar is in contact with me now so I am hopeful. Learning view isn't working either and when my friend tried to tune it he wasn't able to for some reason... He was using my tactrix cable too, wonder if my cable is bad?

Glad she's feeling better. You are really lucky to have them in your life.

Hopefully Shamar can pull a rabbit out of his hat and set you up so you can drive the car out west. The last thing you want to do is have to worry about car problems when your family is relying on you.

Just wanted to chime in here.. tuning.. you don't want to rush it... if you don't have a OTS map or a tune for Stage 2... then I would suggest just getting a rental car if you have to travel somewhere. If you can't afford that then you shouldn't be spending money tuning your car, unless you have other methods of transportation. Always save up for the unexpected, you never know when you'll have a family emergency ;)

if you don't have a OTS map or a tune for Stage 2... then I would suggest just getting a rental car if you have to travel somewhere.

That would be a big waste of money. See the last few posts.

Thanks to PartyRock I have romraider working!

Now I need to figure out learning view.

usb cable detected in com port 3, like it should be.

Anybody got anything obvious they would like to share??

Thanks for all the input thus far guys!

Archived