LegacyGT.com

Dealer is ordering me an 06 w/ NAV

tiew... get one of those bluetooth GPS and PDA combo. It's portable too!

NAV systems sucks more battery power and add weight. hahahahaha!!!

Or just get a decent laptop with a GPS setup. You could definitely do this for the same cost as a retrofit, if the retrofit's even possible. Probably less... Plus you'd have a laptop. :)

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Or just get a decent laptop with a GPS setup. You could definitely do this for the same cost as a retrofit, if the retrofit's even possible. Probably less... Plus you'd have a laptop. :)

That"s how I have been traveling for the past 2 years. On the minivan I have a Garmin unit (the sensor) which is mounted semi-permanently, in its own housing (hidden by the roof bars)...and it has a long USB cable and ...inside the car I have a holder for the laptop much like cops have. Pretty decent software also Road Atlas 2005, with voice navi and automatic re-routing.

But try doing that in the Legacy. Well I did that as I went to Detroit over the Memo Day Wknd. but you need two people ...one is driving the other is holding the laptop...Signal from a Garmin hand held on the dashboard. The dashboard is crowded with radar detector, and GPS, cables everywhere, buly power converters, power adapters for the notebook...plus always holding it on your knees. It ain"t fun. It wroks OK in the minivan due to the cavernous space but not in a small car.

And yes Lowrance Iway is getting great reviews...but you get all these wires, bulky unit...NO WAY. I want a clean look.

I looked into Lowrance I-WAY 500 C myself...and even traveled 90 miles to just see one at BAss Pro Shops . That being said...i firmly had the impression that it is bulky and that one could not make ...NOT even a half-assed job in installing it in the Legacy. It may be good but it is soo big...it has a metal back...and simply said...there"s no way it fits in the cubby. If you are into cutting and fitting shit in...might as well get a nice unit. A Pionneer AVIC-N1 runs about 300-400 dollarts more expensive. But it is a guaranteed hit with no fitment issues once you cut something behind the cubby and get the Japanese 1 DIN vent hole. And I decided that the pains of the stock radio unit are too big...so I will install just two small speakers somewhere to get the navi option and?or MP3 playing for the front. But my main usage is NAvi.

i hear you but am not interested in installing it as we have mulitple cars...so i'll use the suction cup mount and be able to move it around. with a larger unit you get all that data and mp3 storage and a bigger screen...

Archived