LegacyGT.com

Dealer is ordering me an 06 w/ NAV

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yeah and you can't put a outback VDC MP3 HU in a legacy. riiight. I imagine the NAV integration could be harder because of CAN integration, actually I hear next year subaru's will have CAN bus throughout. Who knows if this effects NAV operation, we already use CAN, it's just not fully integrated, i.e. brought out to the diag port. Vehicle speed/etc/etc needed by the NAV should be already available on CAN, hopefully they don't change it. Only way to find out will be to hook one up.

litkaj, did your dealer give you the option to order your 06 w/nav in a non limited trim? I want nav but not leather or sunroof.

My dealer won't comment on the 06's yet.

Trust me, you want the limited.. the non power seat sucks ass.

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough. - Mario Andretti

You car is for getting places. NAV tells you how to get there. How much better of a match can there be? It's not a novelty.

Maybe if you never go anywhere except work.

My Legacy goes with me everywhere except work - I would never see it again if I parked around here :lol: :lol:

Homelink is already available, at least for the 05's, so i figure it will be on the 06's. Guess we'll just have to wait and see later this month as to what there is gonna be for sure.

interesting. my dealer told me it was available on the Outback, but not the Legacy (at least here in Canada).

A NAV unit is great, many ways of using the screen. it is highly probable to use the signal with a DVD, TV Tuner, PC, Playstation, Tuning your AP or ECU on the screen, view digital gauges on it from ECU, etc etc?

I'm pretty sure at least some of us who will have the unit will do all kinds of shit to it.

While some people who really choose not to have it really dont care, others with 05s with no hope of retro-fit (pending) who continue to keep telling themselves its a novelty so they dont get more pissed that they dont have one.

Someone had to say it!

::readies fire extinguisher::

i dunno how much the NAV unit would need to interface with the ECU. My NAV device and software for my laptop work perfectly and report the vechicle speed as well.

Not sure, but an exmaple of this in action is the R34 GTR. You can view every gauge you can think of on its dash screen. Granted it's no NAV, but raises possibilities.

http://www.batfa.com/photo-usedcar-skylineGTR2000white-interior.files/skylineGTR2000white-interior.jpg

litkaj, did your dealer give you the option to order your 06 w/nav in a non limited trim? I want nav but not leather or sunroof.

My dealer won't comment on the 06's yet.

No, but then again, I didn't ask. I believe that I remember him saying that the NAV would be an option on the 2.5GT Limited vehicle only.

Does that mean no '06s at all , of any kind until mid-July?

Mid-to-end July would be my guess. The dealer told me that my car (assuming that I buy it) would be in their first allocation.

And how much is the Navi option ?

I mean c'mon dude...you can't go to a dealer and tell him "Yeah...order me ajuiced up 06 LGT" I will buy it without knowing the price. So...how much is the damn Navi ? I have to have an ideea to know if it is worth it over a Pioneer AVIC-N2 (fitment and ease of install...cause value for the money and versatility still rests with the overpriced Pioneer)

And possibly the spec B

He said it would be standard on the "500 Special Edition" cars. He kept avoiding the name "Spec B" even though I kept using it.

And how much is the Navi option ?

I mean c'mon dude...you can't go to a dealer and tell him "Yeah...order me ajuiced up 06 LGT" I will buy it without knowing the price. So...how much is the damn Navi ? I have to have an ideea to know if it is worth it over a Pioneer AVIC-N2 (fitment and ease of install...cause value for the money and versatility still rests with the overpriced Pioneer)

Actually, he knew I was interested and he called me. He said that he would order one to my specs and that if I decided that I wanted it, then they wouldn't have to find one or order one special. I'm under no obligation to buy it so ther is no harm in not knowing the exact price. If we can't come to a decent deal when the car gets here then I simply won't buy it from them (I called a different dealer and they told me $1500 over invoice for an 06 w/ NAV without even haggling, but they wern't willing to pre-order it for me). They're going to have to give me a good price to get my business because the Dodge dealer right down the street is willing to order me a Magnum at 1% below invoice.

As for the cost of the NAV, the MSRP is $2000 and the Invoice is $1,839 on the Tribeca, so I would assume that it is the same price since it's supposed to be the same unit.

Did you have a look at the Tribeca Navi ? How is it ? User friendly ? Accurate ?

Nope, I took Monday off so I've been working 10.5hr days to make up for it. I'm planning on heading over today or tomorrow to check it out.

I have been waiting for Navigation to be built into a Subaru for years, so I have been following this issue closely. I have been lusting over the integrated look and being relatively theft-proof compared to my several Garmin units I have been using for 8 years. I have been willing to trade up my 05 Outback for a 06 if it is done right.

So far I have been disappointed in what I have seen.

I went to the dealership and played with the Navigation in the 06 Tribeca and I have played with one in a 2005 Legacy in Japan. Both are not nearly as good as those from Honda and Toyota. I have used navigation systems for years in cars and aircraft and found the Subaru one to not be terribly user friendly. The interface does not look like it is fully matured. Both I salesperson and I struggled with the user interface to find things in the Tribeca. I cannot say how accurate it is because we never left the lot, I knew that it was not what I was hoping for already.

The biggest disappointment for me was the screen in the shipping Tribecas is not the same one in preproduction model I saw at a car show a few months ago. The show car a the auto show had a navigation screen that was the sharpest and brightest screen I had ever seen built into a car and I could not wait to have one, but the one in the production model has much lower resolution and is not nearly as bright. I had a similar impression of the navigation screen in the Legacy in Japan earlier this year - low resolution and not as bright as it could be. I had been hoping that severe jet-lag had clouded my memory of it, and had high hopes when I saw the preproduction Tribeca. Overall the screen on my portable Garmin GPS is *much* sharper and brighter.

That said from what I have seen I would still get it if I was buying over again, but I don't see a reason to trade my car in for it, or spend thousands of dollars to retrofit it. This is saying a lot for me because to have hated staring at the the cubby door for a year knowing that is where the navigation system belongs in other markets.

Nope, I took Monday off so I've been working 10.5hr days to make up for it. I'm planning on heading over today or tomorrow to check it out.

Alright, I stopped in this morning on my way to work to take out a Tribeca. I got the sales guy I've been working with to come with me.

Now, as much as I hate to say this, I may not be buying that 06 when it comes in. The NAV in the Tribeca is absolute crap. It's not that the NAV system itself is bad, I like the interface, the screen is easy to read, it's even got a nice voice (its got male and female voices for English, as well as one French voice). It's the map data. According to the East Coast DVD (all of the maps are on both DVDs but half the POIs are on the East Coast Disc and half are on the West Coast Disc), my apartment is about a half-mile from where it actually is (and it told me to turn left, not right, so I'd be heading in the wrong direction). My office is about a third of a mile from where it is. Even the dealership was about a quarter mile from where it is according to the NAV. The dealer couldn't even find his development (which has been around for 5 years) on the DVD. I don't know how old these maps are, but it was only reasonably accurate (within 250 ft) for 2 out of 15 locations that we tried. The POIs were fairly on the mark but how many people really need directions to the same grocery store every day?

Anyway, the salesman is going to call his training rep at Subaru to see what he says. Hopefully they'll be able to sort it out.

So I should actually think about the aftermarket Pioneer ?

As of right now, I can't recommend the Subaru NAV system to anyone. It tracks just fine, it just doesn't know where anything is.

I'm not sure what I'm going to do. If I go back the end of July and the thing still doesn't lead me where I want to go then I think that I may have to go talk to that Dodge dealer about the Magnum or possibly an Infiniti dealer about a G35 Sedan.

i'm a big fan of nav in autos even though i don't use it all that much. but when i need it it's a wonderful thing to have in the car.

that being said i think there are some really good aftermarket nav systems out now: garmin, lowrance and tomtom (i'm sure i've forgotten a couple more) all make really good nav's now. while they obviously aren't integrated into the dash they are portable and about 1/3 the cost of a factory nav system.

the first order of business with our new lgt ltd wagon is to get the seat altered so my wife's back isn't hurting, but after that if there's any budget left i'm going to get her a lowrance nav....5" touch screen, 10gb data storage, 10gb mp3 player....not sure how to hook up the latter with the subi factory audio system though.

I looked into Lowrance I-WAY 500 C myself...and even traveled 90 miles to just see one at BAss Pro Shops . That being said...i firmly had the impression that it is bulky and that one could not make ...NOT even a half-assed job in installing it in the Legacy. It may be good but it is soo big...it has a metal back...and simply said...there"s no way it fits in the cubby. If you are into cutting and fitting shit in...might as well get a nice unit. A Pionneer AVIC-N1 runs about 300-400 dollarts more expensive. But it is a guaranteed hit with no fitment issues once you cut something behind the cubby and get the Japanese 1 DIN vent hole. And I decided that the pains of the stock radio unit are too big...so I will install just two small speakers somewhere to get the navi option and?or MP3 playing for the front. But my main usage is NAvi.

Archived