LegacyGT.com

Hawk Break pads.

My car is a daily driver, that's all! I am responsible and more than old enough to know right from wrong. For whatever reason I have for the use of my car, I only asked for opinions on brakes. I thought that that's what this Forum was for! I expected some real advice from people who have worked on their cars and tried different products. I didn't realize I would get mocked and made fun of for posting a sentence that got misconstrued. I really hope there are some mature people out there who can look past all this stupidity on here and be willing to share some good advice. Thanx to all who did give their opinions on the brakes and not on whether I'm an idiot or a moral upstanding citizen!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply
When we raced years ago, we went out away from traffic, usually late at night in an industrial area.

Stupid street racing is dangerous and done in traffic. There's not one of you that hasn't raced someone from a stoplight. You say you haven't, I'll call you a liar.

Call me an idiot? I never got a ticket and never had a wreck. My fastest cars ran 10's.

Back in the 60-70's we used to have cops come out a watch us race, some even joined in when they were off duty. We were having a good time and not bothering anyone.

Times have changed and people get offended if you look like you're having fun then call 911. I stopped going out a few years ago, it's not the same, too many idiots that do things that are destructive to private property or just plain dangerous, trying to impress someone. Back in the day, we policed ourselves. If someone started doing something stupid, they would be called out and told to stop or leave. If they got mouthy, they would be facing a crowd.

Oh yea, bet you guy's didn't have your own christmas tree, we did...

Yea the good old day's. CHP even held the flashlights one night while we took the slicks off and put the street tires back on.

:)

Oh yea, I like the Hawk HPS too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Like I said, I've run Hawk pads and had good luck with them. Just don't get the competition compound, you have to heat them up to work well and they are wrong for the street. Until they're hot, they don't work. I made that mistake once.

Back in '94 (I was 42) I got hauled in for street racing. 9 tickets, including evade and elude. My car was a red Nova, several miles from where he saw a red Nova racing he came on me, not speeding or doing anything. Towed my car, took me to jail.

All tossed the tickets got tossed out, cop admitted in court he had lost sight of the car he was chasing for several minutes. The cop tried to say I was running from him, my lawyer had a copy of a time slip I had given him, my car ran 11.80's at 115 on street tires, the cop cars were speed limited to 105, cop couldn't explain how his car ran down a 10 mph faster car and that was just in a 1/4 mile.

Truth is, it wasn't me, that night. Did I ever race that car on the street? Yes, that's what I built it for. Back then I had a '68 Chevelle SS396 that I drove round on slicks on weekends, but there were lots of cars like mine every Friday & Saturday night. 300+ people every weekend in one industrial area. Never saw a wreck, nobody ever got hurt. Saw a lot of cars break.

I knew guys that would strap their kids in with helmets and got racing. I never did that, my kids never saw me race until they were in their teens. It's really a humbling experience to have to call your 18 year old son to come pick you up from jail for street racing.

My day's were back in the late 70's when I was in my early 20's. I was driving a buddy's 440 Duster one night, when I got back to the start line the cops were there. They didn't see the race so they couldn't really do anything.

BTW, the guy's said the car looked faster when I drove it. It was a 12.0 car at Orange County.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

So I guess I have to clarify myself for everyone who see,s to think I'm an IDIOT!! I guess when I said STREET RACING, I wasn't clear. All I meant is that I run it a lil faster on the street than you legally should. I will guess that everyone here has done that. And yeah, maybe a little stoplight to stoplight if I feel it. I am 37 yrs old with 3 kids. I am not a young punk out there looking to be cool and show off to his teenage girlfriend.

There's a big difference between spirited driving by yourself, and racing against someone else. Racing against someone else on the street is stupid for many reasons. Most you should already know seeing how you're 37, but then again, you can't spell "brakes". Spirited driving above the speed limit is different, and slightly less stupid.

Do I drive with enthusiasm and spiritedly? Sure. On back roads, not on crowded streets, and nowhere near the limit of the car. I cruise at 70mph on the highway, all the time.

Do I street race people? Are you ******* kidding me? It's a goddamn 250HP 3500LB car for Christ's sake, what are you going to race? Civics? Accords? Oddessy minivans? I don't even street race in my fast car. Why? Because as the "old idiot" said, times-a-changin. People call 911, cops profile and the laws will anally rape you if you get caught street racing. Worst you get for flying solo is a speeding ticket or reckless driving.

That being said, there are tons of pad options, and if you're just going to be doing spirited street driving, then the Centric rotors will do you fine. Get a good fluid flush (ATE super blue or Typ200) and some stainless braided lines in there and you'll be good to go. I've also heard about the STI brake booster and master cylinder upgrade, but I need to do more research on that myself. Looks to be a decently complicated undertaking.

Well, after all of this, I just realized that I was spelling brakes wrong! Haha! I guess I am an idiot! Oh well! Must've been having a brain fart or something. Anyhow, I appreciate everyone's advice and I think I will do the Centric rotors, still have to decide on which Hawk pads. Either the HP Ceramic or the HPS. Still haven't decided.

And Yes, I would say I am definitely a spirited driver. I definitely misquoted here. I enjoy driving fast, much like most of us. I am however, very responsible and very aware of the road. Accidents can happen even to the most cautious of people. None of us are safe. We all just have to learn our cars, know our abilities to control that car and accept responsibility for our actions. I apologize to all I offended or upset.

I just don't know if I can get over being upset.

The ceramic pads dust less than the HPS and depending on exactly how you drive, you that's about all you'll see difference between them. HPS make black dust, the ceramics is more gray and less of it. I think the HPS, because of the high carbon content, tends to stick to the wheel more with static electricity. I can't prove that, but the wheels definitely get dirtier, quicker.

I got the HPS pads for my slotted front rotors on the Spec. I'm thinking may be I should have gone with the HP+ I think that's what they are. On my morning drive to work on the back roads I coast down some pretty long hills. Some with stop signs/lights at the bottom. I think I can feel the brakes fade a bit. I try to keep it under 60 going down these hills. So I'm on/off the brakes a few times.

I do have a OEM rear set up.

EDIT: I thought I updated this last night, On the way home at near the bottom of one of the big hills I pushed a little harder on the brake pedel than I normally do. The car stopped fine. I guess it was me just being wimpie.

There's a big difference between spirited driving by yourself, and racing against someone else. Racing against someone else on the street is stupid for many reasons. Most you should already know seeing how you're 37, but then again, you can't spell "brakes". Spirited driving above the speed limit is different, and slightly less stupid.

Do I drive with enthusiasm and spiritedly? Sure. On back roads, not on crowded streets, and nowhere near the limit of the car. I cruise at 70mph on the highway, all the time.

Do I street race people? Are you ******* kidding me? It's a goddamn 250HP 3500LB car for Christ's sake, what are you going to race? Civics? Accords? Oddessy minivans? I don't even street race in my fast car. Why? Because as the "old idiot" said, times-a-changin. People call 911, cops profile and the laws will anally rape you if you get caught street racing. Worst you get for flying solo is a speeding ticket or reckless driving.

That being said, there are tons of pad options, and if you're just going to be doing spirited street driving, then the Centric rotors will do you fine. Get a good fluid flush (ATE super blue or Typ200) and some stainless braided lines in there and you'll be good to go. I've also heard about the STI brake booster and master cylinder upgrade, but I need to do more research on that myself. Looks to be a decently complicated undertaking.

So you're telling me that, if you pull up to a freeway on ramp, those kind that have a stoplight, and a GTO or SS Camaro or something comparable pulls up besides you, you won't play around? Maybe gun it at the green light and race up to highway speed?

I just find that hard to believe... I'm not stupid either and don't "street race", but I think it's unrealistic to say you would never challenge another car in a relatively safe scenario like that.

To the OP, go with Hawk ceramic pads for street use.. if you really need rotors Brembo blanks are just fine... install is less than an hour for all 4 doing it yourself..

So you're telling me that, if you pull up to a freeway on ramp, those kind that have a stoplight, and a GTO or SS Camaro or something comparable pulls up besides you, you won't play around? Maybe gun it at the green light and race up to highway speed?

We don't have many of those types of onramps around here, but in a for instance sake, sure, maybe. Depending on the surrounding conditions: time of day, weather, traffic, my passengers, their passengers etc etc. But not in the Legacy. My LGT is bone stock, and even at STG 2 wouldn't think of it. My LGT is the car I need to run every day.

Oh yeah, and as noted below, never run a mustang or a camaro, no matter how modded it looks. Big sting years ago in CT on the Berlin Turnpike busting street racers with undercover modded camaros and rustangs.

I just find that hard to believe... I'm not stupid either and don't "street race", but I think it's unrealistic to say you would never challenge another car in a relatively safe scenario like that.

To the OP, go with Hawk ceramic pads for street use.. if you really need rotors Brembo blanks are just fine... install is less than an hour for all 4 doing it yourself..

Cops around here love to use camaros as undercover. So the answer is "No!"

i would get the hawk ceramics and rotors get con centric premiums they are the same as stoptech and brembo blanks :) the ceramics take a little to heat up but man do they stop you :)

BTW, Hawke Quiet slot rotors are a nice combo with their pads. I've run Power slot rotors with HPS pads too. They tend to have less fade under hard braking because they run cooler.

A lot of the misunderstandings and opinions I see expressed in forums, has a lot to do with the huge difference in living in different parts of the country. If you've never been in the wide open spaces of the Midwest, and live in the Northeast or West Coast, you have no idea why we can get by (intelligent) street racing. Where I live, you can drive completely across town in 20-25 miles. From my house on the edge of town, I can be completely away from traffic in 2-3 miles. We have no hills or curves, so lining up to street race, you can see a mile easy.

The type of street racing I grew up with, doesn't really exist anymore because of 2 things, cell phones and the change in our society that makes people want to show off. The show off thing, I don't understand. I'm old school, my fast cars didn't look fast or sound fast. You can't win any money off a street race if people see your car and think it's fast. We used to use white shoe polish to make our slicks look like they had white walls at night. It fooled both cops and other racers and made me a lot of money.

We used to have a saying, " if it's slow chrome it" I still think of cars that way, the more bling it has, the slower it is. And the whole idea of adding 400 lbs in a stereo to a car is just wrong. That's 4 car lengths. When I have a sweet sounding motor, who cares about music? By the time kids today are my age, they'll be deaf. My hearing isn't great, but it's not because of loud music.

Someone else want this soapbox, I'm done.

QUOTE]

Kind of like a couple of years back when my buddy with the 2001 Audi S8 showed a mid to late 90's vette how slow his car was. That was up in NH after we left NE Dragway. We were just there watching. BTW my buddy was 60y/o at the time.

Funny how we have hijacked this poor guy's thread.

BTW, Hawke Quiet slot rotors are a nice combo with their pads. I've run Power slot rotors with HPS pads too. They tend to have less fade under hard braking because they run cooler.

A lot of the misunderstandings and opinions I see expressed in forums, has a lot to do with the huge difference in living in different parts of the country. If you've never been in the wide open spaces of the Midwest, and live in the Northeast or West Coast, you have no idea why we can get by (intelligent) street racing. Where I live, you can drive completely across town in 20-25 miles. From my house on the edge of town, I can be completely away from traffic in 2-3 miles. We have no hills or curves, so lining up to street race, you can see a mile easy.

The type of street racing I grew up with, doesn't really exist anymore because of 2 things, cell phones and the change in our society that makes people want to show off. The show off thing, I don't understand. I'm old school, my fast cars didn't look fast or sound fast. You can't win any money off a street race if people see your car and think it's fast. We used to use white shoe polish to make our slicks look like they had white walls at night. It fooled both cops and other racers and made me a lot of money.

We used to have a saying, " if it's slow chrome it" I still think of cars that way, the more bling it has, the slower it is. And the whole idea of adding 400 lbs in a stereo to a car is just wrong. That's 4 car lengths. When I have a sweet sounding motor, who cares about music? By the time kids today are my age, they'll be deaf. My hearing isn't great, but it's not because of loud music.

Someone else want this soapbox, I'm done.

I'm with you, in the high desert of CA back in the late 70's there was a 67 chevelle Lennard was the owner, the looked stock, it would lift the left front tire in a parking lot. He used to be a Super Stock racer. My buddies 440 Duster would almost pull the left front tire though it looked anything but stock. Fender well headers roll bar, no back seat.

Like most things, there is a time and place for everything. I was told that when I was 16y/o by my sisters BF while riding in his 67 Vette. I told my son the same thing while he was growing up and at age 16 had 285whp civic on the street, when it went to 425whp, he came home one night and said that's it. This cars to much for the street, it now a track only car.

It's all about using your head.

Anybody need a set of front Centric Rotors and Hawk Ceramic Pads for an Acura MDX ?? I just happen to have a set - brand new in box - that I never got to install.

Sold the vehicle before the brakes ever wore out. PM me.

I think I've been convinced to get the centric rotors and Hawk brake pads. Any ideas where to get these at a great price? I've looked online, and there are quite a few that sell one or the other. autopartswarehouse.com has both, but which model of Centrics do I want?

they're all good.

the biggest improvement will come from the stainless steel cross drilled brake lines.

I heard you never have to bleed the brake system if you have that type of line.

Now that is just "SICK"

Where can I get a set or two. Do they come with stickers ?

I think I've been convinced to get the centric rotors and Hawk brake pads. Any ideas where to get these at a great price? I've looked online, and there are quite a few that sell one or the other. autopartswarehouse.com has both, but which model of Centrics do I want?

Centric premiums. infamousperformance.net (sales@infamousperformance.net) got me the best price shipped on a set of four. I'm doing my brakes over next week.

Archived