LegacyGT.com

Sticker Residue Removal

it wouldn't be pretty at all... i freak out when a bird craps on my paint...

you guys have to remember that some of us are still noobs... (pours goo-gone over car and starts heating it up with hair dryer)...:eek:

OCDetails,

My problem with the hair-dryer is that it requires some Kung-Fu. Minor though it might be, and common-sense as it is, it's just that I've had enough bad experiences with it, myself, in order to know to say that it's just not right -for me-, and threw in the "will want to use caution on this" disclaimer.

But then again, this is from a guy who thought it might be speedy to use laboratory-grade acetone as a solvent to remove some modeling putty on one of his plastic replicas..... :lol:

--

Like you said, why use a cannon - just do the credit-card thing, and use Goo Gone.

:)

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

I just took the sticker off my rail last night. I used a little WD-40 on the residue and it wiped right off. No effect on the finish.

i used WD40 after i pulled my badges off- easy clean-up

i read in another post... someone was trying to debadge his car... used a hair dryer... paint bubbled up... yuck

I'd have to see that post and pictures to believe it. Hair dryers don't cause that kind of heat and paint doesn't bubble unless you heat it to the point it is near liquid. Paint would have a sort of 'drip' or 'smear' appearance if you heated it up too much. Think about how hot the paint on a car in the Arizona sun gets in August. I've seen exterior surface temperatures get upwards of 240 degrees on a car and yet the paint survives. I don't know that you are going to get the paint hotter than that with a hair dryer.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

I'd have to see that post and pictures to believe it. Hair dryers don't cause that kind of heat and paint doesn't bubble unless you heat it to the point it is near liquid. Paint would have a sort of 'drip' or 'smear' appearance if you heated it up too much. Think about how hot the paint on a car in the Arizona sun gets in August. I've seen exterior surface temperatures get upwards of 240 degrees on a car and yet the paint survives. I don't know that you are going to get the paint hotter than that with a hair dryer.

Agreed....if it could melt paint, imagine what it might do to someone's hair!!!!! :eek:

• 1 month later...
So I want to remove my dealer sticker. I am going to use the credit card and goo gone method. Should I clean the area first? I peeled off a tiny bit, and it was white underneath. I don't want to take it off and then have a sticker shadow. Any recommendations on cleaning the surrounding area. I don't want to detail the whole car..I just want to take the sticker off for the time being.

You'll want the surrounding area decently clean - otherwise, you'd risk dragging along some dirt/grit with your credit-card edge, and that won't make you happy. :)

As for the "white underneath" - please explain a bit more..... I see that your car's white, do you mean that the sticker is de-laminating itself in to two layers as you're peeling, or what? They vinyl should come off without leaving a second layer, unlike typical "bumper stickers" or the stickers on kid's Trapper Keepers. The Goo-Gone is used to clean up any left over "gummy" residue or vinyl "imprint" that remains after the lettering is removed.

Hope this helps!

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

The "white underneath" I am referring to I guess is the paint that wasn't exposed to the elements. I didn't peel much back, since I didn't clean it, or have Goo Gone on hand. Essentially, it looked "whiter" than the surrounding area, which is what led me to the sticker "shadow" concern

The car is brand new, driving it around for 4 days, so I guess just cleaning the area should be good enough. But what should I use to clean it? A microfiber cloth that's wet? Again, I don't want to go all out on the detailing, just enough to get this sticker off.

On my wife's car, a Silver Grey Metallic '05 Rex, removal of her dealer vinyl also resulted in the effect you described above. As long as the car's relatively youthful (we're talking -years- here, not anywhere close to the months that some of our rides may have sat on the lot) and the paint in excellent condition, there shouldn't be any concern with leaving a permanent "clean spot" where the lettering happens to be now. :)

Goo-Gone took care of removing the sticky residue (which can be "invisible" at first, after removal of the vinyl lettering) which would later attract more dirt and later cause some of the lettering to visually re-appear, as if by magic.

A quick hit with the hose and a microfiber cloth to wipe (then dry with a clean portion of the same cloth) should liberate any dirt/grit from the surrounding surface. If it's really dirty, hitting the area with a little bit of car-wash soap solution would help, too.

-A

Thanks for the tips. Unfort. I have to wait for tomorrow to try it out. Stupid clouds are blocking the sun!

Update: The sun came out! The Goo Gone procedure worked flawlessly. I didn't even need a credit card, just peeled the sticker off. Sprayed a liberal dose of Goo Gone. Waited like a minute. Slowly rubbed out the stickyness. Had to be careful to get a fresh surface on the cloth, because after a few strokes the cloth area was stickied up. After the majority of the sticker was off, took another cloth and wet half of it. Cleaned up the remaining sticker quite well. Cleaned "shadow" with the damp cloth too. Came out perfect.

Many thanks!

Great to hear!

-A

• 3 years later...

I'm evidently bumping this thread from the digital cemetary, but I found it on Search when I needed a few tips myself. I had a bottle of WD-40 lying around, so...

I have an 06 with recently-placed (last few months) dealer vinyl stickers. I could peel them off with my fingernail, but there was some residue that stuck around. I cleaned the area by soaking a towel with Windex, and then another towel with WD-40 and wiped it very gently. Some of the goo came up, and I used a flimsy plastic insurance card that I had lying around from an old job to scrape some of it up. I had to repeat this a couple of times, but once it was all gone, a quick wipe-down with Windex again, soapy water, and then just water, all looks well.

Don't be a wuss... Use a razor blade.

:lol: That made me laugh. Reminds me of the time one of my coworkers used steel wool to remove bugs from the leading edge of my wings. Aircraft paint jobs are not cheap. It was his last day of work. Made me mad and then made me laugh...who does that?

+1 for GooGone, I've seen people use it on their paint and it didn't leave a mark.

Archived