LegacyGT.com

Sticker Residue Removal

Picked up my new Legacy wagon yesterday and pulled off a sticker that was on the roof rail. Now there's sticky residue all over the rail. What's the most effective way to get this stuff off? I tried using a bit of alcohol, as that worked perfect on a couple of interior glass stickers, but this stuff on the rail is really tacky.

CJC

Get some Goo Gone from WalMart. Heat up the spot with a heavy duty hair dryer and then using a good microfiber or very nappy cotton cloth, rub it until you get most of the residue off. Then use the Goo Gone to literally disolve the remainer and wipe it dry to finish. Usually works for me.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Another vote for "Goo Gone!"

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

'16 Outback, '16 WRX, 7th Subaru Family

CJC -

I believe that peanut-butter would be worth a try. Hit up "OCDetail" on this and see what that whiz of detailing thinks. :)

Goo-Gone shouldn't mess anything up.....however, it's a solvent, and as with all solvents, I'd test it out in an unobtrusive/unseen spot -FIRST-, before proceeding with your actual project.

I've always attacked dealer vinyls (and other vinyls - I'm a confessed ex-Riceboy, and still one at-heart!) with a clean-edged "credit-card" and some Goo-Gone. The combo works great, even on relatively old and stuck-on vinyl.

-A

<-- I love Winky, my "periwinkle" (ABP) LGT! - Allen / Usual Suspect "DumboRAT" / One of the Three Stooges

Using Goo-Gone on the rail isn't going to mess up the finish? Searching google, I noticed some recommendations for wd-40, even peanut butter!

Thanks!

CJC

Is your rail hard plastic or metal? On the outback it is metal and I used a "citrus solvent" to remove the glue residue. Just soak some on a paper towel, apply for a min or two and then wipe off. I used a product for cleaning bicycle chains (Finish Line).

I've had good luck with Honda spray cleaner / wax (you can find it at motorcycle shops) - it's a good all-around product. I've used it to take off residue, though it's not as agressive as goo gone (for better or worse)

Don't be a wuss... Use a razor blade.

http://www.tadgear.com/edged%20tools/custom%20knives/nb_ticc.htm

or

http://www.tadgear.com/edged%20tools/ti-card.htm

:D I've got one of each in my wallet..... Who needs a stinkin' razor blade!

-A

ROFL - no, no, I only take my carbon-fiber knives when I fly (some machines can pick up even this little Ti).....I hand them out to the TSAs so they can kick ass with them if they need to. ;)

No, honestly, I don't carry when I fly; you should have seen me and my good buddy "disarm" ourselves and then double-check each other before we head to the airport! :D

I'm a law abiding citizen, just love sharp thingies too much.

And on that note, most people honestly don't know how handy one of these Ti-card knives can be. They're totally non-intimidating when pulled-out even in public-eye, and are very, very handy for all sorts of daily needs.

Just don't cut anything too hard with them, or they'll dull real, real fast!

Sorry, hijack off!!!!! :p

-A

^^^^^

If he's -very- careful, it shouldn't be a problem. Going slow, with great lighting and a steady hand, it's a sure-fire way to get EVERYTHING off the paint surface in one go/one-step, without any damage.

Eh....don't take my word for it, though. I'm a knife-nut, and if my skills were good enough, I'd be doing debadging with a Light Sabre. :lol:

-------------------------------

However, everyone (myself included) is always in a rush -- so I tend to use a soft-plastic "scraper" plus some kind of solvent. It's easy, it's fast, and as long you are sure that the edge of your scraper is clean and softer than the paint/surface, and that your solvent isn't gonna eat through the same, you're golden.

In so far as heat goes, I know my Kung-Fu isn't so good with a hair-dryer; even on its lowest setting, I can get carried away. The most I'd do is just leave the car out in the sun for a couple of hours to soften the glue up a bit, but that's it.

Really and honestly, I still prefer the plastic "credit-card" plus Goo-Gone method for just about everything automotive.

-A

This is the worst idea ever. It's painted metal/plastic - guaranteed way to F up the finish. :redface:

I was only kidding... You'd have to be CRAZY to take a razor to a new car finish

^^^

Crazy I am. ;) Like I said, I love sharp thingies. Play with knives enough, and you'll wanna try a knife on EVERYTHING!!!!

---

jarrod -

I'm assuming you mean the vinyl lettering/symbols?

Like I said above, I favor the old credit-card and Goo-Gone combo. Since the weather is pretty nice now, I would leave the car out in the sun for about an hour or so, then grab a clean credit-card (or something similar) and use it as a "scraper" to attack the stickers. I tend to favor a very sharp angle of attack, and not worry too much about left-over sticky goop - for which the Goo Gone will easily take care of.

-A

NP. :)

I'm still a big Riceboy at-heart, and being so, I've had to remove quite my share of (small stretches of) vinyls.

I've just recently did this to my wifey's Rex and my LGT, both new off the dealer lot.

If you use just the credit-card, you might think that you've got everything clean-off, but after driving around for a few days, the "impressions" of the stickers will return because they're attracting more dirt than your naked clearcoat/paint. The Goo-Gone will get rid of that left-over stickie and leave you completely clean. Just be sure to follow instructions on the bottle and rinse off the excess afterwards.

I think that having tested the Goo-Gone on the trunk of two '05 Scoobys should make it decently safe ---> everyone, your thoughts? :)

-A

i would be very, very careful with a hair dryer...

Why? A hair drier can't create the kind of heat that would damage anything. Its not a 1500 degree heat gun or anything. A hair drier is probably one of the better suggestions I've read yet. That and goo gone. A razor blade would work too, but why use a canon to kill a mosquito just to prove that it can be done? Just get some adhesive remover like goo gone and clean it up. A hair drier can help soften the adhesive left over and that will help, but its not necessary to use one. Goo Gone or some other adhesive remover will do the trick just as well.

“Cleanliness becomes more important as godliness becomes more unlikely.”

O C D E T A I L S . C O M

OCDETAILS BLOG

Great responses man--thanks to everyone. I dropped by Walmart and picked up the Goo Gone and am heading out to the garage with my credit card tonight to rid the rail of the residue....

CJC

Why? A hair drier can't create the kind of heat that would damage anything. Its not a 1500 degree heat gun or anything. A hair drier is probably one of the better suggestions I've read yet. That and goo gone. A razor blade would work too, but why use a canon to kill a mosquito just to prove that it can be done? Just get some adhesive remover like goo gone and clean it up. A hair drier can help soften the adhesive left over and that will help, but its not necessary to use one. Goo Gone or some other adhesive remover will do the trick just as well.

i read in another post... someone was trying to debadge his car... used a hair dryer... paint bubbled up... yuck

i read in another post... someone was trying to debadge his car... used a hair dryer... paint bubbled up... yuck

Yikes! I suppose that could happen if you held the hair dryer against the surface paint so that the air flow was reduced/stopped and the heating element (which is usually right behind the screen on the discharge side) got red hot. That could certainly cause a thermal overload on the paint that could lead to paint bubbling.

Other than that I couldn't see that happening with anything less than a bonified heat gun and directed high heat flow onto only one spot...it wouldn't be pretty.

SBT

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived