LegacyGT.com

Quick Question

So I have a 1996 Legacy L wagon and I was wondering if I could drop a 2.5 in it. Will the 2.2's ecu work with it and will the transmission work with it? The tranny is an automatic. The engine is a JDM EJ254. This question is for a guy who is wanting to buy my Legacy and put that engine in it.

It will bolt up and everything but that motor is single cam I believe, so that means that he will have to do a wiring merge with the single overhead cam ECU and engine harness.

Just curious but why would you have to merge wiring harnesses? I can see where there may be some differences in the wiring since the EJ254 is a much newer engine but the cams shouldn't matter.

I swapped a 2.5 DOHC with a 2.2 SOHC and it all plugged in and worked just had to change out the Y-pipe since the 2.2 was single port exhaust. From what I understand the ECU can be reset and relearn which is nothing more than unhooking the battery for a while. Of course it may be different with the difference in yrs. I guess.....

I said that the question was for a guy that is wanting to buy my old L wagon and do that... The car doesn't have a 2.2 to mod since there is no engine in it, which is the reason I asked about the JDM 2.5 getting dropped in it.

if the ej254 is a SOHC and a phase 2 engine it will not be a plug and play. there will be wiring issues. most folks do not cross the phase 1 / phase 2 line. it is just too much work.

but a 96 - 98 ej25 will drop in just fine.

or put the ej22 heads / intake on the ej254 and install it.

So I have a 1996 Legacy L wagon and I was wondering if I could drop a 2.5 in it. Will the 2.2's ecu work with it and will the transmission work with it? The tranny is an automatic. The engine is a JDM EJ254. This question is for a guy who is wanting to buy my Legacy and put that engine in it.

^^^ I'd have understood your question if you'd have mentioned that the L Wagon HAD NO ENGINE TO start with. Even the guy in the post above this one says to use 1/2 of the 2.2L motor....like you still have it or something. I know he would have just recommended to get the 2.5 harness vs try to work with 2 diff engines that he thinks you already have.

Archived