LegacyGT.com

Hit and Run Question

skimann20

I'm sorry I have so many Mass. questions but this one amazes me.

I was involved in a hit and run a little while back. :mad:

Mercedes GL550 side swipes me on the pike and drives by flicking me off and never pulls over. Three calls to 911 while following him for about 4 miles and the police will not come and help me and told me to stop pursuit. (hindsight: I should have drug him out of his car at the first red light we stopped at)

So today I call the state police to ask what was being done.

"How much damage was caused to your car?"

"about 500 dollars"

"O well then there is nothing we can do"

"Isn't a hit and run a crime"

"yes"

"well is he going to be charged?"

"Well... we're too busy to deal with little crimes like this"

"you mean to tell me I can hit people on the pike and drive away with out stopping as long as its under $1K?

"yes"

"is this the state police??? or did I get the wrong number?"

"yes this is the state police"

I asked the same question again. and he told me to call his supervisor. I call him and he told me the same story!!! he asked me what I would like him to do. Ummm so many things came to mind... I told him the right thing, enforce the law! He told me that he would call me back after talking with the first Sargent i talked to.

This can't be the truth, please tell me I'm dreaming? If so, I'm going get a crap car and hit people left and right on the pike....

id get a lawyer and press charges on the state for not enforcing the law. granted your deductable will cost 300-500 dollars alone, im the type of person that would make someone look like they suck (troopers in this situation). even if you are paying a lawyer more then you may make out with i love to prove people wrong lol. thats my two cents. ps mass sucks and if your not on welfare they dont care.

id get a lawyer and press charges on the state for not enforcing the law. granted your deductable will cost 300-500 dollars alone, im the type of person that would make someone look like they suck (troopers in this situation). even if you are paying a lawyer more then you may make out with i love to prove people wrong lol. thats my two cents. ps mass sucks and if your not on welfare they dont care.

Agreed, I'm the type of guy that works under general principle. I call it out as I see it, if you don't like it... I would just like to see them tell the courts that its okay to hit people on the pike and drive off as long as you have under 1k in damage.

That's bull. I'd press charges against the state. If they aren't willing to enforce the law, they should be willing to cover the deductible associated with them not doing their job.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

you can also take the owner of the other car if you have the plate and can get his name to small claims court

well see that's the problem. nether my insurance company nor the state police will give me his name for "security" reasons. I told the cops this and he said "well you're in a real pickle arn't you".

I'm starting to think who ever hit me "knows somebody" and that's why I'm hitting such a wall with this one. So if i end up dead in a dumpster you know why ;-)

That's bull. I'd press charges against the state. If they aren't willing to enforce the law, they should be willing to cover the deductible associated with them not doing their job.

what type of lawyer do you get to do this?

cant you run the plates and get a name? Also, if its a Mercedes, it can't be that popular, I would say put out a look out for the locals, and see if they can't pull his VIN in a parking lot.... Then look it up and carfax it...

i know a great lawyer in worcester that would tell you what you could do. he was a da and loves getting the state in trouble. and he'll get you the name of the benz.

thanks, PM me his name and number.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow this is exciting... I had something similar happen, someone with serious rage, he flicked his car at me to see if I would flinch.. and I didn't. Luckily he only managed to fold my side mirror in.. yeah, going like 70mph... amazing, not a scratch really..

I'd love to hear how this turns out..

X2 I'm very interested in hearing the results of all this... I hate mass haha

Edit: couldn't you call the police and tell them that a man in a Mercedes assaulted you with his car on the pike... aggravated assault would look good on his record... call the newspaper too and they'll probably run an article about how the police suck at life. I hope you get justice for the BS on the road... if someone hit my car while driving and didn't stop... I'd follow them until I ran out of gas!

Hey Gang, sorry for no recent updates, I've been busy fighting with another issue... my wife's Truck got hit in a parking lot and I've been dealing with it not being her fault. (she was backing into a space and this lady was driving through parking spaces and tried to go around her as she backed into the space.) So needless to say both our cars now have come back from the body shop with big red and white bulls-eyes on them!

okay enough of that. I did get a return voice message from Sgt. Mahoney two days ago. He stated that they tried to track the person down but the address on file is faulty and they were unable to locate them. and that there isn't really anything else they could do. He did wish me the best though...

The other odd thing that happen is that I got a check out of nowhere yesterday from my insurance company for my deductible, so I need to call them today and find out what they know.

So that's where things stand as of today.

I'd follow them until I ran out of gas!

This ordeal has been a lesson to me and hopefully to all of you too. I would have normally followed him, drug him out of his car and had a very polite conversation with him. But the state police told me to stop pursuit and for some godly unknown reason i did. ahhh hind site.

next time (this is my second hit and run, i only assume it is going to happen again) i'm going to tell them you better get here before I get to them.

Archived