LegacyGT.com

Clutch time Need Help

So I'm still a newbie in the Subie camp. I have an 06 LGT Stage 2 with a slipping clutch. Ugh..

Not sure what's in my car, as I bought it with mods and I've never known what clutch and flywheel I have. Either way, it's going..

Just found out that clutch and flywheel have to be replaced at the same time. Just for shit's, I called the dealership. $1300, installed, stock parts. OUCH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Basically I'm reaching out for some help on what path I should take to do this right and to not pay out the ass..

First, any aftermarket ideas that is a good combo and is affordable? Maybe just a slight aftermarket improvement over the stock parts) Or should I maybe do stock??

I've got better people (than the dealership) in the area to do the actual work (as I think doing it myself isn't going to be possible without a lot of help). I just need to know some prices to expect.. parts, labor...

Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Thanks, guys

So I just read that when you get close to 300 hp (which my stage2 should be close to) your stock clutch starts slipping. So I guess now I'm wondering what my best aftermarket clutch/fw combo is that's enough of an upgrade to handle the hp, but nothing crazy.. and of course.. price!! :(

So I just read that when you get close to 300 hp (which my stage2 should be close to) your stock clutch starts slipping. So I guess now I'm wondering what my best aftermarket clutch/fw combo is that's enough of an upgrade to handle the hp, but nothing crazy.. and of course.. price!! :(

300whp. You are no-where in the ballpark of that at stage 2. Do you want (1) reliablity (2) performance (3) cheap. Pick 2.

Figure $550+ for parts and the labor at least $350+ as a reasonable baseline for a cheap shop and go from there.

I suggest a clutchmasters cx200 or cx300 in your case and a single mass WRX flywheel.

What about an exedy stage 2 cl/fw kit for $250? Oh, I know im nowhere near 300 to the wheels!!!! I pulled 264hp and 290lbft a few weeks ago. What model wrx for the single mass FW?

Exedy is garbage. I have the ACT HD Street Clutch with the lightweight flywheel which rattles like a bastard at decel. I would recommend the ACT HD clutch with stock flywheel (no rattles), it will be a nice upgrade over stock without super harsh engagement and will be plenty strong to handle your stage 300whp 2 setup. (lol)

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the whp vs. bhp explanation, I take back my wise ass comment. :)

He said 300hp, which is probably accurate (300bhp = ~225whp).

I'm going to be in a similar situation, and my choices are between the ACT HDSS and the Clutchmasters FX200. The ACT is probably the one I'll go with, because I have the most experience with it. I'm still not 100% though.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Meant to say 246 not 264 on whp.. Anyway. So exedy is crap, huh? I had one on my turbo integra that did just fine. Bout 45k miles..

How much am i looking for the ACT HD? And best (cheapest) way to get a stock flywheel? Will any flywheel from 5spd turbo legacy or 5spd wrx work? And what's the "single mass" wrx flywheel i'm hearing about?

What about an exedy stage 2 cl/fw kit for $250? Oh, I know im nowhere near 300 to the wheels!!!! I pulled 264hp and 290lbft a few weeks ago. What model wrx for the single mass FW?

I have an exedy. First of all, stage 2 exedy is WAY too agressive for you. Stage 1 Exedy is too much considering the stupid heavy pressure plate and pedal feel. ASK ME HOW I KNOW (or anyone who has driven my LGT).

Exedy is garbage. I have the ACT HD Street Clutch with the lightweight flywheel which rattles like a bastard at decel. I would recommend the ACT HD clutch with stock flywheel (no rattles), it will be a nice upgrade over stock without super harsh engagement and will be plenty strong to handle your stage 300whp 2 setup. (lol)

EDIT: Sorry, didn't see the whp vs. bhp explanation, I take back my wise ass comment. :)

Stop spreading misleading info when you aren't in the know. Exedy is one of the leading OEM clutch mfr in the WORLD. More goes into toilet paper with a company that size than ACT grosses annually. The OEM FW is overpriced and OP wants CHEAP.

My Exedy Stage 1 has held many drag launches at stage 3 and continues to hold at stage 3.5 power but I dont expect it to withstand drag launches. Not bad since I am around 175-200 crank TQ over its rating (but yeah, its obviously garbage since someone said so :rolleyes:)

I still would not suggest it for its heavy pedal feel.

I believe there is a "review" link at the top of the page, and a transmission forum that may have some info also.

Me, I'm very happy with my Spec 2+ in the 05 wagon. Over 70,000 miles on it. Still grabs like new.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Good luck finding a straight forward answer here. I've been researching and reading up for the last 8 months so I am "in the know" when I need one.

It seems most people like the ACT HD Clutch for DD, reliable, comfortable use. That's probably where I'll go.

As for the single mass flywheel, the '05 - '07? used a dual mass flywheel. '08+ (maybe '07) switched to single mass. From what I understand, dual mass was supposed to make engagement feel smoother, but sacrificed pickup. I believe '06+ WRX used the same flywheel as the LGT, IIRC (and I'm sure I'll be corrected if I am wrong :lol::rolleyes:)

As mentioned there is lots of info in the transmission forum and the revies section.

I had excedy stg 2 it was garbage for dd. Super stiff pedal, LOTs of chatter and since it's a puck style clutch it lasted bout 20k miles!

I'm runing fx300 right now and i love! It didn't break in yet, but so far it feels great !

I had excedy stg 2 it was garbage for dd. Super stiff pedal, LOTs of chatter and since it's a puck style clutch it lasted bout 20k miles!

I'm runing fx300 right now and i love! It didn't break in yet, but so far it feels great !

Like I said, terrible pedal feel.

Can't wait to get a FX300.

I have the FX300 and love it so far. Nice feel. Changed out the stock as part of a move in progress to E85. Just FYI but if you want to go on the cheap, going to post used clutch from my '05 LGT (no slipping, 45K miles) for sale soon.

I have the ACT HD clutch with the street disc and 06 wrx flywheel, Installed it in 12/09 it has about 25,000 on it and works great. Love it. Pedal is a bit more stiff but I like it that way.

I am in the process of possibly purchasing a 08 STI tranny swap for my car so if you are looking for a babied, used one, Id let the whole thing (clutch/PP/TOB/FW) go for 500 plus shipping. I even have a brand new ACT TOB I didn't use and it has a TSK3 kit.

Just to show how I baby my car even though its stage 3, I got approx 125,000 on my stock clutch, and only reason I changed it was TOB noise when cold.

I drive a TON of highway miles for work....PM if you are interested, might save you a bit.

I had to upgrade my clutch when I went stage 2. I can't speake to the exedy or ACT, but I can to the ClutchMasters fx300. I bought it from Infamous Performance for a great price, and had it installed by a local mechanic. Clutch was great, very touchy the first few days, but then it went back to an OEM feel after about a week or so. I would highly recommend it.

If I get a 2007-2010 OEM clutch and flywheel at Stage 2, will I be looking at a smoke show or can that cluch handle non-abuse Stage 2 powah? I want close to stock engagement, no chatter (so no LWFW) and pedal feel within 20% of stock.

http://www.fredbeansparts.com/index.php/subaru-legacy-gt-o-e-m-clutch-kit-s.html

^wrx single mass flywheel and a clutchmasters 200 or 300. If you are going to do "oem" at least do an exedy oem clutchset. Exedy = very good oem parts (far from the top aftermarket mfr due to TERRIBLE heavy, stiff clutch feel)

I want someone to get an FX200 so they can report back.

It SHOULD be smoother than the FX300...

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

When I got mine, MSprank said the 200 and 300 would feel the same, the 300 could just hold more power. They were the same price so I went with the 300. The first few hundred miles the clutch pedal was quite soft feeling, and had almost instant grab. I actually stalled the car when I picked it up. After a week, the pedal and take up felt like stock.

^wrx single mass flywheel and a clutchmasters 200 or 300. If you are going to do "oem" at least do an exedy oem clutchset. Exedy = very good oem parts (far from the top aftermarket mfr due to TERRIBLE heavy, stiff clutch feel)

LOL, whut???? Thanks for the recommendation (seriously, I don't want to sound like an unappreciative dick), but I'm not spending $1K+ on the clutch.

I'll check out the Exedy options, thanks again.

Archived