LegacyGT.com

How much interest do people really have in a quiet high-flow exhaust?

TRSCobra

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply
My stromung is almost stock quiet, after adding in some headers.

With stock headers there was a slight drone. With GT Spec headers, the engine volume is the same as the exhaust volume (from the driver's seat).

Do the headers make that much of a difference? I put the Stromung CBE on the stock DP and now a Cobb catted DP and there was a noticeable difference in volume. I like it, but it annoys my wife sometimes, which inturn annoys me.

Interested for sure. Exhaust will be my first "real" upgrade and I've been looking for something that won't wake up the neighbors or piss off the girlfriend (too much ;)).

From my research, and what has already been mentioned here, it sounds like Bosal, Borla and Stromung are the only systems considered quiet.

Interested for sure. Exhaust will be my first "real" upgrade and I've been looking for something that won't wake up the neighbors or piss off the girlfriend (too much ;)).

From my research, and what has already been mentioned here, it sounds like Bosal, Borla and Stromung are the only systems considered quiet.

I wouldn't call the Stromung quiet. Mine is good bit louder than the bosal I had on before. Just as a CBE, it might not be too loud, but with DP/UP/header... it roars.

• 1 month later...

I remember back in Japanese class, we used to get Option auto magazine. Quite often, some of the larger aftermarket exhaust companies were advertising mufflers/exhausts which were designed to never exceed a certain dB level. The ads ran for quite some time, so I believe they stayed in demand for a while......

Personally, I like a little extra growl in my older Legwagon...but not exceedingly loud dB levels as is common in most tuner/tuned cars.

Bump! Okay, we gave you 2 months... Out with it! :D

Prototype should be here soon. I can't wait!

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

I myself have been looking in exhaust for my first real upgrade/modification. I like the idea of having a sleeper car and would like to keep it that way. So the preformance of an after market exhaust with the sound of a stock exhaust is right up my ally. anyone know what the most restrictive part of our exhaust is? and is the added performance of an after market exhaust noticeable?

The downpipe is the most restrictive part. A catback is mostly for sound, though there are a few extra hp associated with it.

With just a downpipe, my car sounds almost stock. But it makes a whole boat load more power than stock.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

Im interested in this as well. With up, dp, headers and a full exhaust right now im worried it might be too loud when i get everything back together. This will by my daily driver not a race car so i want to maintain a somewhat quiet ride until i really jump on the gas.

hey dudes , i just made my car super quiet,

3" stainless full exasut highflow cat next to the tranny,

stainless polished resonator next to the drive shaft and thrush stainless mufflers.

the car was fairly loud, the thrush mufflers are ment for old muscle cars where there should be exhaust pipe after them to build a lil presure to make the baffels work.

but since i don't have that i made some 2x2" square tube with a cap on the end inserts.

don't feel any loss of performance, and its ok to have a tiny restriction at the end becasue the exhaust temps drop quite a bit by the time it gets back there.

highway i don't hear anything, city drag racing all you would hear is the turbo and actual engine noise.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

hey dudes , i just made my car super quiet,

3" stainless full exasut highflow cat next to the tranny,

stainless polished resonator next to the drive shaft and thrush stainless mufflers.

the car was fairly loud, the thrush mufflers are ment for old muscle cars where there should be exhaust pipe after them to build a lil presure to make the baffels work.

but since i don't have that i made some 2x2" square tube with a cap on the end inserts.

don't feel any loss of performance, and its ok to have a tiny restriction at the end becasue the exhaust temps drop quite a bit by the time it gets back there.

highway i don't hear anything, city drag racing all you would hear is the turbo and actual engine noise.

sound clip?

What about the fujitsubo exhaust super legalis r for the legacy it's just a catback system but I keep on hearing that it's one of the quietest systems out there.... anyone have the fujitsubo or have heard it b4 really looking for that sleeper exhaust system

Prototype should be here soon. I can't wait!

Is this legit? When and where might I be able to find out the details? I am looking for a stock-ish volume high flow exhaust system, don't mind louder at WOT but prefer stock-like during 'normal' driving.

The downpipe is the most restrictive part. A catback is mostly for sound, though there are a few extra hp associated with it.

With just a downpipe, my car sounds almost stock. But it makes a whole boat load more power than stock.

Curious.

I'm looking for best bang for buck (while keeping quiet) in terms of power.

catless uppipe and catted downpipe (to pass emissions) bolts up to stock catback?

how much power will this yield with a tune? close to 240whp/280wtq would be nice i suppose...

What you're talking about is a basic stage 2. Yes, DP will bolt up to stock catback. You may need a 3" to 2.5" adapter depending on which DP you go with (some neck down to 2.5 to mate up with the stock catback). Should hit those numbers no problem.

Is this legit? When and where might I be able to find out the details? I am looking for a stock-ish volume high flow exhaust system, don't mind louder at WOT but prefer stock-like during 'normal' driving.

Prototype is here on Monday. We'll test fit, then move to full production once everything checks out!

Curious.

I'm looking for best bang for buck (while keeping quiet) in terms of power.

catless uppipe and catted downpipe (to pass emissions) bolts up to stock catback?

how much power will this yield with a tune? close to 240whp/280wtq would be nice i suppose...

I made 263whp and 337ft-lbs. It's reasonably quick.

^Perrin, avo, and x02 have made those in the past. I think avo still does.

Avo's is not resonated...so it will be louder than stock with stock mufflers attached.

- Pro amore Dei et patriam et populum -

Archived