LegacyGT.com

shift linkage

i have a 98 legacy gt when i bought it the shifter was loose like there was no springs to pull it in center or resistance to change gears i can drive it just fine but its anoying as hell what is going on and how do i fix it

• I Donated

There is a little joint halfway through the shift linkage. The bushings in it rot out and cause A LOT of play in the shifter. It happens to every 5MT Subaru.

You can pick up the part for about $70 at the dealer, however its kind of difficult to do. If you have moderate mechanical abilities, you should be able to do it yourself. You need a 12mm wrench, 12mm socket, hammer, and a punch.

-broknindarkagain

My Current Project - Click Here

COME AND TAKE IT

"The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Are you guys talking about replacing the front shifter bushing? If you are I suggest replacing it with one of the harder aftermarket two piece bushings. I have the Cobb one on my wrx and Kartboy on my Legacy and both improved the shifter feel a lot.

You might be missing the return spring. They eventually rust, and break.
[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

You dont have to spend $70 bucks. i did mine for just $15. you will need some mechanical skill. you can by the replacement bushings from subaru. and i know what you all are thinking. "you have to replace the joint because two of the bushings are non-serviceable". el-wrongo. you will need 4 of the same bushings and a new shouldered bolt. (all can be gotten from subaru or i'm sure someone a/f offers them). all you gotta do is remove the joint. grind down the head of the "non-serviceable" shaft and punch it out. viola. use new bushings and bolt and your golden. heres a crummy little diagram to help out.

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/198955_10150144296182679_506927678_6274762_666817_n.jpg

I'm a native of South Carolina. I am a dying breed.

Archived